Hello Mali & Dana - Update on Bob

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dot

Hello Mali & Dana - Update on Bob

Postby Dot » Mon May 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Hello;

Sorry I have not been here in a while. Work, then internet problems. I live in the country in a small town of about 800 people and lots of cows and if your internet goes down, it may take a bit to get it back.

Anyway, update on Bob. Last week on his chemo day he got up early to get a glass of milk from the fridge. The next thing he remembers is that is was on the floor with terrible lower back pain. (And he did not spill the milk!) Anyway, they cancelled chemo and he had xrays - showed nothing, CT scan done showed the tumor in his liver was still getting smaller, but there was a ???shadow. It could be just a shadow, but they were not sure. He then got a bone scan done. Today we met with the Oncologist and she said all was clear, there was no evidence of disease progression to the spine or anywhere. It has been a long weekend just waiting to get results. Tomorrow he gets his 11th round of chemo.

His doctor said she was going to present his case to the "tumor" board next week to plan what will be done after his 12th round of chemo. I am hopefull that he can have the liver resection. She also said that after round 12 he would get another set of CT scans and a PET scan.

I will tell you that on Sun I did get on this site and was reading your replys to Andrea. I just sat here and cried. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for her. I couldn't bring myself to reply to you that day. I kind of broke down - right now I feel so much anger, but I am not sure at what. Maybe because today I feel so helpless.

I did get your post today. It sounded like you and the family had a real nice mini holiday. Hopefully your Mom's hospital stay will be short and they will be able to help get her stronger. It just is so frustrating that we cannot do more to help.

Well, I am going to sign off now. I guess I just needed to vent and I know both of you have probably been through the same thing.

God Bless and keep in touch,

Dot

Dana

Hi Dot

Postby Dana » Tue May 02, 2006 1:46 am

Hi Dot,

thanks for your post. I was thinking about you and Bob and I really do hope that things are moving positively.
To be honest I can't take Andrea off my mind. I am really in a state of anger over this and as we all know there is not much we can do but hope and pray. It's much more than relating to her because we are mothers of young children... it's not just this.... Why is there so much sufferance?

My Dad's second sister is undergoing surgery on her colon next thursday and I'm a bit worried. I just hope my family is through with all this. My dad's first sister is on 6th cycle of chemo for colon cancer-I and needless to remind you that my mum died from mets to liver.
So I have it in both sides of my family. My colonscoopy is on May 28th and I'm really nervous about it, I don't have good feelings.

I must get going, a long day today. MY daughter is going on her first school trip to Rome to meet the Pope. So I'm nervous about this too.

Dot I embrace you with so much affection. Tell Bob I'm thinking about him a lot and please be strong.
Love
Dana

P-S.
Ciao Mali!!

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Tue May 02, 2006 6:11 am

Dana,

I, too, can't understand why there is so much suffering. I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Dealing with cancer is much more difficult than I could have ever imagined - not that I gave it much thought before the diagnosis. Yet, in my struggle to look on the bright side I have arrived at something: at least we have a chance. We weren't gunned down in the street. We didn't die in a fiery plane crash. We don't live in a war-torn a disease-filled nation.

My greatest thanks is that I have this disease instead of my daughters. There are a lot of parents out there watching their children suffer from cancer and other diseases.

Like many of you, I can't Andrea off my mind. I just melt into a pool of tears every time I imagine having to tell my three daughters what she just had to explain to her two little darlings. It's heartbreaking and anything but fair.

It's all very difficult and I find it impossible to really come to any kind of peace about the fragility of life and the suffering endured. I always come back to feeling overwhelmed and realizing that I have to take this one minute at a time. I wish I had something more profound to offer, but I'm still finding my way through cancer, life and the idea of life ending. And I understand everything both of you are experiencing.

Peace,

Michelle

Dana

thanks

Postby Dana » Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 am

Hello Michelle,

thank you for your lovely words. What you say is so real there isn't anything I can add. I feel so sorry for people who are suffering and try to help as much as I can. It's hard to watch a loved one die because nothing can be done. It's feeling impotent that really hurt me.
Had it been me, I really can't imagine not being able to see my own children grow up.
I admire you all for your strength and courage.

Hello Dot, thinking of you and Bob. Ciao Mali

A huge embrace
Dana

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”