Is There Hope?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TeeWidow

Is There Hope?

Postby TeeWidow » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 pm

My husband was just diagnosed with colon cancer which has also gone into his liver. Our usual physician is referring us to an oncologist, so presently we have only minimal info. Our doctor did say it was not operable. After I read some of the messages on the board, I felt that there might be hope after all. I just need to know what options we may have.

Darlene :(

ASTEPHENS33

Welcome

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:44 am

Welcome to the forum. There is always hope and you have people out here who care. One thing I found was that when I first got the news I had cancer, I was, of course, scared, but also overwhelmed by all the information that has to be processed. One suggestion that I found particularly useful, was to get copies of all my tests. I also tape recorded the first couple of meetings with my oncologist/staff, so I could easily go back for the information I missed.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue May 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Darlene,

Welcome to the Colon Club! Is there hope? What a question. I thought I may share with you a part of my journey. I was dx with stage IV colon cancer at the age of 30 and given little hope of survival. I am here today in this moment in time to tell you that I have no evidence of disease. Hope, You bet there is hope. Not just a little but lots! So you want to know your husbands options? First, I would recommend a second opinion. Never too many opinions. I have three medical teams through out the country and each weighs in before major decisions must be made. Next up, do research. Find out what is technologically available. Currently, Chemo regimens include but are not limited to: Oxilplatin and camptosar in different combinations many times coupled with monoclonial antibodies like avastin and/or erbitux. Surgery. Radiofrequency Ablation or Cryo ablation. There is Sir Spheres technology...I assure you that there are options and lots of them. Always ask lots of questions to the medical team and demand answers. Be proactive in the management of your health! Please know that you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers! Go kick a little cancer a#@!

Erika

Is there hope?

Postby Erika » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Yes, Darlene, there is hope.

That's not to say you and your husband don't have a long road ahead. Gear up and start fighting. Holly is right on- you need to take charge, get informed, and ask lots of questions. Don't be afraid to get a second, third opinion. Surgery just may be an option.
You may feel overwhelmed, full of questions and anxiety. I know it is a lot to digest, but those of us on this forum will do what we can to help.

Keep us in the loop,
Erika
diagnosed November 2000, stage IV with liver mets, NED since October 2001

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”