Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Badass

Re: Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's

Postby Badass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Well, I am hardly a veteran and have the same struggles myself. I am finding that the psyllium husk helps a lot to slow things down. I bought "NOW" brand because it is organic and got it from Amazon. Does seem to firm things up and slow down the system. You have to build up slowly-- I started with one teaspoon a day and now I am taking one tablespoon twice a day. You have to take it with only a couple of ounces of liquid and don't drink anything for an hour afterward-- that way it will soak up liquid in your gut. Provides bulk to the stool and makes it less messy and slower moving. My gas was helped with an OTC gas lozenge and is gone now. I am also really sticking with the low residue diet. I think my really bad clusters happened when I strayed from that. We are all pretty early out from surgery and my surgeon's nurse practitioner said that things are still pretty irritated in there-- to be patient and stick with a gentle diet. I hope that helps! I seem to be having good results with that (fingers crossed).

By the way, Sammy, I laughed out loud about the toilet party!

Good luck to both of you, Sammy and Kelltx!
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Sammy and Jane :
thanks for the updates
today my lunch was as bland as possibly there can be - rice, potato n eggs boiled with some lentil - no spice other than turmeric which is now a regular in my diet due to its power to kill cancer.
Will see how the reaction is to it. I also realized I have to eat and not skip meals like I did last night. So I will eat tonite the same meal.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Ironically I didnt have to take pain meds yesterday but today, maybe for cooking and washing dishes for sometime, I had to take one pill. Or the pain could be because I ran to the bathroom from what was only gas mistaken to avoid accident.
I will ask my surgeon about psyllium when I see her to remove staples on Friday.
On a positive note, a friend of mine at work just now learned about my cancer and revealed that his girlfriend's dad had colon cancer in his 40s and now in his late 60s is as active as can ever be.
After having a pretty low day today, this surely uplifted my spirits.
Hugs

Deb in Texas

Postby Deb in Texas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

I am following your log with interest as I expect to get my reversal in May. I have to admit I'm a little worried about how long it will take to return to work and be comfortable about it.
Deb, f50
Dx 49 on 5-4-12 RCa
5.5 weeks of Xeloda+rad 5-12 to 7-12
Lovely month of normalcy in August!
LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
Stage IIIa, T2,N1
FOLFOX6 10-16-12 x 12 rounds for 6 mos
Round 12 completed
Ileo reversal following chemo 2013

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Deb,

Good luck with your reversal in May. There are other posts also if you search 'reversal'. One of the most interesting and informative ones was by Surrounded by Love. You may want to read it.

I had a good night sleep last night, and I give credit to my bland meals. But then, this morning, DH suddenly woke up and cooked lunch and brought a bowl in front of me, which I couldn't resist. He is a damn good chef and does not know how to make bland food.

Lets see how it treats me. Keeping my fingers crossed that its bearable.

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

kelltx wrote:Deb,

Good luck with your reversal in May. There are other posts also if you search 'reversal'. One of the most interesting and informative ones was by Surrounded by Love. You may want to read it.

I had a good night sleep last night, and I give credit to my bland meals. But then, this morning, DH suddenly woke up and cooked lunch and brought a bowl in front of me, which I couldn't resist. He is a damn good chef and does not know how to make bland food.

Lets see how it treats me. Keeping my fingers crossed that its bearable.

Living in Texas, and being married to a Mexican female, spice is everywhere. It's a shell game. For me spice did not bother me at all, in fact, without it, I would have probably starved. I would have probably enjoyed your husbands food, as I just can't stomach bland. I believe I remember someone jealous of my tolerance of Jalepenos, as they grow in my garden,though it was a pain in the @#@$$#%@$.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Michael,

I am suffering after having my husband's recipe. Just had a spoonful of imodium for having spent the last two hours in the bathroom. :evil:

I am jealous too how you can dig the salsa. I love our texmex but I cant dare now :(

Hopefully someday the colon will co-operate again.

Badass

Postby Badass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Kelltx,
Sorry to hear of your troubles... we seem to be paying for our fun :(

I am wondering if it is the lentils, not the spices, that are messing with you. Legumes are tough on the belly!
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Jane
U could be right. My DH said its the beans that caused this, not the little turmeric and pepper (!!!) he mixed with onion and garlic to help me get nourished (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I think the beans triggered it and the pepper may have assisted. Turmeric has always been an antiseptic, and I had it yesterday. So either of these two or both have caused the mischief.
I have retired to bed after another long hour in the bathroom just now.
Praying to God to spare me tonite. :(

Love n hugs

SammyJ
Facebook Username: Samantha.douglas

Postby SammyJ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 am

Hey Kelltx, given my appalling diet today (which included me unwrapping chocolates from under the Christmas tree) I am hardly one to give advice but I am steering well clear of onions and garlic. Vowing to not whinge about my bathroom antics again until I stop eating things I shouldn't! :oops:
Diagnosed Stage 3A Rectal Cancer March 12, age 39
ULAR and temp ileostomy March 12
Folfox started April 12 , completed Oct 12.
NED 16/10/12
Ileostomy reversal 23 Nov 12....

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 am

Bland diet is temporary, slowly you will be eating almost everything. At six months my list of no's was pretty short. Nowadays garlic, lentils and beans don't bother much, but I do avoid before a client meeting or other function jut in case. My no-no list includes asparagus (think toxic dump smells) and anything made with a roux, though if I have nowhere to go, I will suffer for a bowl of my husband or son's gumbo!

Goo luck it does get better! The 11-2 bathroom parties will become less frequent after awhile. I always swore my colon waiting for me to relax to let loose.
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Sammy - how is the result from the unwrapping chocolates? Hope you are not in torture.

Thanks Raygirl for the input. I will stick to no garlic onion and beans legumes for now.

Imodium did help last nite finally and I had just plain rice and boiled potato for dinner which rewarded me with a good night sleep. Didn't do anything bad yet. Had a bit of chinese fried rice but it was so bland, it did not really bother.

Had 2 normal bm so far and took imodium again twice just as a precaution. Lesson learned.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:37 am

I follow a low fodmap diet, which need not be low residue, it just avoids all the irritating sugars and carbs. Wheat is the biggie for me.

I can tolerate other high fodmap things like garlic in small quantities, the worst thing by FAR for me is plain ol sugar in any sort of quantity, it's the fructose in it that does it.

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 am

and see cupcakes were the first non-bland food that I discovered that didn't irriate my system, unfortunately for my waisteline. I also never had much trouble with cheese. So everyone's new plumbing is different, that's why a food journal and a lot of detective work looking for pattern is so important in the early days.

kelltx

Postby kelltx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Been sticking to bland only now. And I have decided not to touch fiber till after I am absolutely sure. I think its the fiber thats messing it up. Have to find what else other than rice and potato work but a bit scared to try anything new at this time. After about 6-7 bm all day today, I turned to prayers and I think that finally helped.
The Connecticut tragedy is overwhelming. Can't keep my mind off the parents who wont celebrate their Christmas :(
Hugs for all of you :(

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 pm

If you feel far enough along, to get filled up, without a lot of spice, I like chicken pot pies :wink:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”