Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Badass

UPDATE Re: Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's

Postby Badass » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

A revolution from one day to the next! I can't believe it!! I didn't have my morning coffee one day... no clusters! And this has continued for a week. Usually, I have one cup in the morning so I assumed it might prompt a bowel movement in the morning but I didn't think it was possibly related to my nighttime clustering that goes on for hours. It is not the caffeine either because I can drink lots of tea with no probs. I didn't have my coffee last week because I had a doctor's appointment and I noticed that day was unusually good, so I decided to stop coffee. I have instantly gone from 12-20 BMs a day to 0-2. And I don't walk around with that "feeling" all day that I have to go or something is "in there."

I don't know what it is- I have been reading what I can find on line about coffee and have learned that there are unidentified chemicals in coffee beyond caffeine that can be irritating to intestines.

I experimented with just a half cup one afternoon and voila, painful clustering for an hour and half in the evening-- again several hours later.

So, if you are having problems with frequency, try cutting out coffee,even if you just have a little early in the day.

This is the happiest I have been since diagnosis. I feel normal!!!!!

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

teachpdx

Re: Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's

Postby teachpdx » Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Jane - I am so happy for you. I know waht you mean about that feeling - drives me crazy. I will keep that in mind since I am only 8 weeks out and usually drink coffee daily. I have found that following coffee with a chaser of psyillium helps too. I just ate my first apple since my reversal - I couldn't take it any more I needed something fresh. Kristi
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

laneylou

Postby laneylou » Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 pm

MarkR, if you see this, let us know how the reversal went! (guessing you probably had it already, since on 4/26 you said "about a week") :D

Starting to get kinda nervous myself - doing the pre-surgery routine of trying to wrap up things at work, getting the house cleaned up, paying bills ahead of time, making lists of what to bring to the hospital... but I'm also getting excited! The docs and nurses at my hospital were practically high-fiving me - anesthesiologist was like, "Don't you worry, we'll put you to sleep and you'll wake up with no bag!"

Not that I hate the bag (I refer fondly to "Donald", as he "quacked" a lot when he was new), I really appreciate the whole life-saving thing and after an adjustment period it's really been no big deal, but I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to saying goodbye.
Laine, dx @ 39, 4/12
T3N0M0 Stage IIA
Emergency IVF, 4/12
Chemorad, LAR/temp ileo, FOLFOX (no oxi after #2)
DVT on chemo; IVC filter
Reversal/port out 5/13
IVC filter finally out 2/14
NED (clean CT, scope, CEA)

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Just bumping this up.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

SammyJ
Facebook Username: Samantha.douglas

Postby SammyJ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 pm

Good idea Michael.

I have finally had some good progress. Recap is that I have no rectum and had my reversal late November 2012. I had a really hard time for months, going around 20 times a day, little unsatisfying pellets. As well as real pain, discomfort and plenty of gas. Followed by an obstruction in April.

Finally I am pleased to report that I have reached great regular habits. Maybe twice a day, big adult sized normal stools around 4 - 5 times a week. Then I usually have a couple of days of constipation then a nice big clean out. I have eaten onion and garlic and m now tolerating raw veggies. I am travelling at the moment and things are a bit all over the place but perfectly manageable. I never dared to dream I would get to this point as my surgeon told me after 3 - 6 mths I would only have incremental improvements.

My only complaint is that sometimes the stools I do feel kind of acidic, they really burn or irritate my poor sensitive skin, and i haven't figured out any particular food that causes it.

All in all a massive improvement just as I was starting to give up hope!
Diagnosed Stage 3A Rectal Cancer March 12, age 39
ULAR and temp ileostomy March 12
Folfox started April 12 , completed Oct 12.
NED 16/10/12
Ileostomy reversal 23 Nov 12....

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:00 am

Onya Sammy,
Glad things are working for you and you know, sometimes Sh*& happens huh :D
Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Badass

Postby Badass » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Sammy,
Great to hear from you, and even greater that you are enjoying such poop progress! May it continue! Hugs to you.

Jane
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh, you know this was Jane's idea Sammy, and this thread has had over 120 hits since yesterday. I'm approaching 20 months since reversal, and it seems like the only time I have a problem, is when I eat Ice cream. Of course, it may not be that much of a problem, if I didn't eat it after a few beers :roll: I hope some of the new people considering reversal , get to read this thread.
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 am

Have any of you given up certain foods or food groups that you feel has had a positive impact on your bathroom issues? Do you all drink coffee or does that give people problems?

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

I have discovered I cannot eat dark leafy lettuces such as romaine, spinach etc. Iceburg...no problems. Red meat is also a big no no...but I don't tend to eat it anyway...maybe once a year. I also might have issues if I eat out...makes you wonder about the quality.. Early in the process i could not eat cooked mushrooms...ZOOOOOOOOM right through me. Now ok. I think daily enema controls most of my issues though.
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

Badass

Postby Badass » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey Michael,
Thanks for being a booster for this thread! It is nice to see it take on a life of its own.

Things got soooo much better for me after I gave up COFFEE!
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

rusuja wrote:Hey Michael,
Thanks for being a booster for this thread! It is nice to see it take on a life of its own.

Things got soooo much better for me after I gave up COFFEE!

Oh no, not coffee :shock: :shock: :shock: , that would be worse than giving up beer :roll:
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:05 pm

SammyJ wrote:Good idea Michael.

I have finally had some good progress. Recap is that I have no rectum and had my reversal late November 2012. I had a really hard time for months, going around 20 times a day, little unsatisfying pellets. As well as real pain, discomfort and plenty of gas. Followed by an obstruction in April.

Finally I am pleased to report that I have reached great regular habits. Maybe twice a day, big adult sized normal stools around 4 - 5 times a week. Then I usually have a couple of days of constipation then a nice big clean out. I have eaten onion and garlic and m now tolerating raw veggies. I am travelling at the moment and things are a bit all over the place but perfectly manageable. I never dared to dream I would get to this point as my surgeon told me after 3 - 6 mths I would only have incremental improvements.

My only complaint is that sometimes the stools I do feel kind of acidic, they really burn or irritate my poor sensitive skin, and i haven't figured out any particular food that causes it.

All in all a massive improvement just as I was starting to give up hope!

It's wonderful you are making such progress Sammy. You've been really patient and stayed the course. Congratulations
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:40 am

Hi everyone
Decided to post here in hopes someone may have similar experience . Hubby had illeo reversal done on 9/12 it ended up being more complicated due to a lot or scar tissue so instead of just using the stoma opening they ended up opening with middle incision. 2 weeks after surgery he ended up with 104 fever and red skin around incision we went to Er and they found he had a hole in his small intestine. Surgeon is not sure if leak is coming from connection or there is another hole that happenned during surgery. He is on TPN now and they are waiting for the hole to heal... It's been 20 days since we discovered this issue and no progress ... He can't be on any chemo since he can't take anything by mouth and since they want him to heal first but so worried the cancer will spread... Has anyone experienced this and how long did it take for the hole to heal?
Thanks so much
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:32 pm

pukalania wrote:Hi everyone
Decided to post here in hopes someone may have similar experience . Hubby had illeo reversal done on 9/12 it ended up being more complicated due to a lot or scar tissue so instead of just using the stoma opening they ended up opening with middle incision. 2 weeks after surgery he ended up with 104 fever and red skin around incision we went to Er and they found he had a hole in his small intestine. Surgeon is not sure if leak is coming from connection or there is another hole that happenned during surgery. He is on TPN now and they are waiting for the hole to heal... It's been 20 days since we discovered this issue and no progress ... He can't be on any chemo since he can't take anything by mouth and since they want him to heal first but so worried the cancer will spread... Has anyone experienced this and how long did it take for the hole to heal?
Thanks so much

I have not heard of this problem. I did have a major blockage and needed surgery to remove it. I would keep very close tabs with your surgeon, until this is resolved. I would think this question is way beyond, any advise you could get here.
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”