Low Carb diet best for Colon Cancer Survival?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jenhopesprays

Low Carb diet best for Colon Cancer Survival?

Postby jenhopesprays » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:43 pm

I have been following a low carb diet after I saw this piece on 60 minutes. I eat more lots of chicken and fish with a salad or vegies and have add some fat to make it doable. I find the added fat helps me not miss my old friend sugar.

Check out this study about low carb and colon cancer survival.

http://fightcolorectalcancer.org/resear ... recurrence

Here's the 60 minutes piece:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n
Stage IV: dx 8/07 at 39.. colon & liver resection & rt ovary
17 rounds of folfox.
12/08 ovary tumor removed with HIPEC & folfiri w/Avastin
9/11 liver resection # 2 followed by chemo
NED

Have Hope with Capitol H

Ontario Guy

Re: Low Carb diet best for Colon Cancer Survival?

Postby Ontario Guy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Like most people on this board, I'm no expert. However, I'm not going out on too much of a limb by stating that high glycemic load is bad for a whole lot of reasons: higher risk of diabetes, heart attack and stroke, and, our favourite, colorectal cancer. Avoiding that load is a bit trickier than it sounds. Present in just about every prepared food on the market is high fructose corn syrup, which, according to some nutritionists, is a lot worse than sugar. Far better to do as you do and cook your own meals. That way you know what's in them!

As for fats, they aren't all bad, but sometimes trying to figure out which are the good ones and which aren't can be confusing. Personally, I cook everything with olive oil which seems to be acceptable to most nutritionists.

One thing is for sure: stay away from anything resembling trans fats.

OG

gfpiv

Re: Low Carb diet best for Colon Cancer Survival?

Postby gfpiv » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Lately there has been a lot of public demonizing of "evil carbs" and "toxic sugar", which I feel is a little overblown. Carbs in moderation - especially less-processed ones - are fine in and of themselves IMHO. All cells need glucose to survive.

That said, I am a HUGE proponent of limiting blood sugar and insulin level spikes for cancer patients. Foods that cause a sharp rise in blood glucose (i.e. foods with a high glycemic index) trigger the secretion of insulin and insulin growth factor (IGF-1), two hormones that promote cancer growth. So I am fully on board with limiting added sugar (esp. soda and desserts) where possible...as tough as that can be. The good news is that adding fiber, fat and protein to your meals along with the carbs/sugar will increase the time it takes your body to metabolize the carbs/sugar, and therefore result in fewer glucose and insulin "spikes". Also, exercise is very helpful in controlling blood glucose/insulin levels.
Chip
DX stage IV CC Jan '10, numerous unresectable liver mets
FOLFOX + Avastin Feb-Jul '10
Colon resection, HAI install Aug '10
Systemic FOLFIRI and hepatic FUDR Dec'10-May'12
Chemo break May'12-pres (tumors calcified & stable, knock on wood)
Billiary bypass surgery and SBRT on pesky liver met in 2015

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”