Best Hospital in the Midwest?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Iowaboy

Best Hospital in the Midwest?

Postby Iowaboy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi,

I'm new here, I live in Davenport Iowa.

Just wondering about which Hospitals are the Best for treating colon cancer in my area. (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota)

Also, how many of you travel long ways for treatments, or do you stay local?

Thanks

Iowaboy

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Hello Iowaboy and welcome to the Colon Club!! I am an "Iowagirl" and was dx with Stage IIIa Colon Cancer in Jan. of 2005. I had my surgery done in Oskaloosa but my Oncologist was and is, Dr. Roy Molina from Des Moines. He works out of Mercy and Ia. Methodist. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor and have had many people tell me he is the best there is in the Des Moines area anyway. He will sit and listen to your many questions and answer them all. If he has no answer, he will find it and get back to you. He treated me aggressively and with much care, concern and patience. I would HIGHLY recommend him!! If you have anymore questions please feel free to email me!! I have been done with my Chemo since Aug. and have been cancer free with great bloodtest and CEA numbers.
Peg

judkoe

Postby judkoe » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Welcome, IowaBoy. I live in Davenport, too. I'm one of the lucky ones - Stage 1 rectal cancer. Found it early and treated agressively. I'm currently on chemo - 5FU. If you want, you could email me directly and I'll answer any questions you may have.
Judy K.

Christine

Postby Christine » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:33 pm

From a former midwestern girl (Omaha & the Twin Cities), the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN has one of the best cancer centers in the country. I know a couple of people who have gone there after being unhappy with the treatment options and prognosis that they received from their local doctors.

Regarding staying locally, most cancer centers are used to having patients come from far away. Some have housing available. Sometimes nearby hotels will offer a discount for patients of a particular hospital. When you call for an appointment, I would ask what they suggest.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon May 01, 2006 7:25 am

I'm from Amarillo TX, that;s at the very top, in the panhandle. When I was diagnosed I asked my Dr's where they recomend that I go for a second opinion. I assumed they would say M.D. Anderson in Houston, but they said without a doubt go to Mayo in Rochester. Hope this helps.

Brad

tammy figg

Postby tammy figg » Tue May 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis is rated in the top 10 in the nation. They are a learning hospital and have Washington University doctors. If you need more infor mation e-mail me at figgtree@hotmail.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”