In the Hosptial

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momsCancer

In the Hosptial

Postby momsCancer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Mom's been in hospital since Friday. Safety net feels good. Think everything is going well. She's continued to run fever of 100 to 102. Blood Pressure 105/46 at 5:00 today, pulse tonight 110. She's had 4 units blood (think red blood cells, not sure) on Saturday. Urine specimens and blood tests have all come back infection free until today. They are taking blood from PICC and blood straight from arm. Blood from PICC showed infection (Gram and Cocci in clusters) not sure what that means but nurse wrote it down for me. They gave her antibotic shot called vancomycin for that. they are giving other antibotics; Alvelox, Mystatin and Flogyl. She had a phosophorus drip in IV earlier today b/c low electrolytes. Tonight, nurse gave her MS contin- extended morphine, dildaudid (more pain stuff) and an ambian to sleep. Amazing friends are helping, I'm calmer, and mom's in good hands as she gets better.
MOM has Stage 2 Anal Cancer on chemo (5-FU and Mitomycin-C) for 6 weeks. Looking to vent and give/receive support. My blog address is;

www.onecrazeemommy.blogspot.com

I should change the name to one crazee daughter, I think.

willtowin

Re: In the Hosptial

Postby willtowin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 am

It is good that you are there taking care of her. I am sure that is a comfort that you are so aware and looking after her. I just had my surgery and my mom was there alot for me. It was comforting and her awareness helped w/ a few complications that the nurses missed. Wishing you support and strength right now.
Stage 1 -4-25-08 (lymphovascular invasion)
poorly diff
Hnpcc negative
TAH/BSO 5-08
Folfox COMPLETED 12-26-08
NED as of 12-09
gallbladder removed 3-09
appendectomy 11-2012
1-2013 FNH of liver, or Adenoma
44 year old mom to 3-10, 11 & 14

justsing

Postby justsing » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:44 am

Wow. You guys are really getting put through the ringer on this!

Safety net is the right word. I'm sure it feels good to have your concerns validated. You weren't crazy. There really has been something WRONG! And also to have expert help right there, not 20 frantic phone calls away.

The infection doesn't sound like a good development. It's always impossible to know where she picked it up, but they will test it to figure out which antibiotic to give her and hopefully get it zapped quickly.

I hope you can get some rest. You've been doing an amazing job so far!!!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:40 am

You sound like you are doing better too. I'm glad that your mother is in good hands and is getting the care she needs. This has been such a nightmare for all of you. I hope you are both getting some well needed rest. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 am

You followed your own instincts and you were right, probably saved your mom from more pain and discomfort. Keep it up, your mother is lucky to have you as her advocate. Hope she is on the road to wellness now, or, just feeling better than before! You sound better rested also, take advantage of that, you deserve it.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”