Collar bone pain - could it be port problem?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Collar bone pain - could it be port problem?

Postby NWgirl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:39 pm

I had chemo this past Monday. On Wednesday I had my Nulestra shot (or whatever it's called - the one for the white blood count). I know this makes some peoples bones hurt but usually it just makes my skin feel like it's been kind of beat on. Weird, I know. Anyway, my collar bone on the right side started to hurt about the time my skin started hurting, so I just kind of figured it was the shot. But now I'm wondering if it could be a problem with my port. Pain killers don't help. I can't lift my right arm over my head or even close because of the pain. And since it is so localized and my port is on that side, I'm wondering now if there is a problem with the port. The pain is right underneath the collar bone, right above the port.

I'm calling my doctor in the morning as it really hurts, but just wondered if anyone else has gone through this type of odd pain? There doesn't seem to be any inflammation around the port site and I don't have a fever.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

momsCancer

Re: Collar bone pain - could it be port problem?

Postby momsCancer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 am

Hi Belle,
Although PICC not same as port, mom had pain from her PICC. She said that it felt like she couldn't lift her arm it hurt so bad. I'm not sure why or what but it went away. She had that same shot for white blood cells on a Friday. The weekend that followed was pretty rough. I hope you get relief soon.
Thoughts and prayers!
MOM has Stage 2 Anal Cancer on chemo (5-FU and Mitomycin-C) for 6 weeks. Looking to vent and give/receive support. My blog address is;

www.onecrazeemommy.blogspot.com

I should change the name to one crazee daughter, I think.

SusanE

Postby SusanE » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:16 am

I recommend that you get a doppler ultrasound to check for a DVT, blood clot. I had similar pain from my PICC and it turned out that I had a clot from my PICC in my upper arm all the way up to my clavicle. My arm was also in pain and felt really tight, hard to move. DVT's can be life threatening if part of the clot breaks off and goes into your lung causing a pulmonary embolism. They put me on low dose coumadin, 1 mg for the remaining 3 months. That did the trick.

Best of luck. Sometimes the clots resolve on their own, however, I think it is best to get it checked out.
Susan
10/05 - Rectal ca T2, transanal resection, chemoradiation, zeloda 6 mos
8/07 - Recurrence, stage IIIB, T3N1M0
9/07 - APR, colostomy, chemoradiation
12/07 - FOLFOX 6 mos
4/09 - Lung mets w/ nodes, bilateral VATS
6/09 - Folfiri/Avastin

justsing

Postby justsing » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 am

I second the motion on getting checked out for a blood clot. It's not uncommon around a port.
Definitely a symptom to put on the front burner.

Good luck!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Just an update. I saw the chemo nurse this morning. She checked the port - it worked fine, but she sent me to the hospital for a "live X-Ray" with a dye injection just to see what was going on inside the port. The X-Ray showed no problems with the port and no blood clots (I asked). The best they can figure is I slept on it wrong and it's a muscular pain. I have no redness, swelling or fever, so infection has pretty much been ruled out. It's frustrating that I had to waste all this time on nothing, but the nurse said it was worth checking as this is an odd thing to happen and it could have been something. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on the pain and let the nurse know if it gets any worse.
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Just an update on this. On Monday I saw my chemo doc - told him pain is still there, though a little better. He sent me for a doppler ultra sound to be sure no blood clots in the areas surrounding the port. I almost didn't do the ultra sound as by Wednesday I noticed significant improvement (pain levels ways down); but he said go anyway just to be sure. The ultra sound showed no blood clots.

Then after the ultra sound I went to get my 5FU pump taken off and get my nulestra shot (I think that's what it's called - the one for your white blood count). That was Wednesday - Thursday I woke up with MAJOR pain in my collar bone/shoulder area once again. It has got to be the shot that is causing this pain. It happened the day after my last nulestra shot - and now again. Not much I can do about it. At my next chemo treatment I'll let my chemo doc know what's going on and see if we can try to skip the shot - see what happens.

I've heard this shot can "cause pain in your bones" but mine is very localized in just one area - but boy, what a pain!!!! And it wasn't until my 8th FOLFOX treatment until it started to cause me problems. Before this it just made my skin feel a little weird. Just thought I'd post this update in case anyone else out there has had a similar experience.
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I had a Neulasta shot only once and was fortunate to just have minor aches and pains from it for a couple of days. When I went back for my next chemo treatment the oncologist (not mine, he wasn't in that day) wanted me to get another Neulasta shot even though my white blood cells had rebounded in an incredible way. I flat out told the nurse I was not taking the shot. If it aint broke, don't fix it! So...now I have had four more treatments without Neulasta, which is incredibly expensive by the way.

My cousin had Neulasta shots while being treated for breast cancer. She is definitely not a complainer about anything. She said the shots were worse than her chemo. She said it felt like someone was stabbing her with an ice pick.

So...it's likely this collar bone bane could be from Neulasta. Good on your for getting it checked out, though.
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Getting stabbed with an ice pick is exactly what it feels like - with Norman Bates on the other end! :twisted:
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:46 pm

My port sometimes wont give blood. They make me turn my head and get up and move my neck, cause I was told they "kink" sometimes by the way you sleep. That has been my only problem.

I get the Neulasta every Friday of a treatment week, the day after I am diconnected from the 5FU pump. That weekend I am in a recliner, as my pain is in my hips and legs only, yes like an ice pick, and there is nothing that helps it. Its been tough, but I dont plan anything or do anything that weekend. Just lie with my legs elevated and that seems to make the ache a little better, and watch tv. Not to mention watching the summer go by, without being able to plan anything.

I am on treatment week 10 of 12, and my feet are now tingling, (from the oxy) and I am worried every week, cause my platelets are low on my off week, too low for treatment, but then I have to see him again, and have more bloodwork, and it usually bounces back by then cause I feel good too. Other wise they would send me home, and it would push back my end of the treatment schedule, and I want it done!!

Hope That Helps!
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”