Considering Quitting Treatments

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Michelle

Considering Quitting Treatments

Postby Michelle » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:16 am

I was diagnosed, in August 2005, with stage II colon cancer. I've been through one six-week cycle of chemo and did 28 days of radiation with chemo on the first five and last four days of radiation. I'm almost halfway through my second round of chemo and I want to quit.

I am definitely not as sick with this round of chemo thanks to the elimination of decadron, but I'm not convinced that chemo is the right thing for me. My cancer had gone through the colon wall but my lymph nodes were clear and the cancer had not spread. They removed 10 inches of my colon and had clean margins but the margins were not as large as they would have liked due to the fact that my cancer was so low in the colon. I believe that I'm cancer-free and I'm more concerned about the long-term risks of the chemo drugs. I'm afraid I'm more at risk for as of yet unknown side effects than I am for cancer recurrence.

I know the decision is up to me but I need more information. Of course, I've spoken with the doctors about all of this and I trust my doctors - I'm having trouble with the rather short history (perhaps there is a longer history of which I am unaware) of oxaliplatin.

Any suggestions, information, stories?

Michelle

ASTEPHENS33

Feelings

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks for your openess. I can relate. I was stage IIIA - in my case, the cancer had not grown through the wall, but had gone into 1 of 33 lymph nodes. My chances if I did nothing were 85% of no relapse and with the chemo 90%. I decided that I needed to fight and taking the chemo was that for me. I decided, however, to do Xeloda only (the oral form of 5FU) because the side effects and long term toxicity were not as great at the FOLFOX. I am now in my 7th out of 8th cycle of the chemo regime. Some days I have that "I don't want to do this anymore" feeling, then other times its I want to fight and do more, and then I just get bored with it all. I've got under 4 weeks left. Right now I'm feeling sad and depressed. My whole life was organized around the cancer regime and then it will be over and all I can do is wait.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue May 02, 2006 3:53 pm

Michele,

Welcome to the Colon Club and congratulations on your survivorship! I would agree with you that the decision to discontinue chemotherapy is your decision to make. However, I thought I would share the following with you: I was dx with stage IV in September 2003. Though we belong to two very different clubs if you will the decision was a no brainer for me. When I consulted at MD Anderson in February 2004, I asked the oncologist: Can you prove to me that I have cancer? This was important before I decided on a regimen. To my surprise, the team told me that there was no evidence of residual disease. Wow, stage IV, brilliant medical teams and yet inability to convince me of residual disease. What to do? The team gave me four options: 1. Watch and do nothing, 2. 5 FU and Leuk only, 3. CPT-11, 5 FU and Leuk or 4. Folfox. The oncologist placed a smily face next to option four. So 4 it was. Chemotherapy and fight with everything I had within the depths of my soul. I was not given much hope for survival and I am here today in this moment in time to tell you that I am without evidence of disease. Oxiplatin is no picnic, however, the short term side effects that you are experiencing will pass. I was on Folfox with the fatigue, neuropathies, etc. The neuropathies subsided in about 75 days post my late treatment. You say that you are concerned with the residual side effects and the feeling of sick and are weighing the benefit to recurrence. As for the decadron, it is a steroid that often is given to off set nausea of chemotherapy. Yes, you will gain weight but it too will be lost post chemotherapy. Oxilplatin was discovered by the French and was FDA approved in February 2004. It was used in clinical trials in both the US and Europe for many years prior to FDA Approval. What specifically do you wish to know about the chemotherapy agent? Michele, I know that you can do the chemotherapy! Go kick a little cancer a#$.

Hugs!

Holly

michele

considering quitting treatments

Postby michele » Tue May 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Michelle,

It is truly your decision. But, personally, I would fight. I know the side effects can be a pain, but I am willing to suffer through all that if I can kick the cancer. I am young and don't want any chance of recurrance.

I pray you will find peace with whatever your decision is.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”