Has therapy helped....?.any special kind of therapist

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Raisel

Has therapy helped....?.any special kind of therapist

Postby Raisel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 am

Hi, besides this great forum I want to find someone professionally to deal with this disease. Has anyone found it helpful? Part of me is scared of feelings coming up,while dealing with chemo and it's side effects. Has anyone found it to be too much? Thx for reading this and for all sharing on this board.
6-25-12 dx of colon of cecum, tumor perforate into appendix n had peritonitis
7-12-12 surgery removal of tumor Stage 2B T4 NO
9-26 started chemo (oxali and xeloda)
57 years ol

Buffy61

Re: Has therapy helped....?.any special kind of therapist

Postby Buffy61 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 am

Yes!! This whole process is extremely stressful!!
I had a counselling session with someone from our local cancer society support. I felt much better after that.
Coming here at times can be bittersweet....sometimes I have to take a step back and stop reading the sad stories!
And just take each day as it comes and hope for the best.
But dont be scared to ask for help if it all seems overwhelming!!
Sometimes it is harder being a caregiver than being a patient!!

Dori

Postby Dori » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi,

Yes, I kind of melted down with all the stress after my diagnosis. I found a therapist and working with her has been enormously helpful. I was not able to find anyone who worked specifically with cancer patients, but it was still a good fit.

Best of luck to you,
Dori
47 years old
Stage IIIC, high grade signet ring, 14 out of 18 nodes affected
Colon resection 5/15/08
FOLFOX 6/08 - 11/08
Mom to a great 11 (!!) yo girl
Currently NED

tallyho

Postby tallyho » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I also have benefited greatly from both individual and group therapy after my diagnosis. Like others, I also went to a general therapist, and my group therapy is not for cancer patients.
7/27/10 DX Stage I at age 30
9/3/10 sigmoid resection, 0/56 nodes +, no chemo
10/12 - CT - NED!

debzak

Postby debzak » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:38 pm

See if your hospital offers something. My cancer center has a social worker on staff that we can meet with. They even have someone who works with children and I brough both my daughters in. She had also given me a "meditation" like CD to listen to. It has a lot of positive affermation in it, like my body has the power to heal itself, it is ok to take time for what I need.... I found it helpful to listen to whe I got upset.

I also took each piece as it came. I counted back from each chemo...only 4 more, only 3 more... and the same for radiation. It totally sucks, as an experience, but you can get through it. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago today and ended up spending 9 days in the hospital. I feel a little better each day and I will do what ever it takes to get rid of this.

Just relax. One day at a time.

Deb
2/27/12 dx rectal cancer (stage III)
3/6/12 44th B-day
3/19/12 Oxi & 5-FU (8 rounds)
7/9/12 chemo-rad
11/5/12 LAR surgery temp ileo
1/20/13 4 rounds Xeloda
5/13 multiple liver mets
6/4/13 HAI pump at Sloan
KRAS wild & BRAF mutation found :(

Raisel

Postby Raisel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks feor the feedback. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to see new dr., a pain mgmt one and I will ask if they have a social worker. From my exerience finding the right therapist is like a needle in a haystack n I hope to find my "needle". Thx for sharing.
57 years ol

Lisahopes

Postby Lisahopes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 am

Raisel, I just wanted to let you know that very often cancer and its treatment brings depression to a formerly happy go lucky person. My mom now takes anti-depressants (which have been increased in dosage twice since being prescribed). She is doing better since and this is not at all like she was. What i am saying is not that you will need any medication but if you feel that you are depressed, a counsellor may not be enough and a psychiatrist can be very helpful. Having said that a counsellor is a great idea and you will no doubtedly find the right person for you.
Daughter to Mom, 65, Stage IV with mets to liver, lungs and peri.
Dx 2006, Stage II.
Regular check October 2011, Stage IV established.
She has had Oxi, Folfox and Xeloda, now Avastin.
Progression.
Mom died on April 5th 2013.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:08 am

I liked the lady I saw and she had good advice, but it hasn't helped me. Depression has dogged me all year, and I truly don think chatting about it is going to help. You. Can't benefit with that mindset but it's how I feel about counseling.

Raisel

Postby Raisel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 am

Ths again for all feedback. I am taking antidepressants Im general but my depression has increased, just nervous about new side effects. I will call shrink. I was so looking forward to,seeing this new side effect dr, but I woke up and couldn't move, weak from last day on xeloda for this round, get a week off n then oxali next tuesday . I guess I'm looking for hope to,feel better.
57 years ol

sdon0507

Postby sdon0507 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 am

The second I walked into my therapists office I started crying.......BEFORE I even told her what I was there for....never met the lady before that day, she just handed me a tissue, and eventually I started talking. Keeping all those thoughts in your head is too much. When I left her after that first visit I felt so much "lighter".....it will be the best thing you do for your inner-self. IMO
Age 30 mother to 3; 1 year 4 y.o, 5 y.o.
Stage IV Colon cancer August 8th, 2011
Colon ressection and RFA to 2 R-sided liver tumors Aug 16th, 2011
4 rounds Folox
Liver Ressection Thanksgiving Day
8 more round Folfox
All scans clean

Raisel

Postby Raisel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 am

I am seeing an oncology social worker while I'm getting my chemo next week. I have no expectations so whatever happens will happen. Needed to see if it woul help. I didn't know that social workers work with the med team since mine is unresponsive. It was great seeing different takes, thx.
57 years ol

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree that it can be tough to find the counselor that is right for you, so don't give up on it if you have to try a few before you find a good fit. It can help to get recommendations. At our local hospital they have pastoral care and one of the pastors gave me a list of three (not religious) counselors he recommended. The first one I met with turned out to be good. I was lucky to find the right person on the first try, but getting a few names made it feel less like searching for needle in a haystack. You might also check with any home health agencies or hospice organizations in your area. Even if you don't need either service, they should be well connected to local counselors and could probably give you a few names to start with.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

Raisel

Postby Raisel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Thx for the idea of seeking out pastoral counselors. Though I am not religious I would
Ike to feel a spiritual connection.
57 years ol

jeanette57

Postby jeanette57 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 am

I did a lot of crying, but they pressured me and 11 other people to do the 7 LEVELS OF HEALING- lead by the cancer center. it was a 7 week weekly class. We all had different cancers, we all ended up being the best support group with each other. I am sponsoring this months get together coffee meeting at Beyond Bread.

I had one guy with pancreatic (spelling) cancer - challenge me to walk 3 times around the nusing station, he cheered me on but he was soooo full of tubes they hauled the bed to the door for him to cheer. We were both in ICU at the time. I have gone to hold hands with the breast cancer women, she is now NED but so scared- greatest hubby- took her on a cruise to motivate the painful radiation process. They are coming Wednesday the 28th.

Our baby of the group is the jewish princess, five older brothers and mom and dad- helping her through this. she had leg cancer- went to lungs and now the brain. She has such great attitude, so positive and such a since of humor- She keeps us together so much. I hope she gets through the brain chemo- they cut out a orange size tumor and put a chemo device in there. Wow what they can do for us in this cancer war!

So yes, cry- scream- then research- find support and go onward. There will be mountains but one step at a time. yesterday, I got the most un expected treat- The mom and pop place I go to eat the most bland meat loaf ever, knew I did this only after bad chemo days. I throat was raw for the puking, so after eating a little of this great bland food, they all came over and made me cry - mom cried also. They told me that I made such a difference in their lives. My free advice, my support of gay son issues, my support of their place over the past 15 years. Wow, I didn't realize how some people appreciate the little things you do! I got love as payback. This keeps me going for one more month! Then I will know if I made it. yahooo. :D
T3 N0 M0 -1-4-12 to 3-2013- NOW stage 4 terminal
mets Lungs & bone - halo on head (not to many can see unicorn horn)
chemo for life or until I quit

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 am

Our local Hospice has free counseling for patients and families. My hubby's oncologist referred me there since I currently have no health insurance. It helped for me to vent to someone who could be be objective and nonjudgemental. That along with some antidepressants, helped me very much. When my hubby was first Dx I could not talk about it without falling apart. I was crying all of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still have tremendous sadness, fear, anxiety, etc. but I am much better since the counseling and antidepressants.

Vicki
DH Dx stage IV CC age 52
transverse colon,liver,lungs,L4
biweekly chemo since Dx
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap