Can they treat just the liver?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Badgerbuddy

Can they treat just the liver?

Postby Badgerbuddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

OK, last PET showed liver hot spots and lymph nodes lit up. I already have numerous lung mets. Is there a procedure to prevent my liver from getting worse? Like HIPEC, HAI, etc. Tumors are small...now. My onc did not mention anything like this and I 'm starting Regorafenib this week. Thanks, all.
Badgerbuddy, 43
St. 4 CC age 38, 8/08 ov mets, hyst, colon resect
1 yr FOLFOX/Avastin
NED 12/08
Recur LN 6/10
XELOX/Avast 8/10; lung mets
Folfiri /Avast 2/11
Vect/iri 6/11
Erb/iri 7/12
LN, liver 11/12
Regorafenib 12/13
Lung met growth
Girls ages 10 and 7

hannahw

Re: Can they treat just the liver?

Postby hannahw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 am

SIRT AND RFA are both localized to the liver but there are various factors that would determine whether you'd be a factor. Number of mets, size of mets, location of mets. Not sure if having mets to other organs is a consideration.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 am

Hi there!
My hubby was on avastin, irinotecan and xeloda for 5 weeks and the liver spots shrinked tremendously and the small ones almost disappeared...he has to do radiation for the colon and to contain liver onc prescribed xeloda - 3000 mg a day - i know everyone is different but maybe adding that to your mix may help? good luck
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 am

Is it possible your lung mets could be treated surgically?

If so, then treating the liver alone Might be an option.

If not, as my onc would say, there's no point in removing mets from one organ if another organ is filled with mets also. Why not use chemo to treat them all?

If you think your onc isn't being aggressive, seeking out a second opinion is an option.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Badgerbuddy

Postby Badgerbuddy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 am

There are multiple small lung nodules, too many to radiate or remove as I've been told. Then there are the lymph nodes. I ' ve been on every chemo. I 'm just thinking about my liver needing some type of intervention so it doesn 't get worse. Regorafenib sounds so horrible based on most of the posts here, it 's making me nauseous just thinking about it!
Badgerbuddy, 43
St. 4 CC age 38, 8/08 ov mets, hyst, colon resect
1 yr FOLFOX/Avastin
NED 12/08
Recur LN 6/10
XELOX/Avast 8/10; lung mets
Folfiri /Avast 2/11
Vect/iri 6/11
Erb/iri 7/12
LN, liver 11/12
Regorafenib 12/13
Lung met growth
Girls ages 10 and 7

crazymotherof8

Postby crazymotherof8 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:23 am

My hubby is in the same boat as you. Following is an update i recently posted in the "wives" thread. hope it helps or at least gives you something to consider. We don't want to go on the big R either. And Matt is just so tired of chemo. Quality of life is becoming an issue rapidly.
"He recently showed some growth in the both the liver and lungs but nothing new in the bones. The plan from here is to add back in the 5FU, which Matt really hates. Right now he is on Irinotican and Erbitux. Our onc also added Zocor which is a cholesterol lowering medication that in the lab has worked well but no human testing done yet. He told us that he has prescribed this to other CRC patients and has had good results. Matt will do this through the holidays and then sometime in Jan he will rescan and do some type of targeted therapy to the liver; either HAI pump or Sir Spheres and take a chemo break. Matt REALLY needs a chemo break! He is almost at the point of saying he is done. The onc feels that if we can get the liver, which is the most pressing issue right now, under some kind of control, then Matt could take a break. The lungs seem to grow very slowly and all of the tumors there are smaller than a cm. We of course will have to watch the bones, but hopefully if something does pop up again we can radiate again. So that is the plan for now.....we can only take it one day at a time, but Matt does have something to look forward to so that is nice."
Niki
DH Matt - 49 - father to 8
Dx Mar11 w/Mets to liver, lungs Folfox + Avastin Mar 11 - Jul 11
Sept11 Spleen remvd bc low platelets
Oct12 Folfox+Avastin
Mar12 Folfiri+Avastin
Aug12 bone mets; irinotecan+Erbitux
Dec12 chemo failed - trial
passed June 17, 2013

westie68

Postby westie68 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi: I have mets to the peritoneum and to the liver. Surgery is out because of the multiple mets. However, I just finished high dose radiation to the liver tumour - every 2nd day for 2 weeks. I have a CT scan coming up so we'll see how that worked. I'll keep you posted.
Cheryl

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”