Diverticulitis - result of chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
worriedwife1

Diverticulitis - result of chemo?

Postby worriedwife1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 pm

I am new to this forum, my husband has recurrent colon cancer that with a Met to his liver - began 5FU treatments on Oct 29, 46 hours on, 12 days off. Last week after his second infusion, we wound up going into the emergency dept due to severe abdominal cramping, he was diagnosed with Diverticulitis, we were somewhat relieved it wasn't a blockage (total resection 1 year ago) but puzzled with the diagnosis - colonoscopy 1 month ago was clear. His colon/rectal surgeon isn't in agreement and says it's inflammation caused by the chemo...we are confused - just wondering if anyone has experience with a situation like this? Could the chemo cause this type of flare up, even though he has no history of it? Any feedback would be appreciated..thank you Annmarie

Angiemarie2000
Facebook Username: Angela.boles

Re: Diverticulitis - result of chemo?

Postby Angiemarie2000 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Annmarie,

I was hospitalized a few weeks ago for an inflammed bowel caused by chemo. I spent 4 days there on a clear liquid diet. I was told letting the colon rest was the only way to get the inflamation down.

Angie
5/12- @ 37 DX IV KRASmt
5/12- R. Hemi
6/12- Folfox/avastin-(Bad Reaction)
6/12- xeliri-7rds
CEA-DX @ 80 then 11,10,7,14,25,210,340,540,900
12/12-R. Ovary removed
01/13- folfox 4 rounds
03/13- folfox failed, in liver failure, starting regorafebin.

Brocken
Facebook Username: Barbra Madigan

Postby Brocken » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 am

I too am on 5FU. I have periods of horrible gut pain. It is debilitating. It feels like a knife going through my stomach. I found drinking metamucil in juice seems to help. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as far as diet. I do not seem constipated during the episodes and I have stopped eating a lot of cheese. The pains can last for days. I actually had a ct scan done due to this and there was no blockage or anything unusual other than my intestines were positioned in a whirl. I hope your husband can get some relief.
Brocken
age 47 mom to 4
Diagnosed CC via colonoscopy 2-12-12
colon resection 2-22-12
determined stage 2 -t3 (0 nodes)
Port 4/27/12
Begin chemo 5/3/12 --5FU + leucovorin

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:42 am

Your name is just like mine except for the 1 LOL First look, I thought it was strange I was posting that topic

Welcome to the forum! Good luck to your husband.
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 pm

5FU caused me horrible gut pain too - n the end I didnt finish my 20 rounds due to continual problems with bowel obstructions.

And 18 months on, left sided bowel pain is my constant companion. Usually only a two or three on a scale of ten but there's defintely a lot of damage done to my gut. I'm also now fructose and lactose intolerant and need to follow a special diet. So I wouldnt doubt that it can cause the problems you're describing.

westie68

Postby westie68 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi: I had 14 treatments of folfirinox (oxaliplatin + irenotecan + 5FU). On May 28, I was enjoying my morning cup of coffee and suddenly I was
completely paralyzed with pain through the abdomen. Couldn't even move. Fourteen hours later I was found by friends and rushed to emergency. I was in
intensive care for one month, and on life support for 2 weeks. I was paralyzed for almost 2 months and had to undergo intensive physio-therapy. It was a perforated bowel caused by diverticulitis. I ended up with a colostomy and was in the hospital for 3 months. I was told it could have been from the very erosive effects of folfirinox as I had almost constant diarrhea with it.
Cheryl

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”