A Funeral--Jake Style

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Laurettas

A Funeral--Jake Style

Postby Laurettas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

I had to share this with all of you since it is just too good of a story to miss.

Yesterday was Jake's funeral and usually one would not think that would be something that one would really have a lot to share. Funerals are, well, funerals.

But then most people are not like my husband. He had been a pall bearer for numerous people and he had always told me that when it was his turn, he wanted to make sure that his pall bearers had to WORK. It was not going to be some honorary title as far as he was concerned.

The stage was set with a winter storm watch being called for our area yesterday. We woke to an inch or so of new snow, not much for people who had lived in Montana for years. But as the morning progressed, the snow kept increasing. We got up to about 3 or 4 inches of very wet snow on our rather steep rolling hills. And so it began.

The cemetery we chose was a rural one not far from our home with two directions it could be accessed from. My brother-in-law was driving both Jake's mother and myself, as well as Jake's sister. We decided to go one route in which the hills seem to be a little less steep. The funeral director chose to follow us in the hearse and we were off. We began the climb up the biggest hill and I was watching in the mirror, enjoying seeing the line of cars behind us. As we began the last, steepest ascent, I noticed that the hearse was falling farther and farther behind us. I was concerned, knowing that the only reason the gap would be widening would be because the hearse was having difficulty getting up the hill.

We got to the top and stopped, waiting for everyone to catch up. We waited......and waited......and waited. People began arriving from the other direction and went on up the hill to the cemetery. Finally, after several minutes, the hearse came up over the crown of the hill and I told my BIL that we needed to hurry and get out of the way so the hearse didn't need to stop and potentially get stuck again. So, up the hill we went, only to be stopped by several cars who were stopped up at the cemetery because they didn't know where to go. Of course, the hearse had to stop also because we were in front of him. It was on an incline. After a couple of minutes, everyone was out of the way in front of us so we proceeded up the hill. Unfortunately, the hearse was not so lucky. He couldn't move, so the men began, for the second time to push the hearse up the hill. This time, however, things did not go as smoothly and they couldn't get the hearse to move.

Then, suddenly here comes a four wheel drive truck up the hill. It was Jake's best friend from school. He hops out of his truck, hooks a big chain onto the front of the hearse and off Jake goes up the hill in the hearse. His friend comes walking down the road with a big grin on his face and said, "hey, this is our last four-wheeling trip together!". Jake and he both had Jeeps as teens and would spend hours climbing hills and pulling each other out of crazy situations that they would find themselves in.

In the meantime the priest had tried driving up the road to get to the cemetery but his car spun out on the first hill. He got out and began walking up the hill; eventually someone from church saw him and gave him a ride up the hill. He got to the cemetery about the time the hearse was getting pulled up the hill.

Well, after all of the trauma experienced trying to just drive on the county roads, there was no way that the funeral director was going to chance driving the hill up into the cemetery. So, the pall bearers, in their suits and shiny, slick shoes, got to CARRY Jake up the hill, across the cemetery to the burial site. It was glorious!

I have not laughed so much in a long time as I did watching all of these antics. It was an oh, so fitting, never to be forgotten, farewell to a man who was probably orchestrating the whole affair from his new vantage point.

Jake, my dear husband, rest in peace.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

CRguy

Re: A Funeral--Jake Style

Postby CRguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:09 pm

That is a wonderful remembrance you have shared with us. I am sure if it made you smile, that Jake is too.
I loved the buddy with the last four-wheelin' trip..., now that IS a buddy.

Love, Peace and Harmony
...walkin' with you on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm smiling and crying. Thank you for sharing. Take care of yourself.
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

MissM
Facebook Username: missmtravelstheworld

Postby MissM » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 pm

A memorable way to go! Thank you for sharing.
1/8/12 Given a year left to live
8/30/12-12/18/12 Irinotecan & Vectibix
7/25/12 Ovaries Removed
6/28/12 Liver Resection
12/16/11 Colostomy Closure
6/26/11-11/10/11 FOLFOX
5/09/11 Colon Resection & Colostomy
4/29/11 Stage IIIC T4N2B @28 Years Old

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm thinking Jake fixed it this way! I'm glad we can make jokes in the afterlife.
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

NedPlease wrote:I'm smiling and crying.

Me too. I feel honoured you're sharing this with us. Thank you, Lauretta!

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm smiling and crying at the same time. Great story, thank you for sharing. Now when Jake said that he wanted them to work, he really meant it! :D I'm sure that he was looking down and laughing with you too. Funerals should definitely not be all doom and gloom and Jake made sure of this! :D

Love and hugs,

Michelle
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Thank you for that description...I could almost see the slipping and sliding, and it did bring a smile to my face. You are obviously a woman that shared and loved in a marriage that was filled with humour, which I agree can be the best medicine. I love that you have such a happy memory, and even though Jake is no longer here, you are able to share a laugh with him, and I am sure that brings you some comfort!

Take care Lauretta....
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 pm

He got the last laugh didn't he? :). Great story Lauretta :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

rehab1

Postby rehab1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 am

...have done many a funeral, but this one tops em all....never experienced anything like this. Goes to prove that anything can go wrong; yup, have got to do a funeral this thursday....the son has EVERYTHING down pat, just perfect...(or so he thinks)....never seen a funeral go exactly as planned, its not going to happen and this brought smiles to me eyes...thank you for sharing this even in your difficult time of grief.
pete
2011 ~ stage 3a / surgery and then xeloda 6 months
2014 ~ ned

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Postby Phuong » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 am

Even now he leaves you with a wonderful memory. Good for him!
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

Lisahopes

Postby Lisahopes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 am

Fabulous story. Jake sure knows how to have fun!
Daughter to Mom, 65, Stage IV with mets to liver, lungs and peri.
Dx 2006, Stage II.
Regular check October 2011, Stage IV established.
She has had Oxi, Folfox and Xeloda, now Avastin.
Progression.
Mom died on April 5th 2013.

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:31 am

Jake got his wish and made those boys work!! I love it :) God bless you and Jake.
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Natty

Postby Natty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:57 am

There are tears in my eyes both from the touching send off for Jake and the fact that Jake must have been laughing so hard to see that he got his wish of having to make people work at his funeral.

This is also a beautiful memory of you Jake to keep with you..despite it was on his last day up top with you.

Natty
Bestfriend of 37 year old male
Stage IV
18.5 cm Colon Resection
4/6 Lymph Nodes
Lung Mets
XELOX- 7/04/2010- FINISHED 9/9/2010 (8 rounds)
Radiotherapy/5FU 22/11/2010 - 23/12/2010 (4.5 weeks)
FOLFOX+Avastin (20 rounds)
FOLFIRI+Avastin
July '72 - March 2014

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:18 am

Your story sounds like a comedy movie. It is good that there was some humor to take the edge off of such a solemn occasion.
I will share an amusing story. My father in law died many years ago of pancreatic cancer. I was unable to attend the funeral. My husband related this story to me. It was my FIL's wishes to be cremated and his ashes sprinkled in a lake. After his five children had sprinkled his ashes in the lake and departed up a hill they all looked back to remember the spot. There was a rock down the hill that they had not noticed previously that someone had painted the word stupid on with an arrow pointing to the very spot where they released the ashes. I think my father in law would have been very amused.

I am so sorry for your loss of your DH, Jake.

Vicki
DH age 52 DX 1/2012
Stage IV CC
transverse colon, omentum,liver, lungs
biweekly chemo since DX
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips