Bad Nights

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momsCancer

Re: Bad Nights

Postby momsCancer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:54 am

She was admitted to the hospital yesterday morning. Basically, we went to the treatment center yesterday morning to get PICC line flushed, weekly thing. On the other side of the treatment room away from mom, I had a break down moment saying the upcoming weekend scares me to death, it's like the night 3 times over, you just feel all alone. Mom's' fever was 102.6 and they were ready to send us on our way. I said that I wanted a doctor to check her over and tell me she's okay, and then I would take her to radiation and then home. I just couldn't handle the responsibility of something happening that I failed to notice type thing. Anyway, mom's onc nurse came over obviously annoyed and said that mom would be seen by one of the other doctors. That doctor's nurse (really nice, I might add) came helped us to the room and took down a bunch of information. She really listened to us, it was nice for a change. The new onc doctor came in (again, really nice, like a fresh start b/c I've wore out my welcome with others) checked Mom over and again took the time to listen to us. She gently recommended admitting her to the hospital. Mom's hemoglobin was 8.6. She said that a blood transfusion happens at 8.0. Anyway, she made the arrangements so Mom would not have to wait, that she would be admitted through ER, and go straight back an they'll give her pain med immediatley. It was a long day full of tests and what not. She got in a room around 1:00. The doctor on that floor came in and said so far everything's checking out okay. That urine looks good, x-ray (not sure what machine took pics) but looks good, etc.. She said that some blood work takes 24 hours so they'll wait and see how it comes back, but so far everything looks fine all things considered. Dad said let's leave her here and let them take care of her and go home and sleep. She's still going to the bathroom every 20 minutes peeing b/c the fluids they're giving her and diarrhea all the while very heavily medicated and dragging an iv pole. He says that I've got to get some sleep, which I know but there's no other options. Leaving her in the hospital by herself is not an option. When you call for a nurse, it takes 10 to 20 minutes and mom can't wait that long and she needs someone familiar there 24/7. I was mad with that suggestion to say the least. I called my friend (who I'd trust with my life) came up and stayed with mom through the night. I went to Mom's house and gathered things I thought she might want along with a bouquet of flowers, and he volunteered to take them back to her if I'd go straight home and go to bed. My new neighbor and friend who came last weekend to help me clean mom's bathroom, went to the hospital this morning to relieve other friend and she'll stay until 12:00. Mom's friend is going to stay 12:00 to 8:00. Thank God for friends. I slept last night and am about to get ready, pick up a few more things for mom, and go up there for a while.
MOM has Stage 2 Anal Cancer on chemo (5-FU and Mitomycin-C) for 6 weeks. Looking to vent and give/receive support. My blog address is;

www.onecrazeemommy.blogspot.com

I should change the name to one crazee daughter, I think.

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:18 am

It's great your friends are helping out. Your mom is having such a rough time. If it weren't for my friends I don't know how I would have gotten this far. Take advantage of their offerings. Now that I'm in a position to help them, it's really joyful for me. Rest while you have the opportunity; you're being the daughter your mom raised.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

momsCancer

Postby momsCancer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:34 am

Friend just called and said that doctor said that she needs some red blood cells and that they'd be coming to the room to give her that shortly. Is that a blood transfusion?
MOM has Stage 2 Anal Cancer on chemo (5-FU and Mitomycin-C) for 6 weeks. Looking to vent and give/receive support. My blog address is;

bradyr

Postby bradyr » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:43 pm

we just wanted to check in and see how everything is going with mon (and you). hopeful no news is good news, she's doing well and you are getting some rest.
bradyr
DX 2/07 mets liver/bone/brain/spleen
Foxfox/avastin 3-6/07
bone mets 5 times
xedada 9-7/07
Folfri 1-6/07
GammaKnife brain lesion 1/08
SIRT Spheres rlobe 7/08 llobe 8/08
cyberknife brain 10/08
Brain surgery 1/09
Vebctibix 1-4/09

momsCancer

Postby momsCancer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi Bradyr,
Mom is still in the hospital. She's so much better than last Friday but still is running a low grade fever. The docs don't want to send her home until there's no more fever. She's completed 30 of 33 hits of radiation. Obviously, everything is burnt, raw and inflamed. Instead of infection, do you think the temp is just a reaction to the radiation? In any case, she started feeling better yesterday and today was even better. Her pain level is managed in the hospital through regular doses of dialadid (not sure how to spell it) She's getting a shot everyday in her belly that's suppose to thin her blood to make sure no blood clots. Whether they keep her in hospital or let her go home, my mom is soooo much better. I am so thankful for the help and support given here at the colon club. Speaking of help and support, my friend checked into house cleaning service for my mom. She found an organization online called Cleaning For a Reason. They give 4 free house cleaning services to those fighting cancer. The website is www.cleaningforareason.com Also, the American Cancer Society is giving gas cards to those traveling 50 miles or more to and from radiation/chemo.

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 am

I take Neulasta (white blood cell shot), evey week I am on treatment. The next day my "long bones" legs hurt very badly each time. I usually dont go out that next day, cause I am so sore. My bowels are also active all night, which keeps me getting up, and sometimes I dont make it cause the Diahrea is so bad.

I also have tingles in hands and throat, and feel like there are sand bags attached to my shins. Then after the sandbags subisde, my legs feel like puppet legs, and dont feel they will land underneath me. I cant walk far and can't do stairs well. At home I go upstairs on all fours, it takes the pressure off the legs.

I am on my "off" week, and Next week willl be on cycle 10 of my Oxalliplatin, Lecourvin, and F5U. I hope I make it, but my legs are starting to tingle, and I dont feel good a lot of the time. That has just started in the last few cycles. Scared about the feet, as I am still working part time, and need to drive.

Stage 111 Colorectal, 4 lympnodes infected
Diagnosed: Nov 07
Colon rescetion: Nov 07
Chemo/Radiation Combo: Jan-Feb 008
Chemo: Mar-Aug:
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”