Update from Mali

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mali

Update from Mali

Postby Mali » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:11 am

Hi everyone.

Mum is back in hopsital (10 years breast cancer, c. 4 years cc and now recurrance of liver mets after resection in Oct 05.) To date no chemo.

She met the oncologist and instead of sending her home with chemo regime in place, he kept her in hospital. Tomorrow she is due into a hospice for 2 weeks respite while my Dad goes to Italy. She will be due back at the hospital soon. Yet again, another delay. I am very concerned that she is not being given any chemo quickly enough, but she is very weak. It seems odd that the hospital are dragging their heels.

Okay, Andrea, you have just mentioned RFA and Cryo.

Can anyone give me more info. on RFA and what is Cryo? I've never heard of it before.

Andrea, all the best in your research for more treatment.

As ever, i'm at work so must get back to it.

Dot, Dana and AStephens. I hope you all got your personal messages. If you didn't then i'm really not doing something properly. I'm concerned as i've not heard from any of you.

Everyone take care, keep up the fight, remember keep positivity at the forefront of your minds at all time, or just a downright disrespect for this disease and kick it where it hurts.

Mali.

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:21 am

Mali,
Cryotherapy is where they inject the tumor with a liquid (?) and it freezes the tumor, killing it. If you google (google.com) you will find some better explanations. I can't explain the technical aspects of RFA. I understand what it is but don't want to botch it up trying to explain it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mother.
Andrea

Mali

Looming feeling of disappointment for Mum

Postby Mali » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:07 pm

It's the evening now. (I'm off to Weight Watchers in 5 so I have to make it quick, as ever.)

Have been dipping in and out of colon club all day. Mum has more information but i'm not sure she has it right and Dad seems none the wiser. She has been told that an ultrasound and x-rays show a marked increase in swelling in her abdomen is down to liquid build up within the liver mets. I don't get it.

Dad is going to Italy on Friday and Mum is going to the hospice for 2 weeks respite. I'm going to make an apointment to see the oncologist and put all the research to him that I have come across at this most precious club.

Don't get the liquid inside the tumour thing. Does anyone understand or is my Mum just not relaying or perhaps not understanding the information she is being given due to her weakness. Can you get a build up of liquid inside the mets? (They've also told her there is nothing further they can do for the build up of liquid apart from maybe suction some off, and it'll only come back again.) I imagined you can get a general build up of liquid inside the organ itself, but actually inside the liver mets? When I see the oncologist I will ask exactly what the situation is. Tomorrow I shall call and make an appointment. If he is not available I will even pay privately to see him at the earliest point next week, if they will let me.

They are saying that Mum can go to the hospice and that she should go back to see the oncologist a week on Monday. (We do not have all the time in the world, I can't understand all the delaying tactics.) Maybe some of it is down to Mum not even knowing herself if she wants to try chemo. She is so fearful of the side effects, but for God's sake, I feel she should at least give it a go.

Can anyone advise how long a decent try at chemo should be? Weeks? Months? Does it depend on how each indivdual tolerates the medication? (My Mum is 69, but so young of mind and heart.)

When I see the oncologist I shall throw everything at him, the Trovax trials, Radio Frequency Ablation, Cryotherapy (thanks for that Andrea.) Avastin, Xeloda and all the others.

I'm very concerned that my Mum is starting to allow the cancer to take her. I can respect anyone's decision in which way they are going to take their life, but I cannot understand the not even trying the chemo.

Any advice? Any tactical advice for approaching the oncologist. I shall see him by myself while Mum is in the hospice and Dad is in Italy.

Take care everyone.

Talk to me. I need your help, or just your communications so much.

Amalia (Mali.)

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Mail,

May I suggest the following:

As you approach your mum's oncologist I would recommend that you be as organized as possible. As lots of questions and demand answers, not blah blah blah but answers to your satisfaction.

As for tolerance to chemotherapy, each of our journeys is very unique. You and your mum may be surprised that she is able to tolerate chemo very well for an undefined period of time while others struggle. Go into the experience with hopeful expectations.

Mali, it is important to remember that ALL things are possible you must believe. Heed your own advise and do stay positive. Know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”