New and scared from Oregon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Polojr2

New and scared from Oregon

Postby Polojr2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Just wanted to say hi from Oregon. I'm a new guy to this place and cancer. Just found out on October 17 @ 11:00am that I have t3 rectal cancer and going to have perm ostomy----flipping sucks. Does anyone know of a support group in the Salem Oregon area? Thank you
Polo G.

scottyg

Re: New and scared from Oregon

Postby scottyg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am

Hi Polo
I am sorry that you are here. There is a lot of good information here. I live just north of Seattle so I have no idea about support meetings in Salem.
Hang in there.
Scott
DX Nov 11
Stage 4
6 Folfox + Avastin Dec 11 - Feb 12
Surgery March 15 Took part of Colon and Part of Liver
Folfox + Avastin May 12 - July 12
NED!!! Yippee!!!!

Lara239

Postby Lara239 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am

welcome! I am from Tennessee so do not know any support places in Oregon but I can tell you that this board is a FABULOUS support group. You can pretty much ask anything here (there is no such thing as a dumb question as i have learned since I ask them all the time, hahaha). You are in good hands here :)
wife of DH (age 41) DX 8/3/2012 with 10 cm tumor in decending colon
pre-surgery CEA 4.4, no spread to other organs
8/22 - resection DX stage 3c 9/44 positive nodes
10/3/2012 CEA 1.3
Lynch test negative, tumor IS MSI-H
Folfox 10/3/2012 w/Yance protocol

d-it-up

Postby d-it-up » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Polo -
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I don't know of any support groups on Salem, but coincidentally I am going to be in South Salem visiting family this weekend, so if you want to meet for a cup of coffee I would be happy to offer some in-person support. Send me a PM if interested and we can coordinate.

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer 10/5/11 - one year before you. I've been through a lot in the past year, but I am a stronger person because of my diagnosis, and my actual experience wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared.

Keep up your spirits!
Rectal Cancer Diagnosed 10/5/11 @ 38, 3T-0N-0M
Chemoradiation 10/31-12/8 (Xeloda)
Surgery 1/30/12 - 0/26 nodes
9 rounds of Oxi/5FU
Illeostomy reversal surgery 8/13/12
Declared NED!

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37226

I know Tammy is in Salem - here's the link to her latest post. I don't know how often she comes here these days, but I suggest sending her a PM (private message) and hopefully she'll have some info for you.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in Oct 2011. Following chemo and radiation, I had surgery and an ileostomy installed in Feb 2012. The ileostomy take-down was just three weeks ago so I know a bit about wearing a bag of poop. Probably not what you want to hear, but I think the ostomy is really the least of what you have to deal with. Colorectal cancer is quite sneaky and is well known for coming back and killing folks. The treatment for my rectal cancer has not been a walk in the park and there is no warranty that says the cancer will not return. I still have very real neurapathic issues due to the adjuvant chemo which I finished in Sept. The Onc told me some of those issues might be permanant. When I was diagnosed, I met with the whole team of doctors - a radiologist, an oncologist, and my surgeon. They also set me up with information about support groupls etc. - I think your team should have put you in touch with existing support groups. I did not take advantage of those services - I am not one to dwell on how bad things are. Life is a very cruel taskmaster but I am not afraid of it. I am however aftraid of dying from cancer cause it is really a lousy painful and drawn out was to go. May we all become survivors. Regards, Gary
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

handicap18
Facebook Username: kyle.gendron

Postby handicap18 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm having surgery next month to remover the main tumor in my rectum. I will probably have a temporary ostomy. Back in Sept I went to Washington DC with some other colorectal cancer patients. About half of them had permanent ostomy's and you never would have known unless they told you. Many of them much prefer it over the regular way.

Check out a few of these books by a fellow colorectal cancer survivor Brenda Elsagher, in person she is hysterical. I've have looked through a few of the books and they are very well written:

I'd Lik to Buy a Bowel, Please:
http://www.amazon.com/Id-Like-Buy-Bowel ... a+elsagher

Its in the Bag and Under the Covers:
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Under-Covers- ... a+elsagher

If the Battle is Over, Why am I Still in Uniform
http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Over-Why-S ... 027&sr=1-3

Bedpan Banter
http://www.amazon.com/Bedpan-Banter-Bre ... 095&sr=1-4
Kyle. Male: 44
dx stage 4 RC w/mets to liver & lungs 3/29/12 - CEA 2937
1st of 15 FOLFOX 4/16/12
9/24 11 tx - CEA 12.9 10/4 CT scan - no lesions in lungs.
12/10 Rectal tumor removed
5/20/13 1st of 16 FOLFIRI
2/3/14 1st Cetuximab

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Polo I'm so sorry that you had to join this group, but it is the best place to be in my opinion! NW Girl was right. I am from Salem. Born and raised. Although I didn't have a ostomy, many people here have and I'm sure that they will help you out with your questions. My Dr. office does have a small group that meets but I personally didn't find it helpful. To many old people! lol I would be glad to help you with any questions that you have about treatment or Dr.'s. You will not be able to PM anyone or receive PM's until you have posted several times. It's just a security measure on the board to help protect us. Right now I'm sure you are in shock over the diagnosis. This is a real scare time. A lot of information comes fast in the early months. I promise it will get better! Send a couple more posts, maybe about your age, family, any specific questions that we may be able to answer. That will get you going on the board and then you will be able to PM people who are in your same situation.
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

elise

Postby elise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm

sorry you're stuck with us Polo :(
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Suze

Postby Suze » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Hey fellow Oregonian! I'm sorry you had to find your way here, but it is a good place to find info and friends. I have found a good support group here in Portland. It is at my Kaiser location, but all are welcome, for free. There is a "sticky" at the top of the forum about where to find suport groups, and I have listed Kaiser. Everyone here at the Colon Club has, or has a loved one, with colorectal cancer. My group has people with all kinds of cancer, and their support persons, so it isn't as useful for specific info on treatments and side effects on colorectal cancer, but it is wonderful to just talk to other people who have had their pleasant lives permanently altered by cancer, and to talk about how hard it is to re-adjust to the new normal with people who really get it. I hope you find a group in Salem, and you are always welcome to come on up to Portland. PM for details on directions. Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

Polojr2

Postby Polojr2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

I wanted to say thank you all so much for the info,,,I think I found a great place here and if you all don't mind I sure would like to stay for a while. :mrgreen:

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome aboard ! sent you an email about your "ostomy" questions posting. If you need more info just ask.

Cheers and best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Polojr2

Polo's background and new life

Postby Polojr2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Hello friends, I would like to give a little info of myself so you all know a little about the guy with a million and one questions. I current live in Woodburn oregon with my beautiful wife and daughter. I am 41 and love to spend as much time as possible with my family. I am a web designer by choice and love to bow hunt and fish. I always considered myself as kind of a tuffy man man but all that changed on October 17 2012. That day will be imprinted in my memory as one of the most humbling days of my life. Even at 41 and married with children and cover in tattoos all I wanted was my mommy :oops: :lol:
Fast forward a bit,,I went in today and go my Borg implant, as I call it, my portacath. I also got my first Xanax and wooooow
I will be starting my chemo and radiation on Thursday,,,
Anyway thats me in a nut shell
Thank you all and God bless
The new guy Polo G.

RayGirl

Re: Polo's background and new life

Postby RayGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Polojr2 wrote:all I wanted was my mommy :oops: :lol:

First thing I did was ask my husband for my phone so that I could call my mom too! She hopped on the first flight that she could get on, and was holding my hand for the next few weeks. Mom's have magical powers.
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Glad to see that you have posted again. You have just been told you have cancer and it probably came as a big shock. The first several months are the hardest but you will get through them. Good luck tomorrow with the radiation and chemo. What are they using for chemo? Let us know if you have any problems or questions! Also please remember to stay hydrated when on chemo. It really makes it easier on your body.
Tammy
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”