Golytely vs. Halflytely and Oh Yeah...Clear Scans

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: Golytely vs. Halflytely and Oh Yeah...Clear Scans

Postby NWgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm

I use Golytely (sp?). I usually ask for a citrus flavor to add - lemon, lemon-lime, etc. I've heard you should avoid any cherry or berry flavorings. As some have already mentioned, chilling it helps and drinking through a straw helps. I can never get the entire gallon down - but by the time I finally throw up the white flag, I'm basically pooping clear yellowish liquid. My surgeon said so long as I'm not shooting out chunks (sorry - kind of graphic); that's her main concern. So liquid, clearish, no chunks - all good. I usually make it about 2/3 of the way through the swill.

I don't just randomly decide to stop drinking it. If I don't finish it off it's because I KNOW my body simply won't tolerate one more sip. After having to do a half dozen bowel preps or more you kind of get used to the warning signs your body gives you when it's had enough - lol!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

tallyho

Re: Golytely vs. Halflytely and Oh Yeah...Clear Scans

Postby tallyho » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 am

My followup colonoscopy is in about two hours, so I just did the prep with magnesium citrate and GoLytely yesterday. I much preferred HalfLytely, which is what I did prior to resection surgery.

It's interesting to me how each doctor does the prep differently - my GI doc is seemingly much more thorough about it than my surgeon was. I still have a horrible time with the magnesium citrate that I have to drink first for the GI doctor. I nearly threw it up. But so by the time I got to the GoLytely, not only was the taste not that bad compared to the mag citrate, but I was already mostly cleaned out anyway - so you kind of wonder why you have to drink this gallon of junk.
7/27/10 DX Stage I at age 30
9/3/10 sigmoid resection, 0/56 nodes +, no chemo
10/12 - CT - NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”