the elephant in the room is revealed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lepperl
Facebook Username: slep22@gmail.com

Re: the elephant in the room is revealed

Postby lepperl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:07 pm

You are an amazing person! Your families strength is beyond what words can describe. I am so glad that Lauren has some control over her last wishes during this terrible time. I am also so glad and amazed at how you are able to let her do it. My husband knows nothing. I pay all the bills and handle the finances. He does not want me to show him period. My mother is impossible to discuss last wishes with either. She just won't hear of it. So I have resorted to putting all of my info in a box and telling my sister where to find it if needed. I am so glad that Lauren is able to handle these things personally. I so wish I could. Like I said you are amazing and I know there is that aweful elephant but I will continue to pray for Laurens comfort and peace. Hoping and praying you will all get painfree and enjoyable holidays together.
Lori
8/11CRC Stage 4 Nodes KRAS+ Signet Cells
10/11xelox
irinotecan
Folfiri,avastin
10/12 xeloda,avastin
"It will be said that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, and surely it had not, she ajusted her sails" Liz Edwards

clarabelle64
Facebook Username: claire beaumont

Postby clarabelle64 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

I am walking your journey with you....stay strong, you are doing a wonderful job....
every blessing to you all
Clarabelle
Clarabelle, Mother of Deborah who has CC with mets to liver + lungs.
Has been on Folfiri then 5FU + Oxi
Lung Mets progressed
Currently on Intravenous Vit C + diet + supplements
My darling girl passed away 18.8.2011

elise

Postby elise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm

You are both amazing inspiring women. Lauren's news always brings me to tears but it reminds me everyday to just enjoy today.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Mystic

Postby Mystic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

What an amazing post! My thoughts and prayers to you, your family and your incredibly strong daughter Lauren. Thank you for taking the time to keep the Club informed on your journey. You are so blessed to have your Friends, employers and family support!

Lynch Syndrome II (MSH2) / Muir-Torre Syndrome
Malignant Polyp Cecum-Right Hemi-Colectomy June 2008
Rare Sebaceous Carcinoma of the nose from Lynch Syndrome 1/2011
Daughter 27 stage 2 colon cancer 2006 Right Hemi-Colectomy

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Thank you for sharing this experience. It brings me comfort to hear how well Lauren is handling this, at least at the moment. I love organizing things too - I can see myself doing the same thing - lol! It sounds like you are surrounded by an army of angels and I hope that never changes. Sending strong thoughts and light your way.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Janet,

You and your family has gone through the most difficult situation I could imagine. No one should have to watch their child die. And, yet you have handled this with such dignity and grace. You are beyond inspiring. I wish for you and Lauren to have some happy days ahead.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Postby live2jett » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:28 pm

The elephant that was standing in the room....has been replaced with LOVE a whole lot of LOVE...Thank you for sharing Lauren and your family's journey on this next chapter...the chapter that not all of us embrace. So proud of all of you...my continued prayers are with you all.
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

very worried husband

Postby very worried husband » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I am so so sorry what you and all your family is going through...
Caregiver to Wife age25
Diagnosed Colon IIIB Jan2011
7/29 Nodes +
5FU+Oxi in china. Feb-Aug 2011
CEA@Diagnose:0.79
Immunological chemistry: Ki-67 (+), MSH2(+), MLH1(++), ERCC1 (-)
NED Supplements: Aspirin,Vit D,Calcium, Genoderma Lucidium
Baby born June 2015 :D :D :)

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 am

I have held back on posting because I feel inept at articulating how strongly I feel about the grace , dignity and amazing straight forward thinking of you, Lauren and your remarkable family. Just want to reiterate what live 2jet said, thank you for sharing your journey. Sending love to you, Lauren and your whole family. You are all inspirational.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

cashmere

Postby cashmere » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds like you and your family are amazing, and you have raised a wonderful daughter. I think that is the toughest moment, to hear you will die, but Lauren handled it so gracefully and hopefully what ever time she has left she can enjoy.

As I was reading, I was wondering what her most prized possession was, and was so excited to read it was her 2002 blue Ford T-Bird. I had one for 7 years, same year, same color and regret giving it up. She will be so pleased that you will enjoy it.

My hear breaks for you and your family and you have been so gracious in sharing your painful journey with us. Stay strong and enjoy every last day. Pearl
Stage III
Diagnosed 4/07 at 51
36 rad/24/7 chemo bag
surg 9/07
6 mon chemo w/48 hr bag
ileo reversal 5/08
NED since 9/07!!
Just resolved my 13th blockage
Been able to control blockage issues with fiber supplements!!

iceis
Facebook Username: robin bond

Postby iceis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

Dear Lauren,

I have watched your battle from afar for 2 years now, though I don't think I have ever responded to your amazing caregiver. I know I should be writing this letter to her, but something in my mind prevents me from doing so, and I feel as though I have to personalize it to you.

I just need to tell you that I have been amazed by you in ways I could never put into words. Your bravery, your passion for life, your strength ... I have never met you but I feel a connection with you that is outworldly. We were both so young in our diagnosis. We both have probably heard all of the, "you're too young for this" crap, but we know now that is so far from the truth.

I admire you dear Lauren for giving me hope and courage to fight whatever comes my way.

I will probably never have the chance to meet you, but you will forever stay in my heart - a vision of LIFE and the true meaning of living as opposed to existance. You have taught me more abut myself than I could have ever learned in a lifetime without your story of survival.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and will keep you in my prayers.

YOU will be my symbol of hope.

I am thinking of you and your family.
Stage 2c T4N0M0 33 neg LN
May15 2010 at age 27
HNPCC +
06/10 Total Colectomy
6months 5-Fu dropped oxi after 6 rounds
NED
Ct small pulmonary nodules
New 4mm focal liver lesion.and.low volume retroperitoneal lymph nodes - awaiting ultrasound correlation

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm glad that hospice is working out so well for Lauren, and that they were able to explain things to her, rather than you having to do it. She has had time to process this for a while - and even if she wasn't talking with you about it, I bet she thought a lot about it before going in for HIPEC - such a serious surgery, and she's been dealing with such a complicated serious situation all along. I don't talk with my family about my death very often - I don't want to sound like I am giving up yet to any of them. So they might not realize that if someone told me I only had a little time left that I'd be prepared. They probably have no idea how much I have thought about it. That is kind of sad that our society doesn't want to talk about death, when it is certain that if we are born, we die. All part of a natural cycle. But if someone with a serious and/or terminal illness talks about dieing, too often people take that as giving up. (Not saying you would - but just that our societal pressures do influence how we handle this as patients - even when we don't want it to.)

I can't imagine what it is like to be the parent. I can't imagine if this were my 23 or 26 year old daughters who are just getting started in life. I am glad it is me and not them. I know what it is like from a patient side only, and worrying mostly about my sons who are still in high school and college.

Lauren sounds a bit like me - being busy getting everything in order is probably helping her with it all. Yet after three years, I still don't have everything done that I feel I need to for when the end is close for me. (That has changed a bit as children have grown up more, etc.) Maybe I've ignored some of it so that I have it to focus on when I need it. I hope Lauren is able to get everything arranged the way she wants it and spend time with family and friends, enjoying the time she has left - able to stay away from the hospital with your help and the help of hospice.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

beth568

Postby beth568 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 pm

I am devastated at the thought of you losing your beautiful daughter, but so happy to hear that she is facing this with grace and maturity. Your post actually made me smile - because I see so much love and wisdom in her outlook. What a blessing that she has the time and the clarity to prepare. The loss is still ridiculously unfair, but you and Lauren have given us all a gift by sharing your story.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

Janet

Thnk you for sharing and writing to lovingly about all you , Lauren and your family are experiencing. you are an incredible family.
Daughter of loving dad, dx Stage IIIC Mar 10
Resect Apr 10. 1 lymph nodes positive
Heart history has ruled out treatments
NED to date!

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 pm

What a wonderful team you have working with you. Don't we all ask for honesty!! Want a relief to have all of these chemo, testing decisions to be lifted off your daughter. It sucks that she is dying....but right now she is living!!! Getting everything done...her way!! Any fears are being delt with. I pray that Lauren has lots of time left and pray for your strength.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”