Stoma Area Hernia

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
westie68

Stoma Area Hernia

Postby westie68 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am

Hi all: Anyone out there have a hernia at the stoma? I had to use a binder after surgery which didn't work well with the colostomy bag. They custom made a binder with a hole cut out for the stoma but that seemed to create additional problems such that I ended up with a hernia. Anyone else have this? What did you do about it if so? I had an incisional hernia after my first surgery over 3 years ago but it was fixed during my last surgery.
Thanks!
Cheryl

Bob in Watson

Re: Stoma Area Hernia

Postby Bob in Watson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 pm

I have a peristomal hernia and have found that a 4" Nu-Hope hernia belt works wonders. I ordered mine from Edgepark, but I'm sure other ostomy supply sites have them or something similar.

Bob

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm

I didnt have a peristomal one, but I did have the normal rectus separation that most women who have had multiple pregnancies have, couldnt see it, but having the stoma right next to it worsened it and I begain to have some pain in the middle which was actually bits of my guts moving into the gap - I was lucky, my surgeon did me a favour, with a reconstructive surgeon mate of his and I got to have a full tummy tuck for "medical reasons" .

I think peristomal hernias are less successfully rectified with surgeries, but I've read of people having to try multiple binders before they find one that a) they like, b) doesnt worsen the problem and c) doesnt impede the bag filling normally. I guess you can only try various products - your stoma nurse should be able to assist you.

My MIL has one and tried a hernia belt with a hole which worsened it, the pressure exerted by the belt popped it out even more. She has more luck with a traditional hernia belt - but she has a urostomy and thus the output is much more liquid and can escape even when squashed. But you can only try. I always had a very liquid output with my ileostomy and wore a couple of firm binding garments under dresses and more fitted clothing and never had an issue with leakage.

westie68

Postby westie68 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:31 am

Hi all: Isn't it funny that two of us have had the condition worsened with a binder that has a hole in it?! I'll try to find a Nu-Hope binder here in Canada.Thanks for the information.
Cheryl

smokeyjoe

Postby smokeyjoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 am

No advice for you here....just wishes that you can get this resolved, seems you just can't catch a break lately huh?? Would booking an appt. with the surgeon help, maybe he's got some suggestions.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”