Zaltrap - anyone on it?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Zaltrap - anyone on it?

Postby Kathryn in MN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Anyone else here on Zaltrap? I was on Avastin for 14 months with FOLFIRI, and then with just Irinotecan. I had a treatment break and now I am back on Irinotecan and trying Zaltrap instead of Avastin. My second treatment of this combo was pretty tough, but we think it might be that my Irinotecan dosage was a little higher. My BP is reacting just as it did on Avastin - going up to normal, instead of being really low. I've been lucky in that regard - I know many people had bad problems with BP and had to take meds to control it while on Avastin. As I understand it, Zaltrap usually causes that problem too. I am just starting to have a bit of blood when I blow my nose. I had that issue with Avastin, and over time it got pretty severe - to where I woke up with blood all over me from nose bleeds several times.

Since this drug was only approved less than 2 months ago, I know there aren't a lot of people on it yet. Just wondering if anyone else here is, and what your experience has been so far.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Re: Zaltrap - anyone on it?

Postby KarMel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Me...but I think you know that :? from FB?

I started a regorefinb experience thread and Someone on that thread asked me about Zaltrap so I gave a lil summary.bp was a big issue at first for me. Now it has stabilized.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Suze

Postby Suze » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 pm

I noticed that Kathryn in on Zaltrap and irinotecan only, and KarMel is on folfiri and zaltrap. I am curious about that. It seems like eliminating the 5Fu would make it easier to tolerate, but is it as effective? I am assuming that both of you have failed on 5Fu and irinotecan, but still get it now because zaltrap is never given as a single agent. Is that correct? i have been off chemo since April, having failed all standard chemos. I have felt great all summer, but am now become symptomatic. Part of me wants to back on chemo in order to get a little more time, but part of me thinks that with a little oxycodone, I can live out my remaining days comfortably, and let it go at that, so to speak. I guess I am looking for a chemo regimen with minimum disconfort with some benefits. Any info would be appreciated. Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

Kathryn in MN

Postby Kathryn in MN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I am using it off label. I have not failed on Irinotecan. It is approved for use with FOLFIRI, after being previously treated with an oxaliplatin based chemo. 5-FU causes a lot of problems for me, and actually doesn't seem to do anything for me - I got everything under control winter 2010/2011 after going on FOLFIRI and Avastin. We went to "maintenance" of just 5-FU and Avastin for a few cycles and I had progression. Added the Irinotecan back in and got it back under control. Dropped the 5-FU and the cancer still shrunk and did not spread. So it has been decided, no more 5-FU for me.

I had a long treatment break, but I had spread to many distant lymph nodes and several bone mets. I could have gone back to Irinotecan and Avastin, but my oncologist and I both agreed that I might as well try Zaltrap, considering it targets more than one growth factor (3 separate) while Avastin only targets one.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Mets bones & nodes

Kathryn in MN

Postby Kathryn in MN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 pm

If you failed on FOLFIRI, you wouldn't get FOLFIRI again, just to get Zaltrap. Regorafenib would be a new option for you.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Mets bones & nodes

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”