Weight Gain and Xeloda

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ASTEPHENS33

Weight Gain and Xeloda

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:22 pm

On my first 4 cycles of Xeloda, my weight stayed constant. Since then (I'm on cycle 6 now), I've gained about a pound a week. I have also had sugar cravings, which I have given into and eaten less healthy foods. I've tracked my calories and the caloric intake is basically the same and haven't changed my activity level. I figure the Xeloda must be impacting my metabolism. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks.

Mona6518

Postby Mona6518 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:15 pm

Funny.. I mentioned this to my onc at my last appointment (that I was probably one of the few folks to gain weight while doing chemo).
She responded that some people did gain weight on Xeloda (and other chemos as well).

Mona

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:39 am

I gained a lot of weight on chemo. I had these cravings for really weird foods. My chemo nurse suggested that it was partially caused by the steroids I was on durring chemo.

Erika

weight gain

Postby Erika » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:39 am

I just wanted to echo Brad's comments about steroids. If you are receiving steroids, you will likely gain weight from them. Ask your doctor. I unexpectedly gained a lot of weight quickly while on chemo- I didn't realize I was getting Decadron until I mentioned to my doctor that I couldn't fit into my pants anymore! Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do about it, but the majority of the weight will drop when you stop taking the steroids.

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:45 am

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone - I eat less (chemo impacts my apetite) and my weight stays constant. Dietician told me "do not try and drop weight right now because you will be loosing muscle not fat".......as a former drop out of Weight Watcher, Aitken's, and very other weight loss diet in the books this was music to my ears :wink:

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 11:02 pm

I have been off Chemo now for 1 month and I feel horrible.. I have gained so much weight. I lost a ton after my Liver resection in August of 2005 then in November I started gaining weight every week. the nurses told me it was the steroids etc. Well I have been off the steriods for a month now I watch what I eat and I work out on the treadmill for 25 mins a day that is all I can handle at the moment. But I can't seem to lose any weight, I am very tiered and an emotional wreck.. When I saw my Doctor last she was like you have gained 6 pounds I always thought you were a skinny little thing? Which made me feel horrible. I am thinking about seeing a nutritionist or doing acupuncture something. Everyone I see is like God you look Great you gained so much weight. Meanwhile I feel bloated and gross plus my hair is taking forever to grow back. I don't want to leave the house and see people but I have to work. I really feel beaten up! Going through all the surgieries Chemo etc and now done with it all I feel worse. Cancer sucks- also the stress and anxiety I feel about reoccurence I should be a stick! God I sound so shallow! What's wrong with me!!! ETL

ASTEPHENS33

Validation

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:25 pm

You're not shallow. Thanks for validating the same feelings I'm having.

Postby Guest » Wed May 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Your welcome just off the treadmill got up to 27 mins tonight watching American Idol on TV poor Paris. Thanks for your response -At least I am not alone. Together we can beat the beast and the bulge! Be well. ETL

ASTEPHENS33

Comments

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:36 am

I had my oncology visit today - my routine one after each chemo cycle. (Only one more to go, by the way - hooray!) Anyway, when I was talking to my husband about it, he asks me well, what did the doctor say about your weight gain? I went a bit crazy. It was like - I need support - not judgement. I just bring this up because its just how the disease is - both the body image issue and the cancer emotionality.

Postby Guest » Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 pm

I had a follow up visit today with my Doctor and I bought up the weight gain she was like don't go on some crazy diet it will come off don't knock yourself out about it. Meanwhile some guy at work said to me yesterday So is this the heaviest you have every been? I was like you Jerk! What is wrong with people? Anyhow I can deal with the weight as long as I am alive I know people that need feeding tubes because they are so sick so really this is nothing to complain about. Good for you coming to the end of Chemo.... Amen.. etl

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”