An open message to no one in particular

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

An open message to Bev in particular

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Bev G wrote: I don't know, maybe it's just me today, but that's what I'm thinking.
Bev

Well to address your message Bev, I just wanted to say I didn't assume you were leaving and needed me to tell you how important you are to the forum. I read your message as another sharing of energies with friends here, which is what you do and who you are...AND why I named you den mother many years ago. Something which has been amply demonstrated by the "don't go" posts.

Forgive me if this gets to a little of the tough love part...... but did anyone think to consider that our friend Bev may need a sabbatical from the forum... for HER own best interests ? ... and maybe we should support her even if it means she may take a break from us ?????

"If you love something...set it free.
If it returns, it is yours forever.
If not...it never was."

If you need to go, you have my support, because I know you would never leave this forum unless you really had to for your own wellbeing.
For all you mean to us and all the people who need you here..... YOU need to do what is best for you.

Love and Harmony
Liam Richard Washington
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

edinaman

Re: An open message to no one in particular

Postby edinaman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Bev, I agree with CRguy. If you need a break take it, but only a break. We need you back here when you are ready.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Patience

Postby Patience » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Bev, I cannot recall ever reading a posting by you that did not contain compassion. Please carry my thankfulness with you for your warming attitude and insight, whether in the future that be here on the forum or in your "real life" offline.

Peace to you and yours.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:07 am

C.R. guy reminded me that my selfishness did not take your needs and feelings into account (I guess that is what selfish means.) CR Guy is right, maybe with everything that is going on you need some time away from the fray. Sorry I was only thinking of myself.
Be well my friend,
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 am

Thank you all, my beloved friends, for your nice comments and incredible support. I told my husband a few days ago what was going on, and the "history repeating itself" experience I was feeling....that I was thinking of just calling it a day with the Board, etc. My husband (who appears for all the world to have cornered the market on selfishness much of the time) says "Ah, you will never do that...", and went on to list several rather insightful realities about why he believed that to be true.

Many of the people on the Board are as real, and as important, and as close to me as if we actually did live in the same neighborhood. I pray for you nightly, and there are indeed some sleepless nights I have when things are going very bad for you...hey! That's just like a family, huh? I used to put some people's upcoming scans on my calendar, so I could remember to check on results. One of my "real life"" friends once said something to me like "get a life". Well, guess what...this is my life. Having worked forever in a career I passionately loved (caring for sick pregnant women and their fetuses), that has ended. My dumb back, and cancer, ended that for me. What can and should fill that hole? I spent decades learning my craft, and now years learning what I know about this...

What could be as intensely emotional as a critically ill mom or her baby? Or as incredible a high as them both pulling through? Well, this, right here on our Board. I once said something to my son about how glad I was that I only had one child, because there was no way I could have loved another as I loved him, and he responded, "No mom, that's not how it goes....what happens is that your capacity to love just grows deeper and deeper and deeper---it is not finite". YES. That's true, I've learned.

That's what cancer has done for me. My capacity to love has grown deeper and deeper. That capacity doesn't appear to have any end in sight. When I sign stuff "love" here, I'm not just saying it...I really am feeling it. So leaving? I don't think so---sometimes choosing more carefully which posts to respond to--probably yes.

Thanks again, everyone. I wouldn't want to live without you.

Love to all,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 am

So beautifully written, Bev. I'm so glad to hear that you're not leaving :D

Love to you too,

Michelle
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

AudreyM

Postby AudreyM » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:04 am

From one of the newbies who has read many - many - many of your posting and learned lots from them - Thank You! :D :wink: :D Your time, efforts,and compassion were greatly appreciated!

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 am

Excellent Bev! Agree 100%!
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 am

:mrgreen: That's my happy face. And wow, how insightful of your son! When I was pregnant with my son (daughter was 2 years old); I had the same thought - how could I ever love another child as much as I loved her? And then my son was born - and what your son said - spot on. At that point I was ready to have a dozen more kids - lol! But hubby said 2 was good. Considering my age and later my cancer diagnosis, it was good that hubby was there to keep my head on straight - love like that is very powerful indeed!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi Bev -

As you know, I don't post often. (I can't stop reading, although periodically I tell myself that stopping reading for a while would be good.) I learned a ton from both CSN and this site. I felt connected. However, my "journey" has been a bit different than most Stage 4 folks - just dumb luck! I wish I had your supportive personality, but lately I find I am depressed by reading posts here, and I know that I have to do what works for me. My last clear scan was 8/21 and my oncologist told me "just keep what you are doing, whatever that is". The thing is that we have no idea what I'm doing - again just dumb luck (which makes me feel guilty). Sometimes you just need a break from cancer discussion - no matter the stage - but perhaps especially those of us who are long term survivors, not in treatment, but know that could change with next scan.

Take care and do what's best for you,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Sandy gma

Postby Sandy gma » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Bev, I don't know what's going on around here. I just don't have the time to read and respond as I would like to and usually just skim the posts I think are relevant to my daughter's situation. You are one of the members whose posts I look for and read and I think you are one heckuva strong woman, going through all that you are going through with your own diagnosis and now your husband's illness, all while dealing with nearly lifelong type 1 DM. If you need to take a breather from the site for your own well being I can certainly understand. I hope you don't stay gone for long. I love your posts and responses! My all-time favorite is your response in the thread about faith. I just love what you said - you put words to what I've long felt but could not articulate. I've read that one many times - it's been a while. Might need to look for it again.

Sandy

horizon

Postby horizon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 am

Kathryn in MN wrote: I find it very difficult not to speak up if I see something posted that is an old wive's tale and has no scientific backing. I worry that someone new and scared, grasping at anything they can find might be swayed by apricot seeds or other craziness, and not pursue more valid options - even if those options are non-traditional, but with some science behind them. There is no one size fits all treatment answer, but there are some things circulating that are just not true. We have to respect choices whether traditional or nontraditional, but we also don't want someone being conned or lead totally astray.

A-freaking-men. I find the attitude of "we should be able to post whatever we want from Google and you're mean/rude if you say anything negative about it" preposterous. That's my biggest fear also. The scared/frightened recently diagnosed person reading and following some potentially very shaky advice instead of pursuing scientifically backed options when time is of the essence.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 am

Bev,
I would be sad if you left so I'm glad you're not.
Thank you for being you-encouraging,helpful,praying and so much more.
I love you dearly.
Candy
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

jgall

Postby jgall » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 am

Hey Bev,

As usual I'm late to the party again :oops: ha ha. I can't add anything else really other than to echo all great sentiments already opined here. You ARE our den mother and it wouldn't be the same without you. I was so touched last year when Chris had his big surgery and I logged on very late and saw a thread from you asking how the surgery went. You really do care about us all and it shows. Thank you for your generous spirit and gracious love. I'm glad you are staying!

Namaste!
Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Glad you're staying, Bev but understand if you need a break. Your stress levels must already be off the charts and, with diabetes, you know how bad that can be. We'll be here when you get back if that's what you need to do.
Much love (really) ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13