Colon and liver resection at the same time?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pukalania

Colon and liver resection at the same time?

Postby pukalania » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:45 am

Initially I was pretty excited about this but now turning into a chicken …so wondering if any of you have gone through a similar experience and what was the outcome 

The case is: reoccurrence at tumor site and mets to liver ( tumor site is sigmoid colon, 20 cm from bottom), there will be a colon resection of tumor 2.2x2.6 cm which seems that can easily turn complicated due to previous colon resection ( 1.5 year ago colostomy reversal)..and possible need for a perm colostomy..(also not sure if tumor is attached to other pelvic organs)…there would be also a liver resection in 2 lobes, right one seems minor but caudate one seems complicated..and hard to get to…both surgeons said they can do it all at once…one said I’ll get in the morning..and the other and I’ll join in the afternoon…can you even be in surgery for a whole whole day? :shock:

From your experience does it matter which one goes first..colon vs liver? Also how do you prepare for this ( currently on iri, avastin and xeloda – can’t get up from bed most of the time, also due to abdominal pain due to obstruction), and may have to do 5 week radiation..before the surgery… it sounds a bit harsh even for a superman…to do a 2 organ resection same time?

Any tips or experiences related to this you could share would mean a lot!!! :idea:

Not doubting the surgeons…again very greatful they can do this at once…just a bit worried…and as usual turning to you guys

Thank you again for sharing
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

SMR

Re: Colon and liver resection at the same time?

Postby SMR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 am

My DH had his ascending and transverse colon, spleen, wedge of liver, part of his diaphragm, a section of abdominal wall, and a host of other parts all removed during one surgery. Scariest day of MY life, that's for sure, but for him I think doing it all at once was a good thing. That isn't to say it was easy, but good. He was in surgery all day - 12+ hours- though that did include the heated chemo portion of his surgery. Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can be in surgery all day. I wish I had a way to ease your fears, but I'm hoping all will turn out great for you! We are currently 5 months post-op and my husband is out golfing today! 8)
DH DX 10/11 st IV unkown prmry
FFOX 12/11
HIPEC 3/12
FFOX 5/12
7/12 FFIRI
12/12 xeloda
1/13 resection
2/13 FFIRI
4/13 5FU/Avastin
9/13 recurrence, failed surgery
Abdominal fistula
11/13 gemzar, heart attack
12/13 Carbo
2/14 Radiation
3/28/2014 passed

jgall

Postby jgall » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 am

My DH had 12 inches of colon removed, gall bladder, caecum, and appendix removed, and 17 tumors from his liver resected or RFA'd all at once. He was in surgery for 11hours. He did great, and had a remarkable recovery. The liver was the last part to be done. I think it's because it can bleed heavily and they want to get the other stuff done first. Also, it takes so long because they cut the blood supply off to the liver, then resect the tumor, then they have to let the blood flow again for something like 20 minutes before cutting the blood supply off and going after the next tumor. Also there is time in there to wait for the report on each tumor if clean margins were obtained. It's all very complex and time consuming.

I hope everything goes as well for you as it did for my DH.

Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

Suze

Postby Suze » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:58 am

I had a port inserted, a part of my liver resected, one liver met RFA'ed, and part of my colon resected all in one surgery. The first 48 hours after surgery were awful, but after that I had a quick recovery. It was done laparoscopicly, and that makes for an easier recovery. I wanted it all at once, because surgery is always risky, and why double the risk, so to speak. The thought of recovering from one surgery just in time to do it again was too much for me. I hope all goes well for you. Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

juliej

Postby juliej » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I had a liver resection, LAR, and an HAI pump implanted -- all in the same 7 hour surgery. I was released from the hospital 7 days later with no complications. Two weeks later I was at the big Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC! :D

It is a complex surgery, but doable. It helps to get yourself in the best shape possible beforehand. You'll need to be off Avastin for 6 weeks prior to surgery. Hope this helps!
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Lilsis
Facebook Username: Lucia Nolan

Postby Lilsis » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 pm

I had a liver/colon resection at the same time. I would not do it any other way! I can't imagine having to face having two major surgeries! My sister started a thread about it. Her user name is florencedollar. If you search her posts you should find it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
My surgery was in Oct 2010 and I have been NED since!
DX 8/2010 45 yrs old
stage 4 w/liver mets
9/2010 2 rounds folfox
Toxic reaction to oxaliplatin
full bowel blockage
10/2010 20% colon & 60% liver resec
10 rounds folfori followed with 12 rounds xeloda
NED SINCE SURGERY!!!!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Although I didn't have the surgery you're mentioning, my HIPEC was 10+ hours, so yes, someone can be in surgery the whole day. If possible, an epidural really helps speed the anaesthesia issues.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”