Naturopaths helpful with Chemotherapy treatments?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Naturopaths helpful with Chemotherapy treatments?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Just curious-have any of you had success with a naturopath who was able to

1. Successfully recommend a diet with certain supplements tailored to your present chemotherapy regimen which strengthened your immune system against C., but didn't conflict with the effectiveness of chemotherapy?

2. Results reflecting C. declining (CT CEA and PET scan results illustrating a decrease in C. activity)

Rochelle

ASTEPHENS33

My experience

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 pm

I am currently on Xeloda only and my oncologist works with a naturopath who I go to. She said her "job" really starts once I have finished the chemo, to help increase my odds of being cancer-free. Specific advise she gave while I am on chemo:

1. 1000 mg of L-glutamine 2/day, total 2000mg. She said it would help the gut.)
2. Chlorophyll complex ointment and Calendula for hand/foot issues
3. Supported multi-vitamin, calcium, B-6 that the onc prescribed
4. Said 1-2 cups a day of green tea would not impact the chemo

I am Stage IIIA - i.e., no sign of met to over organs, but did have 1 out of 33 lymph nodes with cancer. My CEA pre-chemo was .07 and is now 2.6. I was told that increases during chemo is normal. Don't have any experience post-chemo.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:58 am

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your specific feedback regarding the Naturopath explaining that the supplements would be used ideally after treatment instead of during the course of treatment.

Rochelle :)

heathersherwin

naturopath VERY helpful

Postby heathersherwin » Thu May 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Hello! Just wanted to share how important I feel my Naturopath has been for me over the course of the past 2 years that I have undergone all the chemotherapies available for colon cancer. I have been working with him very closely the entire time DURING my chemo. I have done pretty well with the treatments. I have not been sick with a cold or anything other than chemo side effects the entire time. Although my immune system is obviously very compromised.

I would HIGHLY recommend consulting with a Naturopath that specializes in working with cancer. I think I would have had a much tougher time without all the supplements and diet recommendations. I am still fighting, we will prevail my friend!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”