spread from colon to neck node?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dress In Blue Girl

spread from colon to neck node?

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:07 pm

I have a friend who has been diagnosed stage 4 colon cancer with spread to the lymphnod in his neck. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so would love to give them a good story. They are not ready for the forum yet still to new.
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

lovingstepmom

Re: spread from colon to neck node?

Postby lovingstepmom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes anita. My step-son has lymph nodes throughout his entire body, he is also a stage 4 SRC. He also has bone involvement. This is a new diagnosis for him within the last three weeks. It isn't unusual for cancer to go to the lymph nodes unfortunately. Hopefully the chemo will slow up the spread of cancer to the other areas.

I have found that there is a lot of support among this forum especially when you are new to the diagnosis. These people have a true understanding what people are going through and give out great advice. I am still at a loss for words and so scared but it helps to see the long term surviors to know that there is hope!!

My prayers are with your friend.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't remember her exact username here, but Karyn, who was known as Butterfly23 on the American Cancer CC forum discovered her colon cancer during a biopsy of a lymph node on her neck. She was quite young and died within 2 years.

Here's what she said:
I learned of my cancer in Feb 08. I started with a swollen lymphnode in my neck, went to get checked right away, from there I had a biopsy, yes it was cancer but not the source. After alot of testing, a colonoscopy found a tumor in my sygmoid area of my colon. I just turned 38 and had NO SYMPTOMS except for my lymphnode in neck. The tumor seems to have been there for quite a while, I am stage 4. I have been in treatment for a year and a half. I have had colon surgery to remove the tumor. As of Sept. 09 I now have mets to my lungs and spine. I am now doing a new treatment. RIP: Mon, 01/25/2010
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

waw4

Postby waw4 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Anita,
Well, your signature would seem to me to be an encouraging story for your friends!

I believe 1 of the neck lymph nodes, known as Virchow's node, is involved with the lymph drainage of the abdominal system and some abdominal cancers are first diagnosed by finding cancer in this node.
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you for your replies, I know it is rather a uncommon place for it to go so wondered if it was as treatable as other organs. My friend is comforted hearing my story but as a newbie they want a someone with the spread in the same place, even though we all know it only matters how their tumor reacts to the chemo.

prayers for their family they have 4 children under the age of 10
thanks
anita

folfori w/avastin,
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

mom_2_3

Postby mom_2_3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Anita,

One of our good friend's father had Stave IV colon cancer with only lymph nodes to neck and chest. The neck node was biopsies and proven to be colon cancer despite a clear colon in two colonoscopies. Turns out the doctor never actually did the procedure all the way to the cecum where a tumor was subsequently found.

In any case, 6 months of Avastin and Folfox resulted in complete response. He had the colon surgery at that point but no nodes were removed anywhere else. This past April marked his seventh year of remission.

This man's story was a great inspiration to me when I was first diagnosed. When we see him at holiday events I love noting how healthy and happy he looks.

HTH,
Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Sigmoid colon and multiple lymph nodes in multiple areas for me, but none in the neck so far. Pretty much neck down, but above pelvic area is where everything is for me, including chest and abdomen, shoulder, clavicle, and spine. It is not common to go to nodes without also going to liver and/or lungs. But I have had no organ involvement at all. I now have bone mets too - and still no organ involvement. This is even way more unusual. But as we live longer due to the treatment options out there, more odd situations are presenting.

With the location of some of my nodes (periaortic) I was supposed to only live 22 months. I'm at 37 months now and don't plan on leaving any time soon.

I know of ONE person who had just ONE distant lymph node recurrence after an original stage IIIC dx, who was able to have it resected (easy location), and did adjuvent chemo again (just like after his colon resection) and has been clear almost 3 years now since that second treatment.

I know several others like myself that just play the "whack-a-mole" game, knocking back down lymph tumors as they pop up. Most have also had/have organ involvement at some point, if not right now. The chance for cure after distant lymph involvement isn't great. But we seem to do quite well sticking around a long time. Besides people that will post on this board, I have two friends that have been using different procedures for lymph mets, plus maintenance chemo and are 7 and 8 years out from dx now, still going strong.

Options for lymph node mets are chemo, radiation (several types) cryoablation, resection and more. It all depends on how many there are, and any other spread, and the location of the nodes. My periaortic were behind my heart on my spine and no one would touch them - not a surgeon or radiologist. Chemo ended up taking those out. But I had 4 others (abdominal and against esophagus) radiated with good results.

I wonder about your statement that they aren't ready for the forum because they are too new? Unless there are underlying circumstances, this is a VERY good place for someone new to ask questions and get information. It was a life-saver for me right after dx. I think a lot of us here would say the same.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 am

I dont mean to say that this isnt a good place to come if you are new . I am just saying I am respecting what has been said to me on what they want in ways of support.

Everyone is very different on what they need. I agree this is a very supportative group but it can also be very overwhelming and additive to read the sad stories and I have worked with many people early at diagnosis and listen closely to what they say they want to know what they are looking for and where they are with that.
Thank you for all the responses.
anita

folfori w/avastin,
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am

waw4 wrote:Anita,
Well, your signature would seem to me to be an encouraging story for your friends!

I believe 1 of the neck lymph nodes, known as Virchow's node, is involved with the lymph drainage of the abdominal system and some abdominal cancers are first diagnosed by finding cancer in this node.

Yes, this is true. The Virchow node located on the left side of the neck is what they call a sentinel lymph node for CC. Lymph spread tends to go upwards to the nodes along the collarbone and then to the neck.
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

chrissyl
Facebook Username: christine bryan

Postby chrissyl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 am

Hi,

I hade stage 3c cancer rectal and 5 months after finishing chemo i found a pea size lump in my neck.....Biopsied....colon cancer....that was last year so far so good.Iam on a low dose chemo and alternative treatments .The chemo seemed to get rid of the node in my neck...So far no organ involvement.....
chrissy. I was initially diagnosed in aug 2010 and here aim fit as a fiddle.....
stage 3c rectal cancer dx whilst 20 weeks pregnant
11 out of 19 lymph nodes positive
surgery- clear margins
T2,N2,MO
Portacath
Chemo with 5fu and Leuc
mri came back clear ,abdominal ultrasound clear,Lung scan clear
before surgery.

StupidAssCancer
Facebook Username: Alys.Geertsen

Postby StupidAssCancer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 pm

I know this post is old but I'm curious as to what ended up happening? I just had my PET and two nodes in left neck lit up. Getting them surgically biopsied on Monday. I'm nervous they are a metasis, however no lung or liver involvement.
Thank you!
Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer
Surgery March 2013 Jpouch Temp Iliostomy
May 2013Chemo Infusions 5-FU Oxi Lev-Allergic
Radiation w/Xeloda Chemo-Allergic
Oct 2013 Reversal of Ostomy Nov 2013 Perm Ileostomy
Feb 2016 Ostomy collapsed moved to other side
Jun 2016 colon removed permanent ileostomy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”