Need a pep talk...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Need a pep talk...

Postby KarMel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 pm

I am really starting to get tired of all this.

I will be getting back on chemo tomorrow and I am totally dreading it.
I went off the regorafenib late July, waited two weeks to get restarted, only to be told I no longer qualified. then, it was suggested I try folfiri and Zaltrap. It took a month for my hospital to get Zaltrap, but they finally did.

I have been off all chemo for a month, and while I don't quite feel normal, I don't feel horrible either.
My hair is coming back, nicely. But it wil be gone again in a month.
I have to wear the stupid 5FU pack again, which I utterly hate.
then having to also deal with diarrhea from irinotecan. Immodium and lomotil don't always work for me.

This is very petty but I am soooo tired of people saying I look good. I want to show them all the tumors on my CT. Invite them to cancer clinic to see me hooked up to my port for 5 hours. Come home with me and watch me lay on my couch for hours at a time due to fatigue.

Whine over. Smack me on the side of the head and tell me to be grateful I have an option, at least. I don't care .
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

rp1954

ok

Postby rp1954 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Karin, have you thought seriously about adding some of the nicer complementary-experimental regimes for multiple modulation or targets?

How about favorable lengthy experiences like we've seen with whiteswan etal with various regimens or LuvinLife2 at CSN had adding intravenous vitamin C to her 5FU-irinotecan? There's no need to wait in line either.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

RixInPhx

Re: Need a pep talk...

Postby RixInPhx » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm

What's your favorite cheese with a whine like that??
A sharp cheddar is mine, and it goes nicely with golden delicious apples or even apple pie!!

Just kidding Karin, I know it can all seem kinda pointless.

But if it keeps you here for another few months, and is still doable to you with some enjoyment of life, then IMO it's worth it.

Whine on!
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

abuttigi

Postby abuttigi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Karin,

I have NO idea how tough chemotherapy is. From seeing my dad go through it, I can see why you are dreading tomorrow. I wish I had some uplighting words for you, but all I can say is I am seriously so grateful to have met you here. The amount of calm, compassion, and love you have given me has gotten me through the toughest days. So today I throw it all back to you. We are all here for you 100% and are ready to cheer you on. Get a good night's rest and wake up ready to kick those tumors in their hiney's tomorrow!

Love and hugs and happy thoughts!

Angie
Daughter to George (64)
Dx'ed Jan '11 Stage IV CC liver and peritoneum, KRAS mutant
Folfox
Folfori, Avastin
SIRT
Aug '12- progression in liver, mets to lungs
Oct '12- mets to bone, Regorafenib
Nov '12- Hospice
12/10/12- Became my beautiful angel in heaven

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Whine away, Baby!! You definitely have something to whine about and I'll bring a nice sharp cheese. :mrgreen:

Today's the one year anniversary of me starting adjuvant chemo...still on chemo when I thought it was just going to be six weeks and I'd be done. Like you, that hasn't been my lot so I can definitely understand the whine, especially if folfox is involved! Hate that stuff!

Do something nice for yourself tonight. You sound like you need it and you definitely deserve it.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

This is the place to whine. I hate chemo. I do it, but I hate it.

I understand being tired of people telling you how good you look. If one more person tells me I look good with a buzz cut I think I'm going to smack them.

So grab a good cheddar, and some apple slices as Rick suggested, and whine away before the chemo hits your taste buds!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

fritts44
Facebook Username: Lee Fritts

Postby fritts44 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I think that you're entitled to a little whine, especially with how long you've been dealing with all this crap. I think it's mentally healthy to give yourself a little pity party every now & again. If you have any guilt around the self-pity, maybe just set some parameters. Give yourself a time limit & say that you get to feel sorry for yourself for 2 hours, or until tomorrow morning, or whatever time you think you need. Then, tell yourself that when the timer dings, no more whining & it's time for fighting.

The whining is just a healthy way to rejuvenate yourself mentally to get ready for the next round, so indulge yourself!

One mental pick-me-up tip I used before chemo came from my breast cancer buddy. She told me to wear a new outfit before each round of chemo. It did surprise me at how shopping for my chemo outfit could pump me up for my next round. Finishing the shopping was like flipping a switch that put me in fighting mode (or, at least, that's what I told my husband :) ). I didn't do anywhere near the # of treatments you've endured (typing paused to dream of the bulging closet!). I'm digressing, but my point is to maybe find something that "flips that switch" for you, and before that moment, allow yourself some pity. You deserve it!
Lee F
RC dx 12/16/10
resection & perm colo 12/17/10
8 rounds chemo, 28 rounds radiation
finished 8/26/2011
clean scope 9/20/2011
clean CT scan 12/26/2011
NED

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Karin,
You're entitled to whine, b**ch, whatever...anytime you want.
Have you talked to the onc about switching to Xeloda this time around?
It wouldn't take away the irinotecan diarrhea but....at least you would be rid of the fanny pack!
Something is better than nothing, right??
Another thing to ask your onc about is QUESTRAN. It's given to patients sometimes after gallbladder surgery but works oh so well for diarrhea that often isn't controlled by the normal meds like Imodium. Not saying it would make everything A-ok but, again, might make life more bearable.
Seriously Karin, ask your doc about it. Too often docs don't think about it. It was originally marketed as a cholesteral drug - very old so not used much for that reason anymore. I've known three people, all with cancer/chemo who've had to ask their onc about it and then it's like 'oh yeah, ok". Works nicely. It's generic, cheap and honestly is like a wonder drug!! Be careful though.....IF you take too much, you've got the other problem - uncomfortable constipation!!

Just some minor ideas to ??maybe?? make things for you a tad more bearable
Take care.
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 pm

you can whine anytime on here. we will all be waiting to hold your hand.

as to the hair, i am with you. i am really really tired of being told my short hair looks great. i miss my long black hair. so i had a party with my granddaughters and gave them bags of hair ribbons, barrettes, rubber bands, head bands you name it. we had a lot of fun and it made me feel better. plus they "worked" on my hair to give me some styling tips. it wasn't pretty.

funny about the new clothes for chemo. i did that too!!
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Oh, I hear you baby. Chemo, on and off, for three years or so, I don't know how you do it. I declined chemo after my recurrence, for a variety of reasons which I have explained in my blog. But consider where the impulse comes from - it is the drive, the urge for life. Not something ever to be belittled or scoffed at. And for some of us, it is that drive that will lead to remission or even survival. And I sincerely hope you are one of those. But I hear you.
I like it when people tell me I look well. The other day, when I returned from a two week break my secretary told me I looked like shit. The mirror agreed with her. But I could have done without the comment. Goodbye Christmas bonus. Anyway, I hope it is not as bad as you think. Be kind to yourself.
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

mymom

Postby mymom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Whine away....I don't know what chemo feels like but I see the strength it takes to get thru it. The toll it takes on your body. You deserve to whine all you want.
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri
NED to 10/13,1 liver met,ablation, Folfiri
NED to 12/14, another spot
3/15 NED
Ablation 1 liver met 10/15
1/16-current NED
6/22- small spot liver again, ablation oct 2023

jerun

Postby jerun » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:02 am

You are amazing ...I can't imagine going thru as much chemo for as long as you have.
I just went thru 10 treatments of Folfox/Avastin and then went right on Xeloda and I hate that too...
I am going in next week just to have my port flushed for the 1st time and I'm really dreading even stepping foot in the infusion room again... I feel like such a whimp... but the whole experience of chemo and the side effects have completely overwhelmed me.... I just can't seem to get over the shock of my reccurence and I'm real pissed off I ever let them put that Oxi poison in me... but glad I stopped at 10... my neurothapy is getting worse every day... I have very little feeling in both feet and now my hands are getting bad... so I'm sharing some whine with you... but you have gone thru so much more...Cancer is such a bitch... and so is chemo.
I wish you the best.
2/09 dx CRC
3/09 SIGMOID Resect (Stage 1)
2/12 Mets Sacrum/lung .. Rad to sacrum/FOLFOX/Avastin
Xeloda
2/13 PET: new 4.5 x 6 cm tumor in sacral vertebrae
3/13 3 Wks RAD/Sacrum

kims
Facebook Username: ksegers

Postby kims » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 am

I hated being on 5FU and oxi. I can relate to you not wanting to be there again. Big hugs to you. You might also want to consider treating yourself to some pampering afterward like a massage or some other spa treatment
47 YOA
11/08 stage 2 breast cancer
completed chemo 6/09
diagnosed 1/11 stage 3B CC
4 rounds FOLFOX followed by 6 rounds Xeloda
completed 9/11
Pet scan 10/11 - NED
CT Scan 1/12, 4/12; 11/12 - NED
7/13 - recurrence - 1cm lesion left lung; VATS 7/13

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:07 am

No smack. It sucks.

wifenurse

Postby wifenurse » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Just wanted to say that you have been an inspiration to me. I remember my husband struggling mid-way through his chemo regimen. He took an extra week off between treatments just to regroup much to his oncologist's consternation. Praying that your treatments go better this time without all the side effects.
Christy
Wife of Jayson, diagnosed Oct 2009 CRC - age 39
Radiation & Chemotherapy Nov-Dec 2009
Colon & Liver resection Feb 2010 - Stage IV
Folfox + Avastin X 12 treatments - finished Aug 2010
NED 10/10, 1/11, 7/11, & 12/11

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”