Prepopik prep - has anyone from Canada used it?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
elise

Re: Prepopik prep - has anyone from Canada used it?

Postby elise » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 am

I paid $22 for 2 packets of it in Ottawa at a big name pharmacy.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

kims
Facebook Username: ksegers

Postby kims » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 am

Probably too late to order it now, but you can get it from any of the online Canadian pharmacies without a prescription - its about $20-$25 USD for 2 packets plus shipping costs. In Canada it is called Pico Salax, but its the same manufacturer as Prepopik. Figures they are selling it for 1000X profit in the US!
47 YOA
11/08 stage 2 breast cancer
completed chemo 6/09
diagnosed 1/11 stage 3B CC
4 rounds FOLFOX followed by 6 rounds Xeloda
completed 9/11
Pet scan 10/11 - NED
CT Scan 1/12, 4/12; 11/12 - NED
7/13 - recurrence - 1cm lesion left lung; VATS 7/13

mattduke

Postby mattduke » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I used Prepopik for my colonoscopy yesterday. I live in the U.S. My Dr. was not familiar with it and it took some arm-twisting to get a Rx. Pharmacy had to special-order it and I paid $70. It was covered by my insurance, but as a non-formulary drug so most of the cost was out-of-pocket.

Would DEFINITELY recommend it - my last prep (phospho-soda) was awful going in and awful going out. Split-doses of only 5 oz. each (followed by water). Didn't taste bad. Cleansing was effective but gentle. I never thought i'd describe colonoscopy prep as "no big deal".

Mountain mama

Postby Mountain mama » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 am

In the U.S. most drug insurance companies will not pay for it. It cost me $98, but much better than the gallon of awful tasting liquid I've had to drink previously.

dalte

Postby dalte » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Target pharmacy just phoned me and said that my rx of the prepoik would be $45. and that is AFTER insurance- why so much more here?

eantnay

Postby eantnay » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Prepopik was prescribed by my gastroenterologist for a routine colonoscopy in NY recently. He requested the split dose regimen, which was to take the first dose the night before, then the second dose the morning of, at least 5 hours before the procedure. I mixed up the first 5-oz dose at 7:30 pm and drank it with no problem. Nothing objectionable to me about it at all. It has a slight citrus aroma and tastes a little salty. Much better than the 64 oz of MIralax laced Gatorade I had 5 years ago and light years ahead of the Fleet Phospho-soda I had 10 years ago. I followed that up with five 8-oz glasses of clear liquids over the next ~2 hours (some water, some Gatorade, some apple juice). At around 10 pm nature called and I had a very watery bowel movement that lasted about 10 min. After that, I felt fine and went to bed around 10:30 pm. I figured that was going to be it until I took the next dose in the morning, but I was wrong. I woke up around 4 am with stomach cramps and headed to the bathroom. Another round of the runs, this time mostly fluid. I also had some nausea and began to feel faint. I decided that I could not take a chance on what the second dose would do to me and how long the effects would last, so I did not take it. I did drink an additional three 8-oz glasses of fluid that morning, stopping about 2 hours before the procedure.

Upon check-in at the facility, they asked about my prep and I told them exactly what happened. The doctor was able to perform the colonoscopy and afterwards I asked him if the prep was sufficient. He said he had to do a little extra cleanout work, but it was fine.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm

The trouble with all these newest and greatest ideas is that most DOCTORS have never actually done them for themselves ...
kinda do what I say not what I do !!! :twisted:

Pico Salax (Canada) = Propopik (USA) and is NEW in the US but been used for many years elsewhere. It is the ONLY prep I have ever used and I've been juicing this c-scope stuff now since 2007. Here's the way I use it (Canada) : first dose 8 am the day before scoping, second dose 3-4 pm the day before scoping, then clear liquids only until the scope next day. Talk nicely to the booking nurse and get an early scope, wake up by 10 - noon and then back to "normal" for the rest of the day.

mini-rant on your behalf !
Sorry to be rude but if your Doc told you to start your prep at night ...... what the hell did he think was going to happen OVERNIGHT ... duh ! WTF ?
YOU did the right thing by cancelling the second dose if you were not feeling well, but your Doc needs a bit of a bitchslap into reality.

Next time ask him over for cocktails at night and spike HIS drink with Prepopik then call him at 3 am to see how he's doing ! :twisted:

Glad you cleaned out and hopin' for a good scopin' result.

Cheers and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”