Recovery time from and experience with ileostomy reversal?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
whitehawk

Re: Recovery time from and experience with ileostomy reversal?

Postby whitehawk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:16 pm

I had ileostomy (I had the ileostomy for 1 year)reversal 2 months ago. A week after surgery I had 2 hard BM's then was constipated. I was given stool softeners until things were loosened. But since then I still have loose stools and diarrhea every day all day long. After eating I can have 3 to 5 loose stools. I get mild cramps.

I tried Benefiber for a week but saw no difference. I am bulking up on the high fiber foods but nothing seems to be slowing things down. :(

Just how long do I say to myself, "it will take a while for my colon to work properly?" :?

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

debbylor52 wrote:

Jane, I was wondering if you found out why there was pain where your incision was from where your colostomy closure. I am at 4 weeks recovery and I am having severe pain upon moving where my colostomy was. I visited the doctor today, he wanted to wait another week before I returned to work, and if not better in a week he wants me to have a CT scan.

I'm not Jane but after my ileostomy closure where they stitched it together I had severe sharp shooting pains for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. I would hurt when I switched from a laying down position to standing up. It healed fine and the pain went away though. I think there were just more nerves in the area of the surgery or something.
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Diagnosed 6/04 Stage III CC, 7/16 Nodes, FAP
Subtotal Colectomy 6/04 failed,Ileostomy 6/04
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Laser Endoscopy 8/05 perforated duodenum
Emergency surgery to repair perforation
Currently 9.5 years NED!

Twinsmom

Postby Twinsmom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Whitehawk,

If you are bulking up on high fiber foods that may actually be speeding things up. It sounds like we had our reversals about the same time. I am too dealing with frequent bowel movements but it is gradually getting a little bit better. What I did was cut down to about the minimum amount of fiber I could get while still eating my 8 servings of fruits and vegetables (about 20 grams). I have emphsized soluable fiber (citrus fruits, brocolli, brussel sprouts, carrots, oats are good sources as is Metamusel). I now have a couple of minor bowel movements in the morning, a few in the afternoon and then have about a 2 hour cluster in the evening. I notice I am now getting more output at one sitting which is an improvement. I am gradually starting to add more fiber into my diet - a couple grams a week. Overall, while this is still far from where I want to be, it is bearable.

Good luck,
Wendy
rectal cancer dx 12/19/08 at age 46
49 yrs old
stage IIa
chemoradiation 6 weeks Jan 09-Feb09
surgery 4/13/09, clean margins, temp ileo
Folfox 5/09 - 10/09
Takedown 12/07/09
Clean CT scans April, 2010 and May 2011: NED
Twin sons, age 13

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Apples and dates are also good soluble fiber sources. Try a probiotic and/or a probiotic yogurt (Activia) too. There are a few threads on her of reversal surgery experiences and tips. Hang in there - it does get better with time in most cases.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 am

I've become an expert at soluble fibers and I hate to break the news by some of these foods mentioned are not soluble fiber. I'd stay away from the citrus, brocholi, apples if soluble fiber is your goal. I've found though that mixing soluble and insoluble fiber helps a lot. Here is a good website that breaks down what is soluble fiber...

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm

I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I need to stay away from foods that tend to give me gas. "Reluctant" because they probably outnumber the things that don't give me gas, and they represent some of my favorite things to eat. Hopefully that's just a temporary situation, but it's really not worth the trouble coping with an overstimulated digestive system. Maybe I should try Beano or some other gas suppressant. "Good days" and "bad days" happen for a reason.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

debby

Postby debby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Jon Olis wrote:
debbylor52 wrote:

Jane, I was wondering if you found out why there was pain where your incision was from where your colostomy closure. I am at 4 weeks recovery and I am having severe pain upon moving where my colostomy was. I visited the doctor today, he wanted to wait another week before I returned to work, and if not better in a week he wants me to have a CT scan.

I'm not Jane but after my ileostomy closure where they stitched it together I had severe sharp shooting pains for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. I would hurt when I switched from a laying down position to standing up. It healed fine and the pain went away though. I think there were just more nerves in the area of the surgery or something.

oops, sorry about the mix up. I returned back to work Thursday Febrary 5, 2010 and at about 4 pm my healed up incision where the colostomy bag used to be opened up a tiny bit and started draining. I called the surgeon and went to see him on friday morning he opened my up a little more, (I have a hole about 1" opened). He said I had a small infection.

Ann.W

Postby Ann.W » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 am

I had an emergency Colostomy on 1st august this year. I had not been unwell, and my bowels and rectum were healthy. I had a traumatic accident which caused my rectal/vaginal wall to rupture. I also ruptured an artery in the same location. I had lost a lot of blood, and the only way to allow the rectal/vaginal wall to heal without risk of infection was to create a stoma and I was fitted with a colostomy bag. I had two surgeries within 14 hours, and to be honest I was more distressed with the colostomy bag than I was by the thought that I had nearly died.

My recovery went well. I was determined not to let this accident stop me from living my life, and that I would not let this bag debilitate me. I was home from hospital within 7days, and not taking much pain relief. I tried my best to return to normal activities, I was determined, however, the bag dictated my routine, dictated what I could do and when. I found after 6weeks I was fairly depressed by the presence of the bag, and resented the accident. I found it very uncomfortable, and my life had changed dramatically. There was very little routine. I could not swim or dance how I used to. My choice of clothing was affected.

I had my colostomy reversed on wednesdy 1st December. I was more relieved to be able to see a life without the bag, than I was nervous or fearful about the op. I came home from hospital on the Friday, again on no pain relief. I had my first bm on the Saturday. It was extremely uncomfortable, and took about 15 mins to complete. I am having more frequent bm's than before the surgery. And they pass with difficulty. Will this go away?

Also, I have a lot of bloating.... And am eager to return to exercise after putting on weight, with being depressed, and not as active as I had been previously. I aparantly have a high pain threshold, so I'm not worried so much about wen the pain will pass, but wen it will be safe for me to return to exercise. I am 5days post op. And can't wait to return to a normal life.... Will this ever be the case?

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Ann.W wrote:I had an emergency Colostomy on 1st august this year. I had not been unwell, and my bowels and rectum were healthy. I had a traumatic accident which caused my rectal/vaginal wall to rupture. I also ruptured an artery in the same location. I had lost a lot of blood, and the only way to allow the rectal/vaginal wall to heal without risk of infection was to create a stoma and I was fitted with a colostomy bag. I had two surgeries within 14 hours, and to be honest I was more distressed with the colostomy bag than I was by the thought that I had nearly died.

My recovery went well. I was determined not to let this accident stop me from living my life, and that I would not let this bag debilitate me. I was home from hospital within 7days, and not taking much pain relief. I tried my best to return to normal activities, I was determined, however, the bag dictated my routine, dictated what I could do and when. I found after 6weeks I was fairly depressed by the presence of the bag, and resented the accident. I found it very uncomfortable, and my life had changed dramatically. There was very little routine. I could not swim or dance how I used to. My choice of clothing was affected.

I had my colostomy reversed on wednesdy 1st December. I was more relieved to be able to see a life without the bag, than I was nervous or fearful about the op. I came home from hospital on the Friday, again on no pain relief. I had my first bm on the Saturday. It was extremely uncomfortable, and took about 15 mins to complete. I am having more frequent bm's than before the surgery. And they pass with difficulty. Will this go away?

Also, I have a lot of bloating.... And am eager to return to exercise after putting on weight, with being depressed, and not as active as I had been previously. I aparantly have a high pain threshold, so I'm not worried so much about wen the pain will pass, but wen it will be safe for me to return to exercise. I am 5days post op. And can't wait to return to a normal life.... Will this ever be the case?

Ann, Just so I understand. You had no colon resection but probably a loop loop colostomy. This would mean your colon remained attached to your rectum but somewhere along the way it diverts outside the body at the colostomy. If this is the case then I think recover should progress fairly rapidly. 5 days is not nearly enough time to be thinking this is your new normal. Those of us that have a colon resection can take months or even years as our bodies adjust. I do not think you will take that long but I do think it could be months. How long did you have the colostomy?
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

Ann.W

Postby Ann.W » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:08 pm

I had the colostomy for four months. Ye, it was a loop loop.

I know my recovery would be easier than a resection. It is hard to find information about my condition as the accident was so rare. Most people who have had colostomys have had prior, or diagnosed bowel conditions. My surgeon had never heard of anything similar happening in similar circumstances. I am/was a healthy, fit 27 year old prior to this. I am hoping to return to work as a fully functioning member of my station party sometime in the future. I don't think I could do a desk job in the and I guess i'm a bit anxious as to the overall affect this will have had on my life.

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 pm

All I can say is hang in there. You've only been home for 4 days. Take it easy, eat low residue foods. Eat small meals more frequent. Your body will adjust, hopefully back to where it was before. Time will tell. Why don't you think you could do a desk job when you return to work?
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

Ann.W

Postby Ann.W » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 am

I guess I'm so used to being an active member. I love the interaction with the public, and the job I do, it's hard work, but very rewarding. I will be given a desk job, for 6months initially, but I would like to think I could return to full policing duties. That's why I chose this profession.

Maybe I'm over eager to return to a 'normal' life.....

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:35 am

Ann.W wrote:I guess I'm so used to being an active member. I love the interaction with the public, and the job I do, it's hard work, but very rewarding. I will be given a desk job, for 6months initially, but I would like to think I could return to full policing duties. That's why I chose this profession.

Maybe I'm over eager to return to a 'normal' life.....

Oh, I didn't understand you completely from your previous email. I totally think you can return to your previous job. Just give it a few months. Keep in mind our digestive system is like a fragile ecosystem. When we have surgery everything gets knocked out of whack. It takes time to reboot and get everything working again. I had 6 feet of colon out and I mountain bike ride/race, away from bathrooms for 4 hours at a time.

Just hang in there and give it time. :D
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

dsl

Postby dsl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm

I had my reversal on 11/17, after having the bag for 9 months. My rectum was all removed and 25% of my spincker muscles. I think that I am doing great. No accidents. Going to the bathroom a few more times that I would like but I know that in time it will get better.
mom of 2 kids (6 & 3)
37 years old
diag: stage 3b colonrectal cancer 11/09
6 wks chemo and rad finished 12/09
surgery 2/10, temp illestomy
12 more rounds of chemo finished 8/22/10
takedown 11/17/10
So Far So Good!!!!!!Thanks to many prayers!!!!

jessicamcoe

Re: Recovery time from and experience with ileostomy reversa

Postby jessicamcoe » Mon May 27, 2013 11:25 am

Hey there!

I had my illeostomy reversal about 6 weeks ago. I had stage 3 Colon Cancer at age 26 with 2 rounds of chemotherapy, a round of radiation and two surgeries.
I definitely had a hard time getting used to and managing the ostomy, I had constant leaking problems and skin irritations (especially in the beginning.)

I tried not to let my ostomy control my life, but with the second round of chemo came severe diarrhea with vomiting and very bad digestive problems.

Needless to say, I am very glad to be rid of my ostomy but adjusting to using my bowels again hasn't been a walk in the park either. The surgery itself was nothing compared to the originally loop illeostomy, but the recovery process has been somewhat painful. It changes almost daily but I still evacuate my bowels at least 5-10 times a day and it seems to be mostly at night. The other thing I have difficulty with is passing gas at times and your body has to get used to the sensation again.

I was told it would take probably few months to have my bowels return to a more normal schedule so here's hoping!! Good luck!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”