Documentary Film

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bluemarlinchef24

Documentary Film

Postby bluemarlinchef24 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:59 pm

Hello all!
I am new here but feel very welcome!

I am a 28 year old guy from Los Angeles but currently live in Las vegas.
I have been suffering from Severe Ulcerative Colitis for about 3.5 years and it has drastically changed my life.
I used to be very athletic and social (parties, clubs, etc...) but this disease has left my body ravaged. I have poor energy and cannot do most of the things that I really enjoy doing (playing tennis,hockey,baseball,etc..).
I am Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired!
I am not a very religious man but I now feel that I have a higher calling in life. I really believe that this battle with UC has changed my life for the better. I believe that I got this condition to help others (and myself of course!) overcome.

I wanted to get some of your opinions and possibly some help with a Documentary that I plan on filming about my currrent battle with Severe Ulcerative Colitis. I want to make this film about the various forms of IBD and Colon Cancer. I want to raise awareness!

The film will be about my personal every day struggle with the disease and how it has severly limited me. I want to show how I plan on healing myself through a healthy diet and lifestyle ( i hope it works!). I will film various Doctor visits and tests (colonoscopies, blood work results, etc..), support groups, a daily-diary of how I feel on diffferent days, and other's suffering from this and how their lives and the lives of their loved one's are affected.

I am thinking that this documentary is less about me but rather about everyone else out there suffering and how people are afraid or reluctant to talk about these diseases.

We need to raise awareness about Colon cancer and how it is preventable.

I am really scared that I might get Cancer if I don't do something about my condition!! :cry:

I want to interview people who have and are currently taking on these ravaging diseases. PERHAPS MOLLY might be available in Newport Beach for an interview as I plan on attending!

What do you all think about this? Would you be interested in participating?
Any advice please?

I would also like to form a Non-Profit Organization in my area. Las Vegas.
I want to form this and help raise money for others that do not have health insurance and the money needed for medications and/or treatments. I know what it feels like!

Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Charlie
www.helpcharliegetwell.com

Fitzgeraldmom

Postby Fitzgeraldmom » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:57 am

Hello Charlie,
My name is Kellie Fitzgerald. I am 30 years old and have three children, ages 4, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2.
I have Ischemic Colitus and have had a total of 4 episodes. 2 out of 4 have landed me in the hospital, one of which made me miss Christmas this year with my kids. From what the doctors have told me, the two episodes I have had have been pretty serious! I have had it in two different places and the doctors and nurses at the hospital I was at were VERY close to removing some or all of my colon. There is no family history of IC but a big history of colon cancer in our family. Luckily I have broken the family curse and have no polups! (YIPEE!!!)
I have had two more episodes since being discharged from the hospital on December 29th. Luckily I have not bled from them so I did not need to be hospitalized! I have stopped drinking caffeine (which SUCKS for the record!) and I have limited my chocholate intake (which, again, SUCKS!!!) and am now trained to know the signs of what is going on and immediately switch to a clear liquid diet when it happens again.
No one here in Connecticut knows what the hell is wrong or how to go about fixing it. I am a medical mystery. I do not fit the profile of a "typical Ischemic Colitus" case so I am at a standstill.
I totally agree with you, it is very frustrating! I am constantly worried each time I use the bathroom as to if I will see blood or not and it drives me crazy!
If I can be of any help to your documentary, please contact me!!!
Good luck to you. I will add you to our prayer book at church!!
Kellie Fitzgerald

buemarlinchef24

Postby buemarlinchef24 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks Kellie!

I will pray for you as well.

I cannot imagine having UC and the responsibility of Children! You are very brave! I'm sure your children provide the love and support you need to help you fight this condition.

I will also keep you in mind for the documentary..It will be a long road but it will get done.

Thanks again and be well!

Charlie

Fitzgeraldmom

Ugh

Postby Fitzgeraldmom » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Charlie,
Well, your colitus and mine are a little different but yes, dealing with kids and running to the bathroom every 5 minutes is not fun! I wish you all the best for your future film, Watch out Sundance, Here comes Charlie!
Keep me posted!
Kellie

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:34 am

Hi Charlie,

I read your post and had to reply. Here`s a brief overview of my story.

I got UC when I was 15 yrs old. I too was very active and athletic. This disease took the wind out of my sails overnight. I was so sick. My immune system was overrun. I caught every cold and flu around not to mention bloody diarrhea constantly day and night.
I understand what your going thru. I had UC for 27 years.

My family Dr. examined me and put me on Donatol ( opium ) thinking the disease was psychosomatic. Needless to say, finishing school drugged was difficult and eventually, intuitively, I discontinued this treatment. I tried many treatments. Diets, meditation, faith healings, you name it.

When I was 26 or so I ended up in the hospital with severe appendicitis. The surgeon who did the operation asked if anything else was bothering me and I mentioned UC. He refered me to a Gastroenterologist.

I have always been the type of person who prefers natural treatments but I needed some relief and agreed to taking Prednisone. Well....It worked somewhat. It allowed me to function better, not normal, but better. I continued to take the drug in very small dosage for many years. I went thru relapses and remissions 3-4 times a year. I married, started a building business, had threee children. Tried to act normal and healthy but I had a secret. I was very ill. I was the master of excusses. I missed out on much of life due to uncontollable diarrhea.

I knew I was at high risk for colon cancer. I tried to put it out of my mind. I did get colonosopys every 5 yrs or so as per Drs. orders. At one point I was given a book about ostomies. I read it out of curiosity but proptly gave it back and proclaimed, " No thank you".....

In mid-life (40) I felt particurly bad and had difficulty working and kinda knew something was wrong. I got the courage up and called my Dr. and he did a scope and found a tumor. My surgeon gave me the option to have a partial colectomy or be done with it and have it all out. Well, I was not prepared to do "the unthinkable" so chose the partial. It saved my life but I was still compromised by UC.

Two years later....I asked for and recieved my ileostomy. It has been the best thing to ever happen to me. I mean it. I`m in contol now. I`m relaxed, more confident, more active.

I`m involved with a support group for ostomates. I will be riding in a benefit bike ride this June called Get your Guts in Gear ( benefiting The Colon Club along with The Crohn`s and Colitis foundation, United Ostomy Associations of America and the IBD quilt project)

I wish you the best in dealing with your disease. It`s a good idea you have to raise awareness. Let me know if I can help.

Bob Baker

Holly32

Postby Holly32 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi Charlie,
I too live in Henderson, am 32 years old and diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer November '05. Just finished my chemo March 23. I am going to get a PET scan at the end of the month. I think what you're doing sounds great. Let me know if I can help. God bless, Holly

Christine

Postby Christine » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Hi Charlie,

I'm 28 years old, live in LA and have stage IV colon cancer which was diagnosed last August. I've had to stop working and much of my life has been put on hold as I go through treatment for this disease, but I still try to push ahead and do things that make me happy - like spending last weekend visiting friends in NYC.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

bluemarlinchef24

WOW!

Postby bluemarlinchef24 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:34 pm

WOW!

The response from you all is very encouraging! I just bought the camera I needed for the documentary. I must admit that this is the first time I have ever attempted this. Because I am an amateur with no professional help, I hope I can achieve 1/4 of what I hope to.

Most importantly I just want to get the word out there and raise awareness that these diseases are more prevelant than most people think or would like to admit.
For example, I went to get car insurance the other day and after talking to my agent, i found out that she has IBS and her husband has diverticulitis! See what I mean!

I will be attending the Colossal Colon Tour in Newport Beach,CA on Thursday & Friday as well as the Symposium on Saturday at Hoag Hospital.
I hope that I will be able to film it and make it a part of my film.
If I do get to tape I will post some footage on my web site for you all to see! (www.helpcharliegetwell.com)

I am starting my new diet tomorrow! I am going to try Jordan Rubin's suggestions. He wrote "Patient Heal Thy Self" & "The Makers Diet". He had Severe Crohn's Disease and healed himself with diet playing a major role of therapy.

Please pray for me so that I can keep at it. I know it will be hard but in the end I hope I will see some improvement.

Someone once said....."NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS GOOD HEALTH FEELS"!
I try to remember this and it motivates me to change my eating habits and lifestyle.

I will document this on film and hope to show that althought it is difficult to change your diet, If I can do it, anyone can...trust me on that!!

NO MORE SUGAR FOR ME!

Holly, I would like to get together sometime! Perhaps you can help me. We can help each other!
Email me @ bluemarlinchef24@gmail.com for contact info..

Also, Thanks Christine & Bob! I will keep your offers of help in mind!

I am very excited about this and hope that in some small way I can help others overcome!

Take Care and God Bless!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”