Fighting Neuropathy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Liz=)

Fighting Neuropathy

Postby Liz=) » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm on my last Folfox tx this week and so far the numbness pins/needles feeling is starting to go up my legs on the worst days and the bottom of the feet on my best days. I feel very unsteady on my feet and once couldn't feel the accelerator in my car. Of course, there's also my fingers and even my mouth/tongue/teeth but my feet bother me more!

The doc is only telling me that in some cases this can be permanent. No stats or other ideas? I've been using warm footbaths and/or warm ricebags on my feet, the heat seems to help temporarily, but what about drugs such as Lyrica (or is that only for diabetic neuropathy? or are the side effects of that even worse?)

Does anyone have some helpful advice on what I can do to help this "heal up"?

Cb75

Re: Fighting Neuropathy

Postby Cb75 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

My dad had numb fingers and toes. His natriopath recommended vitamin b 12 injections. He's now fine and believes that the injections helped.
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Liz,
I tried cymbalta and lyrica and they did not appear to help and I was actually getting panic attacks while on them. Since got off of them and mentally feeling better. The neuropathy appears to be at its worst and was doing so 3 months post chemo. I just went last Friday for my first accupuncure treatment. He said it would take about 6 treatments to see if I get relief. I will let everyone know as all it is costing me is my co pay.
Good luck,
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

lepperl
Facebook Username: slep22@gmail.com

Postby lepperl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:32 pm

I hope your neuropathy resolves. I don't know if this will help to make you feel better but I had horrible neuropathy from oxi. I had both kinds. Could not be near anything cold. Couldn't even look in the fridge for a second. Could not drink anything unless it was heated. Couldn't even turn pages of a book or button my own clothes.I also had trouble walking. It stuck around for about 2 and 1/2 weeks after last dose and it resolved. I hope yours does too.
8/11CRC Stage 4 Nodes KRAS+ Signet Cells
10/11xelox
irinotecan
Folfiri,avastin
10/12 xeloda,avastin
"It will be said that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, and surely it had not, she ajusted her sails" Liz Edwards

Liz=)

Postby Liz=) » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

lepperl wrote:I hope your neuropathy resolves. I don't know if this will help to make you feel better but I had horrible neuropathy from oxi. I had both kinds. Could not be near anything cold. Couldn't even look in the fridge for a second. Could not drink anything unless it was heated. Couldn't even turn pages of a book or button my own clothes.I also had trouble walking. It stuck around for about 2 and 1/2 weeks after last dose and it resolved. I hope yours does too.

Resolved is a very good word! I didn't want to do a roll call kinda thing because I'm thinking there are a lot of Stage II and IIIs out there who move on with their lives and don't look back... at least not on the CC board.

Well I did find out that the heat tx I'm doing is counterproductive to the hand/foot syndrome

waw4

Postby waw4 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

From what I've read, time is your most likely best healer.

E.g., some stats from the 2005 paper "Management of oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1661634/)

"In the MOSAIC study evaluating FOLFOX in the adjuvant treatment of colon cancer, the main side effect of FOLFOX4 was also the anticipated sensory neuropathy (Andre et al 2004). The overall incidence of grade 3 neurotoxicity was 12.4% and 18% among patients who received the entire planned 1020 mg/m2 dose of oxaliplatin. However, the neurotoxicity proved reversible in the vast majority of patients so that at 12 and 18 months after discontinuation of therapy only 1.1% and 0.5% of patients, respectively, had residual grade 3 neurotoxicity (Andre et al 2004).

In another study conducted by the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP C-07) and reported at American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2005) (Wolmark et al 2005), in which 2407 patients were randomized to either Roswell Park schedule 5FU-LV (500 mg/m2 of both given weekly for 6 weeks, followed by 2 weeks' rest for 3 cycles) versus the same 5FU-LV regimen and oxaliplatin (FLOX) (oxaliplatin at 85 mg/m2 every two weeks, but only on weeks 1, 3, and 5 of the 8-week cycle; cumulative dose 765 mg/m2). Seventy-three percent of patients received the planned oxaliplatin treatment. The regimen was tolerable as grade 3 and 4 toxicities were similar in the two arms (Grade 3/4–50%/10% FLOX vs 41%/9% 5FU-LV). Only 8% of patients experienced grade 3 neurotoxicity and this decreased to 0.5% of patients after 12 months (Wolmark et al 2005)."

I hope you're among the majority for whom the chronic neuropathy resolves itself!
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I have neuropathy to the point that it is very annoying but not yet painful. i am two years removed from oxi, and maybe JUST maybe, it has gotten a little better with time. I tried vitamin b shots and tablets, went to a neurologist and had an eeg (i think thats what it was called) I dont' recommend that eeg....very strange and kidnda painful. End result told me what I already knew, yup, I had neuropathy. Heard too many horror stories about lyrica and neurontin. Won't do that. Even got a prescription filled for neurontin but never took one!

Time is best remedy.

RM
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

lepperl
Facebook Username: slep22@gmail.com

Postby lepperl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Liz=) wrote:
lepperl wrote:I hope your neuropathy resolves. I don't know if this will help to make you feel better but I had horrible neuropathy from oxi. I had both kinds. Could not be near anything cold. Couldn't even look in the fridge for a second. Could not drink anything unless it was heated. Couldn't even turn pages of a book or button my own clothes.I also had trouble walking. It stuck around for about 2 and 1/2 weeks after last dose and it resolved. I hope yours does too.

Resolved is a very good word! I didn't want to do a roll call kinda thing because I'm thinking there are a lot of Stage II and IIIs out there who move on with their lives and don't look back... at least not on the CC board.

Well I did find out that the heat tx I'm doing is counterproductive to the hand/foot syndrome

This is not medical advise--just going to tell you what I do--- Aquaphor cream on hands and feet everyday and lots of lotion everywhere else. Maybe this will help so you can continue with what you are doing. I do not get hand and foot syndrome and this is what I do
8/11CRC Stage 4 Nodes KRAS+ Signet Cells
10/11xelox
irinotecan
Folfiri,avastin
10/12 xeloda,avastin
"It will be said that she stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, and surely it had not, she ajusted her sails" Liz Edwards

soccermom

Postby soccermom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

I justinished my 12 treatments at the end of June. I made it through 9 treatments with the oxaliplatin but the neuropathy was just starting and the onc pulled it very quick. Well it has gotten so much worse that my fingers and feet are always numb and tingling. I too am hoping it will get better. My onc says it gets worse before it gets better. I can't stand the feeling!!
Stage 2A colon cancer
T3 N0 M0
0/21 lymph nodes
Jan 2012 to June 2012 Folfox
9 rounds of oxi

brigita

Postby brigita » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:43 am

I've had Oxi neuropathy for nearly four years (fingertips but mostly feet & legs). I've tried just about everything under the sun to no avail, so the best advice I can give is what my onc told me: I'll get better...unless it doesn't. :roll:
Stage III rectal @ 33, 4.5mo postpartum
Ovary transpo: 12/07
33 tx rad+Xeloda: 2/08
Lap LAR 0/11 +nodes: 3/08
8 FOLFOX tx: 8/08
Ileo reversal: 9/08
CIPN since 10/08
Normal uterus + lame ovaries = infertile
26.2 11/13
http://mycancerdeployment.blogspot.com

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:20 am

I am just about 4 yrs out from treatment and I must fall into the small percentile. Although much improved from 2008, still a problem. Hands way better, only totally numb on tips. Cannot feel anything. No pain. Feet, totally numb still (cannot walk barefoot, or wear flip flops) and now some heel pain due to a broken foot and walking in a boot for 6 weeks a few months ago. The heel is pain, but feels very neuropathy like, as it is not a consistent pain, but a tingly pain. Depending on how I sleep, the pressure of the mattress against it, is so much pressure that I can get out of bed and put no weight on it for the first step, and then by the 2nd and 3rd it is a little better. It is painful. I go in Aug for my 4 month BW and have to talk about it with Onc. A little nervous, as I had an elevated CEA in April Blood work, but had just broken the foot 3 days prior and was on lots of pain meds. Also had a bad mamo within that time, that resulted in a month of stress consisting of ultrasound, surgeon visit, and stereo biopsy in the hospital (while in the broken foot boot), and it seemed to be ok, but just some funky stuff happening with me lately. I do not take anything for neuropathy, but with this pain, might ask about some relief!!

ONWARD!!!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

beth568

Postby beth568 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 am

I think this is a highly variable thing among individuals. The cold sensitivity that comes with FOLFOX disappears relatively quickly for most people. Peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet can linger for a while, and there's really no way to "cure" it. It's the result of nerve damage, and sometimes those nerves will regenerate, sometimes they won't.

Time does help in most cases. I'm about 9 months from my last chemo infusion, and my feet are still quite numb, but my hands have improved (my onc says that this is a typical pattern, and that for some reason feet seem to be slower to change, if they change at all).

Some people do get relief from neuropathic *pain* with neurontin, Lyrica, or other drugs. But those meds can't address the tingling/numbness that most of us feel. It's just a waiting game. And in the meantime, you learn to function with the weird feeling.

Good luck finishing up chemo! It's a nice milestone.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

kimmercans
Facebook Username: kimschlagel@msn.com

Postby kimmercans » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 am

There is a new medical food (by prescription only) called Metanx. It is specifically for neuropathy. It is a combination of l-methyl-folate and vitamin B6. I have prescribed it to a few of my patients with neuropathy and it seems to provide significant relief.

Best of life:),
Kim
Kimberly Age 54 Diagnosed at 44
Dx'd rectal ca 10/12/09
LAR,TME 10/14/2009 Stage 2a
Opted out of Folfox.
4/19/12 CT scan clear NED CEA<0.5
10/2019 still NED
Taking curcumin, Celebrex, vitamin d, digestive enzymes, bio identical hormone replacement.
2015 to present. Stopped all surveillance. Living life one glorious day at a time.

Coppercent

Postby Coppercent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:12 am

I used Metanx through treatment and it worked really well for the neuropathy from the Oxi. I never had symptoms for Neuropathy and now that I have finished treatment I am still free from any symptoms. Good luck!
07/15/11 Stage III Rectal, 08/11 - 09/11 Chemo/rad 11/11 LAR - Whole rectum gone, ostomy, hysterectomy
01/12 Port placed, 01/12 thru 06/12 Folfox, Xelox 10/03/12 Reversal, Clear scan
And then the story continues.
Currently, remission round two!

SMR

Re: Fighting Neuropathy- metanx question

Postby SMR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:28 pm

A question for those who mentioned metanx. I was under the impression that it could not be taken with FOLFOX or FOLFIRI because it has folic acid in it. Any thoughts/advice on that? DH didn't get it for that reason, but my dad uses it for diabetic neuropathy and says it works well. Also, if onc would ok it any idea if it may help reverse the symptoms or whether it needs to be taken from the start to avoid symptoms in the first place?

THANKS!!

Edited for misspelling!
DH DX 10/11 st IV unkown prmry
FFOX 12/11
HIPEC 3/12
FFOX 5/12
7/12 FFIRI
12/12 xeloda
1/13 resection
2/13 FFIRI
4/13 5FU/Avastin
9/13 recurrence, failed surgery