New!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: New!

Postby dianetavegia » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi again, Jen. Since you had lymph nodes involved, you are at least Stage III. FOLFOX is THE treatment for Stage III. I was dx'd at 58 and did quite well through FOLFOX. I don't think your diet will be affected. Actually, I was told immediately to give up red meats forever since that is contraindicated for a healthy colon.

Have you gotten the results of your CT scan yet?

Please keep a positive outlook! I was Stage III for 38 months before a small spot grew on my liver. I just had my liver resection and did not need follow up chemo. I'm 3 1/2 years out from diagnosis and feel awesome (except for some tenderness where I had the liver surgery incision).

BTW... MOST people never have a 2nd colon resection. Were you tested for FAP or other genetic / hereditary conditions or KRAS. These results will be helpful in your doctors choice of treatment but FOLFOX IS the creme de la creme for Stage III as of today.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Jen,
Sorry that you had to find this club but it truly is the best thing on the Internet for people in our shoes. With the lymph node involvement, you'll be doing chemo but you will get through it and do fine. Any questions you have, you will get great input here. This disease does suck and so does t
He chemo but it has to be done. You are so young and seem to have such a great attitude. That will get you a long way. Please keep in touch and ask away/vent, or whatever you need to do.

Your onc makes a lot of money so every little thing you feel, call them anytime and run it by them. We are not docs but can ease your mind about expectations. Try to stay away form Dr google. The information on there is not up to date and there is so much more that has come along to help us. There are many great minds on here that have been down your path and can help allay your fears.
Good luck
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

Seriously, WTF?

Postby Seriously, WTF? » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Welcome aboard this crazy train where you will find an enormous amount of love and support! xoxo
ALWAYS IN MY HEART!
5/7/2013

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Cb75 wrote:I was recently diagnosed with stage iv at the age of 36. It is amazing to me to see so many young people with this. I have not started chemo yet as I am waiting for liver resection surgery, but have been told that when I do start it will be with FOLFOX. As for side effects, everyone is different. My dad was diagnosed just over three years ago with stage three, similar to you and did six months of FOLFOX. His side effects weren't too bad, just some constipation, weight loss and a bit of nub ness in his fingers and toes. He is now cancer free and his doctors consider him 'cured'. As for your concerns about fertility, you can have your eggs frozen to be used later. I recommend you look into this if you want to have kids at some point. I have one child and have decided not tomlookmintomways to preserve my fertility.

I have to ditto this about his father's side effects, and possible fertility issues. Of course you need to talk to medical professionals, about the fertility situation. I had very little problem with FOLFOX. I had 9 treatments, and only had a little fatigue, and some cold sensitivity in my hands, oh and first bite pain, a minor inconvienience. Most people are not able to drink cold beverages for a few days after treatment. I did not experience this problem. As you yourself have already said, everyone is different. I did have a reaction to one component of FOLFOX, but that was allieviated on subsequent treatments, with benedryl. Good luck on your journey, and keep an open mind. Stay away from Dr. Google.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 pm

jnfrmbrwn wrote:Thank you so much for your support! So glad I found this forum with so many great people.

I spoke with my surgeon this morning and received some results from the surgery - 5 lymph nodes tested positive and he is strongly insisting chemo. I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow to discuss in more detail.

When I was first diagnosed my oncologist explained that if chemo was needed it would most likely be FOLFOX. I was wondering if anyone has tried any other forms of chemo or alternative methods or you have used FOLFOX and liked it? This is all so overwhelming and of course the internet only shows what you don't want to hear! DId some research and not too thrilled about the side effects - mostly the chance of becoming infertile. Of course everyone reacts differently, I am just seeing the worst right now. Also concerned about how it will effect my eating habits as I am vegan & would prefer not to change my diet. At the end of the day I'll do whatever needs to be done, just trying to see all options!

Many thanks! ;-)

Very sorry you are joining us, and you're so young. Sorry, I just can't get over that. About the chemo/infertility. There is some evidence that being on Lupron (a GNRH Analogue, your gynaecologist will know all about it) may protect your ovaries during chemo. Essentially it puts you in temporary menopause, the ovaries become dormant. As chemo largely affects dividing cells, this approach may protect your fertility. Good luck.

Here's a link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2858300/
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I lost about 75-60% of my hair , but thinning , no clumps. The best part is that now I have mid back beautiful long body wave curls that people would pay lots of money for!!
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

suzcoates@comcast.net

Postby suzcoates@comcast.net » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Welcome...I am new too and I wish you tons of luck.

AudreyM

Postby AudreyM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 am

Welcome - I'm new too! Waiting on my surgery date, just have to finish all the pre-op stuff. Just think - in a real short time you will have this behind you and you will be telling the other newbies BTDT!

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 am

Sorry you had to come here, but glad you have found this site. It is a great place to find others that have gone through everything you are going through...so we get it, and sometimes that is what you really need.

The next 6 months will be challenging, but doable. Remember to always tell your docs what your side effects are, because they can and do tweak the dosage to help control things better. I also worked with a nutritionist and he was great, esp since I had an ileo, so there were other considerations to think about.

Take advantage of any offers of help....have a list ready at all tiems so when someone says what can I do to help...you have something to tell them. It might be take your cat to the vet, pick up some groceries or make you a couple of meals you can freeze. Many of us were very sensitive to smells while doing chemo, so it might be nice to have someone cook for you outside of your home.

Drink lots...room temperature at least part of the time. If you become dehydrated it tends to make everything feel worse.

Come her often...someone is almost always here...and we get it...

Be kind to yourself....
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

Mona
Facebook Username: maria kucharek

Postby Mona » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Jen,
I am so sorry about your dx. This is a great forum, a lot of good people with a lot of information.
I am from Staten Island, please PM me if you need any help.Wwe can even talk.
Maria
At age 46 DX 7/21/10 Stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.
8/10 Folfox 6 tx
11/10 Colon/liver resection 1/29 nodes
12/10 Folfox 6 tx, NED
3/11 chemo done
11/11 recurance liver
12/11 liver resection/Hai pump
01/12-07/12 Fudor/Folfiri

MissM
Facebook Username: missmtravelstheworld

Postby MissM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am

I was diagnosed at 28. I'm sorry that you got this awful disease especially so young. Feel free to PM me if you feel like talking to someone although I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday so I may be out for a while.
1/8/12 Given a year left to live
8/30/12-12/18/12 Irinotecan & Vectibix
7/25/12 Ovaries Removed
6/28/12 Liver Resection
12/16/11 Colostomy Closure
6/26/11-11/10/11 FOLFOX
5/09/11 Colon Resection & Colostomy
4/29/11 Stage IIIC T4N2B @28 Years Old

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 am

Sorry you are here but welcome and unfortunately, there are many other young people on here who can share your journey. All of us, will too, of course.
Daughter of loving dad, dx Stage IIIC Mar 10
Resect Apr 10. 1 lymph nodes positive
Heart history has ruled out treatments
NED to date!

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 am

Hi Jen, welcome but sorry you're here! Talk to your Onc about fertility concerns, they should be able to advise you on the best way to manage it. I had RT, so different to you (rectal ca so had chemo and RT pre surgery). The RT put me straight into menopause, some women go into menopause from FOLFOX, some don't. From what I've read some have had their periods return some time after treatment. I personally had ovarian tissue harvested. I chose thus option as it was quick and therefore would not have delayed my treatment. So I can have the ovarian tissue put back in to reverse menopause when both my doctors and I are comfortable I have been disease free for a decent enough period of time.

Being a stage III patient like you I fully recommend having chemo, you're young and have your whole life ahead of you! Throw everything at this stupid cancer, do everything you can to ensure it doesn't come back. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions about fertility stuff, I'm more than happy to share my opinions and my story.

Best of luck as you fight the beast.

Georgie
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

lcook6
Facebook Username: lisavangalensewell

Postby lcook6 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Sorry about your news. I have been a member of this club since May that is when my sister was diagnosed and this club has been supportive and knowledgable in every aspect of this disease. I wish you the best and prayers for you and your family.

Lisa
sister dx stage IV rectal cancer with tumor to liver 5cm age 41
dx May 10, 2012
on folfox with avastin and celebrex
July 11, 12 CT Scan tumors in the liver 20% shrinkage
continuing FOLFOX, celebrex
finished radiation/xeloda 11/23/2012 28 treatments

jnfrmbrwn
Facebook Username: http://www.facebook.com/jnfrmbrwn

Postby jnfrmbrwn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Thank you so much for your replies! Everyone is so helpful & it feels great to know that there are others out there who have experienced this & can relate.

I'll be starting chemo on August 15th - any suggestions on things to do before hand? I read going to the dentist was a good idea, making some meals to freeze, etc but I'm sure I'm missing a lot! Also trying to gain weight since I lost a lot since my surgery. (If there are any posts that already talk about this, no need to respond! I'll poke around the site for a bit.)

:D
26 yr, F
Stage III CC 5+ lymph nodes
July 9 2012 - colon resection
August 15 2012 - starting FOLFOX
NED since Feb 2013!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”