radiation and menopause

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cynnycal

radiation and menopause

Postby cynnycal » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 am

so now in addition to chemo they say i have to get radiation.
this will automatically 100% guaranteed put me into menopause? I'm only 25!
I have to take estrogen for the rest of my life?
isn't hormone replacement therapy sketchy? possible cancer causing?
there's no way around the menopause hm? Doesn't reverse later on?
man. this all sucks. ass.

sue

menapause

Postby sue » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:17 am

Cyn,
I have heard of people in this situation who freeze their eggs. It is probably expensive, but it would be worth looking into. There is a post on here somewhere about it. My heart goes out to you.
Actually there was something in the paper yesterday about a new study on pre-menapausal women who had medically induced menapause and it showed that the ill effects of estrogen therepy given to post menapausal women don't seem to apply. It just stressed that progesterone needs to be given in conjunction with the estrogen. Maybe if you googled the topic you would find some more info on it.

Good Luck with your treatment. Sue

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:04 pm

well, oddly enough it's not the thought of not being able to have children that bothers me the most. i never really wanted kids (though none of my doctors will allow me to think i've made that decision, they think i'm too young..but waaaay before i ever had this problem i never really wanted kids)
it's more the menopausal side effects that worry me. osteoperosis and such....
just not being normal. that is what is bothering lately. i don't think i'll bother with freezing my eggs b/c i have FAP, and it's genetic. I know its about a 50% chance i'll pass it on to my kids and it can be detected very early and if the child had it, can be dealt with easier than my situation (before it gets cancerous that is) BUT i just dont' really feel like i want to risk passing this on.
i just don't want to add being menopausal to the list of things now wrong with me. as if the thought of living my life with a bag isn't bad enough.

Freezing Ovaries

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:38 pm

I believe that the ovaries are removed and frozen then replaced after radiation, thus preventing menopause.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:45 pm

uumm...none of the doctors mentioned that.
i guess i can ask though

susanz

radiation and menopause

Postby susanz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:00 am

hi,

my daughter was dx with stage 3 rectal cancer 1 year ago at the age of 22. during her surgery, her surgeon tucked her ovaries up and out of the way and put metal clips on them. that enabled the radiation oncologist to see exactly where they were located when she had her pre-radiation work up. the doctors spent alot of time doing their best to protect the ovaries from the radiation. only time will tell if they succeeded. we were told that it can take a year for her system to return to normal. we hope for the best. good luck to you as you begin your journey. this is a wonderful site full of caring and supportive people with lots of useful information.

by the way, my daughter has endured a bad infection, chemo, surgery, radiation and more chemo. she has, somehow, still managed to keep up with her classes and will be graduating on may 18th with a degree in biomedical engineering! her last treatment is may 22nd. again, best of luck to you. this is a big bump in the road but you will get through it! susan

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:19 am

Thank you susuan...it is always nice to hear you're not alone.
unfortunately i'll be having radiation BEFORE the surgery, so there isn't the option to push the ovaries out of the way.
i guess i'm just stuck. but yes, i'm sure life will eventually....one day...get back to normal.
like i mentioned in my other post about j-pouches i just really hope that 'normal' will include the only things i love in life. which i'm fearful after surgery it won't.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Even if you aren't ready for surgery to remove the tumor, they can still do the surgery to tuck your ovaries out of the way. It is a separate surgery - although your insurance may not pay for it and it doesn't always work (sometimes the ovaries "fall" back down into the path of the radiation), but you should at least have the option.

Be sure to check out the Figg Tree Foundation at www.figgtree.com - Tammy Figg is a rectal cancer survivor and Miss October in the 2005 Colondar. She knew that she wanted to have kids, and had her eggs preserved. Although that is not your intention, I think she could help guide you through this.

And you are right - this does, in fact, suck ass!

:)Hannah

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks Hannah. I too had radiation and went into menopause. I am and always will be menopausal, and only 31. I had stage 3 Rectal Cancer and opted to have radiation, and did preserve my eggs and now have a beautiful son, Ayden.
I will tell you that menopause is not fun, but doable. I have night sweats, mood swings, and no periods. So all and all it's tolerable, hey the no periods I love. All can be managable by estrogen, be sure though that you also take projestrone, it's the estrogen alone that can have cancer effects down the road, and the projestrone balances it out. I have been on that regimn since finishing treatment. I had a bone density scan and my bones are strong, so if you feel you want to do that you should, the bone scan, that is what they do to test for osteoporsis. Having raidation is a hard decsion for some for me not so. If they say I had to eat octopus to prevent this from coming back I would of done it. I had my ovaries pinned up and they fell back into place so at times you cannot always count on that option either to preserve your fertility. I am here if you have questions. My website is www.figgtree.com
Tammy

melissa

Postby melissa » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:46 am

I was diagnosed with stage III rectal CA at 21 years old back in 1989. Believe it or not that was ages ago in medical advancement times. At that time freezing eggs wasn't really an option but I did have my ovary (one was removed at time of surgery due to polyps that were later found to be benign) tacked up but it fell down & was pretty much worthless. I was young and children weren't as big of an issue to me as actually living to see my 22nd birthday so I wasn't too upset. I agree with Tammy, I would have done just about anything to make sure I was healthy again so radiation was not a concern for me. I did visit with a gynecological oncologist before my treatments just to look at all my options. Maybe this is a possibility for you as well.

I was 21 and in menopause...go figure. I take hormones and have for years - not really a big deal. And every couple of years I get a bone density scan to make sure I don't have problems with osteoporosis & so far so good.

Make sure you find a doctor to help you manage this that you feel comfortable with & is capable of dealing with any issues you may have. My gyn is amazing and very supportive of any issues I have surrounding menopause even though I'm not her typical patient.

And if you are unable to have children and some day want to, there's always the option of adoption...

Again, if you want to talk more, my e0mail is mstahl_6@msn.com.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”