Chemo finally getting to the taste buds

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Chemo finally getting to the taste buds

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I remember this from oxi, but until recently, it hasn't been an issue with the Irinotecan. But food is starting to lose its taste, and as the day wears on, I develop this kind of vague, but persistent, chalky taste in my mouth. Anything like a Tums or lemon drop takes it right away, as does eating or drinking (tasteless) food or drink. I'm also starting to crave salty/rich/sweet stuff. I think I'm going to ask my wife to buy some pickled herring this evening. That sounds pretty darn good!

Round 8 (of 12) this coming Monday. So I'm gettin' there--with or without my taste buds.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Ashlee H.

Re: Chemo finally getting to the taste buds

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm

I hate that part of FOLFIRI - I was always eating to get the taste out of my mouth. I ate a lot of lemon yogurt and peppermints (not together). There is also a peppermint water that helps. I've never been a gum chewer, but it helped. I was also salting everything, something I normally don't do. I found I'd get the leg cramps so would do the suggested pickle (juice) which seemed to help. I've been on a chemo break for about two months now...and I'm just starting to get back to normal taste buds. I still munch on the peppermints though.

-Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Hate to hear this will probably come up for me later, BB. Major bummer for us both! Luckily, I still have lemon drops in the house and I know that will help.
Glad you mentioned the cravings as this explains why, while I've been in Iri, I've craved Cheetoes, BBQ Lays as well as sweet stuff. It's playing havoc on my weight!!
Tomorrow is treatment #4 of the Erbi and treatment #2 of the larger Iri dosage. Gonna be a lonnnnnnnnnnggggg day... Oh well, at least I'll be in air conditioning (or as my son describes it "Outer Siberia"). :mrgreen:
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Funny (not) how just thinking about the infusion center makes me want to throw up. I remember that from my time on Xelox as well. It eventually goes away, and you can return to the place without having to retch into the potted plant in the lobby.

Happily, my sense of smell remains more or less intact, though I guess that's probably the next thing to go.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Postby juliej » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Ugh. I remember this from Oxaliplatin. Everything tasted like one of two things: cardboard or paper. Oatmeal, my favorite breakfast food, tasted like shredded paper. There were plenty of times I forced myself to eat, just to keep my weight up. Eating salty/spicy foods helps some. Bobs Sweet Stripes Soft Peppermint Balls (available at most grocery and drug stores) helps too. And, when you're done with chemo, the moment your taste buds come back online is an almost mystical experience. Nothing tastes as good as that first tomato!

Good luck on your CT scan and round 8! I've got basically two months to go. It feels good to be closing in on the finish line even if the side-effects are getting worse.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Ahh pickled herring! I remember the days when I was young, this was the treat on New Years eve! Must be the swede in me. Eric I hope this gets your tastebuds in order :shock:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 pm

justin case wrote:Ahh pickled herring!

Oh yeah, Baby, it's as good as you remembered. It's better than I remembered. My dad always had some around when I was a kid, and I reacquired a taste for it as an adult visiting Sweden, where it's generally eaten for breakfast. Sign me up!

Julie--one of the first posts I ever read here featured some guy saying that on oxi, everything tastes like soda crackers. It kinda did during Oxi. Now, everything just kind of tastes like cardboard is the main ingredient. Except them herring, of course. They're great!
Eric, 58

fcancerIsay

Postby fcancerIsay » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 pm

I, too, had a terrible time with Oxi ruining my taste buds and after 10 or 11 rounds (lost count after a while), I was in tears over nothing tasting right. It got so bad that I was not able to remember when food had tasted good! Anyway, I am not sure if this is helpful to you, but while on the oxi I also craved sweet things such as apple pie which tasted somewhat "normal" to me; Snapple Ice Tea (could not drink enough and bought cases of it!); all-fruit popsicles (except when the cold temperature became a problem); and I never left home without a bag of Vitamin C losenges (Halls or Vicks, I think). Pancakes with organic blueberries were something that didn't taste too "off" and at least helped me to keep some weight on. And, someone mentioned to me that they found that vinegar was helpful. Maybe that was the reason that I was choosing Balsamic Vinegar or a Raspberry Vinaigrette on salads -- it did seem to somewhat neutralize the chemo taste. Fortunately, once off the oxi, my tastebuds returned to the point that food has never tasted better and I then tried to "bulk up" in preparation for future rounds of oxi. My oncologist is now hinting that I may want to slow down the eating a bit or I will need a new wardrobe. Geeeeee.
Diag. 6/11 Stage IV CC, Mult. Mets to liver, Nodes
Full Hysterectomy due to CC 8/12
Chemo 6/11 - 2/13
Clinical T Cell Trial 3/13
Onc says "Chemo for Life", but I say "NED One Day" :)
F Cancer I Say!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for the snack tips, fcancer. I like vinegar, too.

It's strange because my appetite since beginning chemo is only "fair" on balance, so I haven't been able to gain back the 7-10 pounds that I'd like, mainly because I can't eat enough. However, I do get strange cravings and "crazy hungry" a couple of times a day, when I can't wait to eat something. But then it doesn't taste the way I'd hoped, and I get full too quickly, too, so it's kind of hit and miss. Actually, it's acting more like the opposite end of my digestive tract, come to think of it. That's not really good.
Eric, 58

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm

BrownBagger wrote:Funny (not) how just thinking about the infusion center makes me want to throw up. I remember that from my time on Xelox as well. It eventually goes away, and you can return to the place without having to retch into the potted plant in the lobby.

Happily, my sense of smell remains more or less intact, though I guess that's probably the next thing to go.

I have made friends with the onc and infusion nurses so going to the center doesn't bother me so much.

I'm surprised with your tastes already changing that your sense of smell isn't in the same shape! When I was on Oxaliplatin, so many tasted or smelled like poop or what I thought poop would taste like. Whew! I figured out how to say that without the "s" word. Good on me! :wink:
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:12 pm

My tastebuds went on vacation after treatment #2 of Folfox this time around. I just had my 6th treatment today and look forward to them coming back when I finish the 12 rounds. Water and lemonade tend to be my drinks of choice. Something about those lemons this time around. Most foods are flavorless or close to it right now. Chinese and Mexican dishes tend to hold the most "flavor" for me so far. And yes...I also crave sweets and use the salt shaker with a heavier hand right now. It's just a whole lot of trial and error on what tastes good and what doesn't. One thing I found interesting for me this time was that all soft drinks went bitter tasting on me after the 1st treatment. Needless to say....don't bother drinking them anymore.

Angie
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I feel you man. The taste bud thing was by far the most annoying side effect of oxali, and it was there from like round 2 on. I craved mexican and indian. Fish made me nauseous, and I can only imagine the wonder of thinking about pickled herring :shock: :shock:
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:58 am

I just wonder whether you'll be switching from pickle juice, to herring juice B.B. I imagine it might be a tad more expensive :roll:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

helen098

Postby helen098 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 am

I did my chemo in the onc office and I still feel kind of queezy when I walk in even if I am not the patient. :D
The lack of taste along with the cols sensitivity was quite a challenge……my junk food of choice was dried pineapple and this cinnamon pastry, warm lemonade vitamin water –sometimes together but I had to be careful if I ate too much of me “junk food” couldn’t get any real food down now the though of them makes me ill ….. the first glass of lemonade, pie, fresh roll are beyond good……though once food tasted normal (for me anyway) it may have tasted too good (see my many weight issues posts)………while food tastes real good I find something (mostly meat) does not taste exactly as I remember ,….

During chemo I had many X-rated dreams, some about ice cream…..(definately for another post) :lol:
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 am

Unfortunately I get both the lack of taste thing going and try "tasty" food and find that the mouth sores my chemo gives me stops even that. I am living mostly on yogurt and green smoothies (thanks to my Vitamix)and still maintain a healthy weight. Pickled herring and the kind in that cream sauce both sound great and so do sardines. Thanks BB I have something else taste wise to try.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear