Question about Diahrea

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Question about Diahrea

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Hey Everyone,

I had a total colectomy on 2/16 (male, 35 yrs) it was stage 3 w/ 4 positive nodes out of 48. but no other spreading. i had a bag for about 6 weeks, then had it taken down 2 weeks ago today.

Question: now i'm dealing w/ diharea; this is perhaps just as frustrating as the bag was. if it's not itching, it's burning, if it's not burning, then i'm going 20 times a day. (literally)

...which leads to itching and burning. Ugh i am just so frustrated. have you had this problem yet? if so what are you doing about it? i am at wits end. i feel like half a father and half a husband due to the time i spend in the bathroom. i have prescription medication for the diahrea, but it works a little "too" good. there doesn;t seem to be a middle ground.

any input you have is much appreciated.

-phil in az

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:21 am

Phil,

How is Arizona? Ah to be in Scottsdale right now! About the diahrrea, definitely can relate. Though I did not have a total removal of my bowel nor a colostomy, for months post my surgery I was in depends. Now how many 30 years can add that to their resume, Ugh very frustrating. Much of it was explained to be that my body was in shock and adjusting but did not change the fact that I was having such a messy ordeal on my hands. Have you tried lomotil? It worked for me. Do remember that the purpose of the colon is to absorb fluid and having less of one will cause you and us to have softer stools, period. I hope that you find a peaceful resolve. Hang in there you can do this!

Hugs!

Holly

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:06 am

holly,

az is great. it was 96 today here where i live.

anyway, yes the doc prescribed lomotil for me which does work, but like i said - a little too good. almost to the point of constipation where i sit on the pot for longer periods of time. this is murder on my rear because it seems that i can almost feel the hemmroids forming.

so i go back n forth between diahrea and near constipation. the doc says that this is just part of the development of my small intestine and J-pouch, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

thanks for your input.

-phil

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:18 am

Phil,

You are correct. Lomotil, as small as the pill is, works. I do hope that you find a resolution to this. Hey, don't forget to smile! As I was reading your reponse, I was giggling. Could be one of a couple things: Funny, Or I am sleep deprived. You choose I am all about choices!

Be well and send some sunshine my way!

Hugs!

Holly

kevinlv

glutamine

Postby kevinlv » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:50 pm

I have been taking glutamine short chain amino acids for the diarehea in additon to imodium. It seems to be helping. They also make a product called sympt gi that is a glutamine supplentment make by baxter healtcare it is helpful also.

Kevin
kevinlv
Keep Strong, Keep Hope

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”