Bill5107 home and pain free!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
edinaman

Re: Bill5107 home and pain free!

Postby edinaman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 am

Bill, I'm glad they got the pain under control. It's easier said than done sometimes, but don't push it. Take care of yourself and stay painfree.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:50 am

I haven't been on the board much, but just read your post and glad you are home now, Bill, and the pain is under control. Try and take it easy...that is important!

Hugs,
-Nanette
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am

Bill,
Glad you are home and pain free. ALWAYS good to hear from you. You have a way with words and a great attitude.
Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Gaelen wrote:Bill, having just lived through my own most (to date) excruciating trip to interventional rad Monday, PLEASE just freakin' ask, the fat is, there may be a liveable solution out there you just haven't thought of. You don't need to break yourself further! And please don't try to out think your docs on pain meds and which activities will be too much!

Bill5107 wrote:I hate to admit it, but the almost week of forced bedrest really did do me wonders too. I was resting a lot at home before, but it's a whole different class of resting in the big house, isn't it? I really was fine going with the flow for the first 4 days. I slept when I could. I did avoid napping a couple times to enjoy visitors, but I knew that was a win/loose in many ways, unfortunately.
...Well, seems I'm restricted now..no driving (for now or ever now, unsure), no swimming let alone any jostling...apparently I'm actually more fagile than I have any idea about. . ., so no other physical things like biking/climbing etc... Also no overnight stays...I think I could talk them into that one, as my hammock is quite comfortable, but honestly, I don't think it buys me anything. If it does, I'll re-ask.
...Anyway, I've been faced with a bunch of "don't"s. I am ok with that so long as I can still find the things I can do. There is plenty, just takes getting re-adjusted. I'm feeling pretty good now so I hope to be able to spend a few hours a day at camp at least. Well, it's a real long haul to camp, so perhaps not every day. I do want to stay involved as I will be scoutmaster for some time longer it seems. I do wonder as time goes on just when I need to pull the plug. Of course I don't want to, I love the role. I want to do it properly though too. . . I want to be sure we do that before it becomes an issue. I try to be super honest with my kids, but the truth also is that I don't want the truth to get too hard before parting from the role.

Girl scout leaders teach planning. Improvisation. Common sense. They put up obstacles and teach/encourage their scouts to think things through...sitting still. Ain't nothin' wrong with THAT skill set, may not be as much "bully yourself down the mountain" as "hands-on problem-solving" but the problem solving practice could get the a job some day!

I know you'll make the right choices, Bill. Strong thoughts ;).

Ahhh... It took me a minute to catch on here I think Gaelen. I know I have to think through all I do and plan to do...I cannot just listen to my body and "push for the gold" anymore. That has been a loosing strategy since January this year. There's plenty to teach from the perspective of planning and coping with real limits and liabilities though and a scoutmaster certainly needs to bring that to the table...but as I re-read what I put above, I sure gave it short srhift, didnt I?

Anyway, I probably still missed your mark a bit, but perhaps it's good to have a bit of disonance to keep me thinking about a better perspective/reaction.

AS up as I might sound, I find by evening I have accumulated a bit of residual resentments from the day that unfortunately are ready to be heard about the time my wife comes home. . . She's truly wonderful but that's quite tough to work though, so we're both coming to terms with it. Mostly being home a while helps, since at first I was just talking because someone was THERE for cryin' out loud! lol. I'm eventually going to settle back into near routine.

The funny thing is I just realized I will only put in a few day s work but also already put in a full week vacation on my schedule for next week. . . I'm not sure whether I'll change that or not lol. I will probalby work minimal hours just to smooth things over, but I can use it as an extended break and recovery and cushion while I face this nasty radiation. It really is already making my throat sore and for some reasons I get random hiccups that hurt like an SOB on the sore lower throat! Ugh...Who ever thought of sunburning us from the inside out? Boy, I'd like to . . . shake his hand! ;-)
2010-07-02 Dx rectal cancer (Stage 3)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
'-10-13 APR surgery, 10/18 nodes still active
'-11-22 12x2wk rnds FOLFOX
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

I think you have some good advice there buddy.
Keepin' on, keeping ON is a plan.. to an extent... but you've also gotta keep it real, all the time, I think.

Once heard a lecture by someone who dealt with severe psychiatric/emotional/physical abuse patients. He said " sometimes we cannot give them what they need.. for now we can only give them what they can handle, one step at a time."
Here's to taking the wins where we find them and taking the steps we can handle.

Sending huge posi++++ vibes your way.
Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

clarabelle64
Facebook Username: claire beaumont

Postby clarabelle64 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Glad things are on the imptove for you Bill....
Clarabelle
Clarabelle, Mother of Deborah who has CC with mets to liver + lungs.
Has been on Folfiri then 5FU + Oxi
Lung Mets progressed
Currently on Intravenous Vit C + diet + supplements
My darling girl passed away 18.8.2011

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 pm

CRguy wrote:Once heard a lecture by someone who dealt with severe psychiatric/emotional/physical abuse patients.

HE'S COMPARING ME TO MENTAL PATIENTS AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT? :shock:

Heh... there's actually a lot sense to what you refer CRguy. I'm definitely up against a mental game many ways of my own devising right now. It's all good though. I do need to arrange for my rides for next week still, I'll feel better once I get a few of those ironed out I think. It'll be a little crazy to bring my hammock to rest in the day a lot so I can recover form radiation, but then I should be able to visit in the early through late evening with the troop. That's when most of the fun and work in our troop happens anyway. The individual skills bonding and such happens all day, but the catch-up with the leaders and understanding the kids happens for us most often in their down-time ;-)

I might even be able to contribute something meaningful to the conversations for next year's leadership this way too.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Bill5107 wrote:HE'S COMPARING ME TO MENTAL PATIENTS AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT? :shock:

Well I do recall YOU telling me I was an "acquired taste" at one point buddy ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

True tho' Bill, if we on this Journey have not been faced with psychological, emotional and physical challenges .... I guess I don't know who has.

Stayin' strong
Cheers !
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

jorusi63

Postby jorusi63 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm

You two are cracking me up, lol.

Glad to hear that you're home Bill and even gladder to hear that your pain is under control. What a blessing :) and I am truly happy for you my friend.

Jonell
hubby dx CC IV 1/08, 48
mets - liver, peritoneum, spleen - 12 rds Folfox + Av.
4/09 5FU + Av.
12/09 Spleen out NED
9/10 liver mets, 5FU + Av
4/11 + rib Mets Rad
Folfox + Av, switched to Folfri
ribs out 3/12
Rad 4/12
7/12 chemo not working
Passed 9/18/12

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Bill5107 wrote:HE'S COMPARING ME TO MENTAL PATIENTS AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT?

Yeah, but he's the Mayor of Weirdsville, so he can.

I think we're all mental patients to some degree. We're all patients, that's for sure. And we're all subject to extreme mental stress, that's another fershure.

I think you've been handling it really well, Bill, but you're a quality guy, so that's not unexpected. Along with all your other contributions to this board, you're showing me a thing or two about coping, mainly because you're honest enough to be honest about your feelings.

Thanks for that.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Woohoo! I'm so glad you're home and your pain is being managed correctly. I'm praying that continues.

I can really identify with talking 90 miles an hour when your Lois gets home. Bless my Gary's heart, I do the same thing for him. If it wasn't for this board, he'd hear a lot more!

Please go easy on yourself.

My best to Lois and you're both in my prayers daily ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm

BrownBagger wrote:Thanks for that.

I'm humbled by that BB and you are more than welcome.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I can't believe my son wanted to stay up for Austin Powers. . . and we let him 8-o It's almost over though lol.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Bill......thanks for the update. I am so glad that you are home and pain free. I am with Gaelen and Brownbagger on their advice. Take it easy and don't push too hard.

Angie
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 am

Bill5107 wrote:
CRguy wrote:Once heard a lecture by someone who dealt with severe psychiatric/emotional/physical abuse patients.

HE'S COMPARING ME TO MENTAL PATIENTS AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT? :shock:

And I'm both quoting him - and agreeing with him - which hasn't happened since around 2008. A serious rarity. :shock: :roll:

One thing - I discovered the ambulette, a kind of tamed, scaled down ambulance with a gurney. MUCH more solid and comfy ride to camp than any personal vehicle w/o a pro driver. Also they could deliver you to camp, and if you pitched it right, might be willing to hang around for a 1st aid teaching moment. Putting up your hammock - teaching moment, you get the idea.)

Bill5107 wrote:I might even be able to contribute something meaningful to the conversations for next year's leadership this way too.

You might. Think outside the manual, and make your visit a simple teaching moment.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

TheBurn

Postby TheBurn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 am

Bill, my friend, I've been sporadically on the board the last couple of weeks, and apparently missed your goings on although checking on your status was one of my goals. Sorry that you've been having difficult times. You do seem to have maintained the attitude we've all come to know and love. Just keep on being you.

And Lois, in case he forgets during his altered mental states, thanks for listening to him rant :-)
Living Life Colon-Free
-----------------------------------------
RC 7/20/10
Proctocolectomy/ileo 10/22/10; Sx Path - T3N1M0
Folfox - 1/12/11; Xelox - 2/23/11
Xeloda - 3/16-6/21/11
Chemo-rad 6/29-8/8/11
NED 8/15/11

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”