The Pros & Cons of Genetic Testing

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
july181998

The Pros & Cons of Genetic Testing

Postby july181998 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:27 pm

I am scheduled to meet with a genetic counselor at the University of Chicago on Fri., May 5th. I have a family history of cc. My father, uncle, and sister all died from cc. I am 34, and I have had 7 colonoscopies over a 6 yr period and all of my scopes have had polyps. I have been reading a lot on Illinois law, along with genetic testing discrimination amongst employers, and insurance companies, and its still not clear to me. Has anyone had this test, and if so, have you experienced any type of discrimination?

Thanks,

July

kristinkatelynn-

genetic counseling

Postby kristinkatelynn- » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 pm

My sister is scheduled to meet with genetic counselors at moffit in tampa. She is believed to have hnpcc. She had a 4cm found 3 weeks ago and actually has already had surgery to remove her ascending, transverse, appendix, and 10 lymph nodes. The surgery went very well. We are now just waiting for her appt. with the couselors to find out the next step. She just turned 27 in Dec.,so she is very young for it not to be genetic. She does not smoke or drink. Anyway, you relly need to seek counseling that will keep your personal info private. There are incryptions the center should be able to use so you don't have to release your personal info. I contacted NORD and spoke with a counselor who was extemely helpful with info. I recommend you go to their website... it is the national organitation for rare diseases(NORD) and they can give you or point you in the right direction for the specific information you would like to gather. Good luck to you.
Kristin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”