Cancer and Faith?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cathie

Re: Cancer and Faith?

Postby Cathie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:18 pm

I have told people many times that having cancer taught my more than it ever took away. And I hope I'm a better person for it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone but I learned to be kinder. I learned to be patient. I learned to appreciate the small things and the big things. I really like me now. You know.... a like that comes from the inside, deep inside, from my heart, from a spiritual inside.....yes I am a Christian and I'm thankful to God everyday.

Blessings

Cathie
Dx'd colo rectal cancer Oct 2002
radiation chemo November December 2002
Surgery Mar 2003 which was a temp ileo
Summer of 2003 more chemo
Ileo reversed Mar 2004
Cancer free since then

HopeForJesse

Postby HopeForJesse » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:50 pm

WriterGirl1969 wrote:Maggie - a wonderful question and topic to bring up.
For me, I phrased the answer to this question best in the book I wrote about my journey with cancer this year. Here's the excerpt:

"I cannot emphasize enough how absolutely blessed I am to have a loving family, an amazing husband, and a God that gives me his strength when mine is just not enough. If you want to know how I can get through something like this, how I can face those terrible questions and what-may-be's, that's how. I'm not strong enough. Not even close. Not on my own. Thankfully, I'm not on my own." ...
"I don't believe that it's God's fault people get cancer, but I do believe he can use it for his glory if we have faith. We can be a light in the darkness with our words, and our strength and even by just surviving, because life is a gift. So this is my prayer. Whatever the future holds for me, I hope that this, my journey, shines a light for others. That I am able to give someone hope by having hope. That I can let someone know they can survive, by surviving. Even if it kills me.

Because surviving isn't about living so much as it's about how you live.

I'm going to live my life, every second of it that I am given, in the light."

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy

Beautifully stated, Tracy. God bless you!

I am glad to see this topic resurrected (no pun intended :D ). I have tried to be sensitive here in this area but also don't want to miss the opportunity to share the peace that faith provides on a daily basis and especially in this cancer battle. Had dinner recently with some atheist friends and the topic came up - not from me btw but from them. My encouragement to simply seek God was well received and I think that is always a great place to start for non believers and believers alike. Just seek God. You may be surprised what you find :D
DH DX 01/16 49 YO inop RC stage IV liver mets
MSS TP53 APC,BRCA2
12/15 CEA 241, FOLFOX to 11/16
LAR/ileo 5/16 Clear margins 1/29 nodes
HAI, reversal, liver resections7/16
FUDR 8/16 -NED 3 mos
Rising CEA 3/17 Xeloda, 5/17 -12/17 Erbitux & Iri stable but lung/lymph mets CEA 2.7
5/18 5 days SBRT radiation to sternum 10/22/18 surgery to remove zyphoid process met
6/11/19 5FU added to cetuximab and irinotecan CEA 16
Ephesians 3:20 Our God is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine!

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:09 pm

HopeForJesse wrote:Beautifully stated, Tracy. God bless you!

I am glad to see this topic resurrected (no pun intended :D ). I have tried to be sensitive here in this area but also don't want to miss the opportunity to share the peace that faith provides on a daily basis and especially in this cancer battle. Had dinner recently with some atheist friends and the topic came up - not from me btw but from them. My encouragement to simply seek God was well received and I think that is always a great place to start for non believers and believers alike. Just seek God. You may be surprised what you find :D

Thanks HFJ.
I agree - this is a great topic to have re-circulate. And I understand what you mean about trying to be sensitive, but I feel so compelled to share the hope and peace. So many people are so afraid and alone and don't have the support that they need. It just breaks my heart. I figure if I just love on people as much as I can, that's a way I can help. It's wonderful that you are able to share your faith. I think sometimes it's harder to do than we think, and easy to side-step chances, but when we let our light shine it's a pretty amazing thing. And if one thing is for sure, it's that it's nice to be able to still be powerful in some way when dealing with this wretched disease that likes so much to steal our power. :)

God bless and keep you!
Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

jortego128

Postby jortego128 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:42 pm

This is what she wrote back in January 2013, she was originally in Tualatin, Oregon. I feel she may be with her ancestors by now. If she had
achieved a miraculous healing, would have knocked the Kardashians off social media, yeah?

Thats kind of a strange and insensitive thing to say...? I know she originally posted in 2013, its been 3 years-- I wouldnt necessarily consider it miraculous if she was still here fighting...
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:55 am

jortego128 wrote:
This is what she wrote back in January 2013, she was originally in Tualatin, Oregon. I feel she may be with her ancestors by now. If she had
achieved a miraculous healing, would have knocked the Kardashians off social media, yeah?

......- I wouldnt necessarily consider it miraculous if she was still here fighting...

But the people of the Phillipines would, and that makes all the difference.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:52 pm

My personal opinion. I don't know how I feel tbh. My dad is a miracle (the term many say) as he should have died many times, especially yrs ago. Ruptured aortic aneurysm, collapsed on side of road around 830pm, surgery 1100pm. Should be dead, but not new to his odds. Other unexplained things I have seen. Won't go into all.
I do believe in the afterlife and spirits, many things I have encountered personally.
My recent one...I was at the gyno the other day, my doc came in and introduced himself to my dad. Dr said nice to meet you Brett (not my dad's name). I didn't say anything at the time. After our talk I said to him "My brother was Brett" (who died 2012). He said he swore my dad said his name was Brett. Anyway, long story short...weird. I feel my brother was there. Not the first time something like this has happened with my brother or others who have passed in my life. Many other odd things, even lights or things moving, and other things. Even my hub was a skeptic until he seen and had his own experience.
Believe what you will, that is your right, but no one can unconvince me of what I have witnessed, heard, felt, etc.

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:28 am

I find my faith being strengthened through my journey. I have had too many things just fall into place recently to call it coincidence. Yes, the journey has not been easy but the renewal of my faith helps give my the strength.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:26 am

As an aside, the annual hard-rubbish collection is happening in my community - which is like christmas. I 'rescue' fabrics to use in my
textile art and, funnily, today I found a little pillow with silk ribbon roses and an embroidered message: If mums were flowers,
I'd pick you.

Spring 1994, when my mother was dying, we were sorting out her funeral. I asked her what flowers she wanted:

me: how about chrysanthemums?

her: No, they stink.

me: you're not going to be able to smell them!

her: Yes I will. They stink to High Heaven.

:roll: 8)

In view of the recent threads about mothers, I could think that somebody is looking over my shoulder and cackling away.
Last edited by Maggie Nell on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
T3 N0 MX

Wonderfullymade

Postby Wonderfullymade » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Spring 1994, when my mother was dying, we were sorting out her funeral. I asked her what flowers she wanted:

me: how about chrysanthemums?

her: No, they stink.

me: you're not going to be able to smell them!

her: Yes I will. They stink to High Heaven.

:roll: 8)

In view of the recent threads about mothers, I could think that somebody is looking over my shoulder and cackling away.[/quote]

Thanks for the laugh!!
I am grateful we are able to talk about our faith on this forum! It is so much apart of my recovery and comfort through this time of what would be sheer panic if I didn't have faith in a loving God and a better place waiting for me at the end of this ... well I just can't imagine. I do pray for all those with this dreaded illness and try and let my light shine to those I meet so that they will ask what is the hope in me...so that I can pass it onto them.
DX 3/2015 53
Stage IVa CC w/liver met
BRAF/KRAS wild type MSI-High (MLH1, PMS2) not Lynch
Folfox 3 cycles
5/2015 ER for subtotal colectomomy due to perforated colon, ovary removed
Folfuri/Pantiumumab 5 cycles
8/2015 liver resection, gallbladder removed and new LN
10/2015 CT scan new nodes
10/2015 Pembro started CEA 2.2
5/2017 stable lung things, coltis, lymph nodes stable cea 1/2017 1.1
9/2017 NED CEA 1.1 ( stopped Pembro)
2/2019 ER for DVT/ PE
2/2019 clean CT (NED) CEA 1.1

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVYHLfNzgM

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:23 pm

DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Maggie Nell wrote:Image

Love them!

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Does my butt look big in this egret?
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Maggie Nell wrote:Does my butt look big in this egret?

You are one of the oddest people I know, humor to match! (Not a bad thing, unique)

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Jaysus Schweppes, Nik....I'm not odd.....I'm a Melburnian! :shock: :roll: :lol:

Watch Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Muriel's Wedding and The Castle and listen to the
serenity of a sequinned lama wedding frock.

8)
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”