Am I missing something?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
IceGal

Am I missing something?

Postby IceGal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Good afternoon, all!

I’m hoping to be able to pick the collective brain here today. I had a not-so-happy post-chemo CT scan, which led to a not-so-happy PET scan. There are follow-up plans in place, but I have an odd, nagging feeling that there is something that my docs and I are missing. I can’t put my finger on it, so thought I’d throw the situation out here and see what all you experienced folks think about it.

Quick background:

- “fibroids” appeared in CT scans starting last May, but have been doing some bizarre size changes on each scan that aren’t exactly normal for fibroids (reason for the “Mx” designation in the staging)
- “ovarian cyst” appeared in CT scans starting last Sept, but hasn’t gone away like a normal cyst
- I maintained a WBC above normal range throughout chemo
- I had a pulmonary embolism in my right lung after the second round of chemo, and then in both lungs after my seventh round (found by CT scan in late April)
- Listening to my own body, I’ve felt that “something else” is wrong, even after the right hemicolectomy and chemo

Post chemo CT in May showed that there was a 1.9cm nodule in my right lung and a 1.7cm nodule in my left lung – both new since prior to chemo. This led to a referral to thoracic surgery and a PET scan.

The PET scan showed that the right nodule had actually shrunk over a couple of weeks and that it didn’t light up at all, and that the left nodule had stayed the same size and barely lit up beyond the background noise. Decision made with thoracic surgery was to assume granulomas caused by the emboli and to just keep on eye on them with 3-month scans. This I’m ok with.

The PET did show intense uptake within the uterus, absolutely non-standard for fibroids. So – complete hysterectomy including removal of ovaries is scheduled for July 23 (they want to wait for 8 weeks after the last embolism). This I’m also ok with.

It also showed intense uptake in the left adnexa (pocket where the ovary and fallopian tube sits) extending to the sigmoid colon, but with no indication of whether it’s originating in the ovary or the colon. So – I have a colonscopy scheduled for July 4 (I’m in Canada – we get to do things like that on the 4th!) to see whether anything shows up in the sigmoid colon and if it will need to be removed during the surgery as well.

Obviously, any follow-up chemo or radiation or whatever will be decided based upon the pathology findings of the colonoscopy and surgery.

Logically, it looks to me like everything is lined up as it should be, but I still have this weird emotional feeling that there is some step or something that I’m missing. I suppose that it could just be that I’m in a holding pattern for now until the colonoscopy and the surgery give me some facts to deal with (I’m waaayyyy better with facts than with assumptions, and I SUCK at waiting!).

I just don’t know at this point. What do you folks think? Is there something obvious or not-so-obvious that I’m missing here? Or am I just a normal (overly anxious and slightly crazy) cancer patient?

Many thanks for your help!
dx 09/21/11 CC Stage II T4b N0 Mx
Right hemicolectomy 09/22/11
Xelox 8 cycles begun 11/22/11
Oxali dropped after 2 cycles due to side-effects; Xeloda only
Chemo done 05/07/12
Hysterectomy 07/24/12 benign
NED 'til 07/15/15 - whole pile of lung thangs on the CT
hangin' in for biopsy and treatment plan...

lohidoc

Re: Am I missing something?

Postby lohidoc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I am sorry that you're going through all this uncertainty - hang in there. I have nio great insight to offer. You have a plan in place, during the surgery your surgeon will have a good look around. I am assuming a colo-rectal surgeon will be available for an intra operative consult. And the rest will depend on the pathology report. It may not be what you fear!

PS CEA?
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

IceGal

Re: Am I missing something?

Postby IceGal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks, lohidoc!

I think you might have just hit the nail on the head --- I don't have my post chemo CEA or CA19-9 results yet (will get when I see the onc on Thursday). I think that just might be the "puzzle piece" that was missing from the plan in my head!

Much appreciate your reply - all best to you!
dx 09/21/11 CC Stage II T4b N0 Mx
Right hemicolectomy 09/22/11
Xelox 8 cycles begun 11/22/11
Oxali dropped after 2 cycles due to side-effects; Xeloda only
Chemo done 05/07/12
Hysterectomy 07/24/12 benign
NED 'til 07/15/15 - whole pile of lung thangs on the CT
hangin' in for biopsy and treatment plan...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”