headaches and Avastin: update

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue

headaches and Avastin: update

Postby sue » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to share my update about the headaches I've been having. I had my blood pressure checked and it was high. (at least for me) I also started to have a weird pulsing in my feet. The headaches were worse at night and all this led to the conclusion that they are being caused by the increase in blood pressure. Add to that my blood work showed protein in my urine. My doc will now stop Avastin. Fine with me. I guess my body is telling me I've had enough. Thanks to the colon club for helping me figure out all this!!! You guys are awsome. Sue

pjmanes

Postby pjmanes » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:03 am

After 2 years of chemo I didn't even think to mention the headaches I am having to the doctor (pain seems a way of life) so I was glad to see your note on Avastin. I just added Avastin to my regime in January so maybe that explains these headaches I have been getting - and maybe the tingly sleepy feeling in my hands. The Avastin is working so well though (I am stage IV) that I may just have to put up with the headaches - but at least I can stop wondering what is causing them!
Thanks, Phyl

sue

Postby sue » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Phyl
I am glad to help. They didn't really think of it either because my pressure isn't terribly high. I am a runner so my pressure is normally low so it is high for ME.
I recommend that they chart it carefully while on the Avastin, especially the bottom number (diastolic?)
The key to the diagnosis of the headaches for me was that they are definiely worse at night, when the pressure tends to rise naturally. I was given the o.k. to take advil, which helps, but I have to be careful with that because it can lower platelets.

The monoclonal antibodies like avastin are amazing drug and actally I think ithey are the beginning of a new trend in cancer treatment. I hope you get relief and your health is restored!!! Sue

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”