Xeloda side effects

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
elise

Xeloda side effects

Postby elise » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am

Hi

Does anyone else on Xeloda have a feeling like they are uncomfortable in their own body? Complete exhaustion? Nightmares? Neuropathy so bad you can't walk unless you're wearing socks and shoes?

I was expecting to feel tired but I'm sleeping 12h every night and taking a 2h nap in the afternoon. I'm getting nothing done and I feel like total garbage. And every day is getting worse... holy crap... no one I know that's done chemo has been this bad.

Does it get worse and worse or will my body get used to it?

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Sunwaterandsky

Re: Xeloda side effects

Postby Sunwaterandsky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am

High Elise,

I was exhausted on the xelox mix but felt my energy returning when the oxali portion had to be dropped. The good news is that my energy levels have bounced back up after treatment. I still have a little further to go in my re-energising, but it is coming.
Stage 3B colon cancer at 47 years of age
small benign tumour on Rt adrenal gland
Xelox started 28/10/2011 finished 04/2012
CT scan clear 16/2012
Colonoscopy Clear October 2012
CT scan clear January 2013
CT scan Jan 2016 - small 9mm lung nodule
CT scan April 2017 - lung nodule 1.5 cm, bilateral thyroid lesions
Aug 2017 Right upper lobe lobectomy for lung nodule CC met

Iwillsurvive7

Postby Iwillsurvive7 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 am

Hello Elise,

I'm on my second cycle of Xeloda, have not had any of the side effects that you describe. My side effects have been some nausea which i'm controling with anti nausea meds when needed and a bad taste in my mouth. I'm two weeks on one week off, 5 pills of 500 mg in the morning and 5 in the evening. My main problem is not able to get enought sleep. Because we're required to drink so much water with Xeloda, I find myself going to the bath room about 5 - 6 times during the night.

Rod

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 am

My husband is just going to begin Xeloda in a couple of weeks so we don't have any personal experience but I have heard that one needs to be careful of folic acid intake because it can make the side effects worse. This can be an issue because all of our flour is fortified with folic acid in the US. Will tell you in a month how the side effects are for my husband!
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 am

Things that have helped me manage fatigue and related issues while on chemo (I've been on FOLFOX, Xeloda, Avastin, Irinotecan) include:

Acupuncture

Supplements - even basic supplements like calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium, garlic - really have helped me keep my energy levels up. These are pretty tame - but of course run any supplements you are considering by your oncologist first.

Strangely, for me, exercise doesn't help a lot. For some people it does. It just makes me even more tired. If I have energy, I will try to walk, but I don't push it. I just do what I can. I tried pushing through the fatigue once and barely made it through my walk and back to my car (I was at a park). :cry: So when I do have some energy, I try to take advantage of a short walk at that time.

I don't find it "gets better" unless you change something. Chemo is chemo - it just doesn't get better on its own without some change on your part. Chemo just SUCKS!!!!!!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:42 am

You don't have 'neuropathy'.
Neuropathy is LACK of feeling, from death of neve cells (caused by Oxaliplatin, NOT Xeloda).

From Xeloda you get hand-foot syndrome, where the actual 5-FU molecules seep-out thru the fine capillaries of the soles of the feet, and eat the skin cells.
This causes exposure of the nerve cells (which havn't died and are very sensitive) and PAIN.

Read the information that your onc's office gave you regarding Xeloda, and the manufacturer's online data.
Follow the recommendations for treating hand-foot syndrome.

It will still be painful; tell your onc, and get Rx's as required for other products.

HTH,
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 pm

What else are you taking? I had no problems with Xeloda, but on the two occasions that I took Compazine for nausea, it wiped me out. My point is it might be something else.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Your symptom description makes me suspect that you are taking Oxalyplatin in addition to the Xeloda. I had Xeloda only, and the symptoms were generally mild. The exception was the hand/foot syndrome, which became progressively more bothersome as the rounds progressed.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

cecioboe
Facebook Username: Ceci Lagarenne (Higgins)

Postby cecioboe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Jim felt miserable with the Xeloda but he was also doing radiation simultaneously. He had severe fatigue, tingling and numbness in his fingers and nausea. Also had stomach pains. We attribute part of this to radiation, but his oncologist told us some people don't tolerate Xeloda very well.
Are you eating on schedule when you take it?
Talk to your oncologist and see what he has to offer...

I hope you start to feel better.
Wife to Jim Stage IV RC w/liver mets
DX 9/16/11
T3N1M1
Oct - Dec 2011 chemo/rad
1/04/12 ileo
1/16/12 LAR, liver resection
2/29/12 blockage, emer surg, ileo rev
4/16/12- 9/16/12 chemo
NED since 10/22/12
De-ported 6/24/16

IceGal

Postby IceGal » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Elise!

I just finished 8 rounds of Xeloda (dropped the Oxy after 2nd round due to pulmonary emboli) and can totally relate to what you're saying!

Exhaustion - check (I was getting around 10 - 12 hours sleep per night and didn't allow myself to nap)
Energy Level at Zero - check (it sometimes took me 3 tries to get the entire dishwasher emptied cuz I had to take a rest or two --- exercise just made me feel worse)
Nightmares - check (woke me up frequently and then took a while to get back to sleep)
Nausea - check (kept pretty much under control with ondansetron and prochlorazine taken on schedule)
Diarrhea - check (6 to 10 times per day, with no apparent relation to diet, except salads added a whole new definition for "salad shooter" :shock: )
Abdominal pain - check (again, no relation to diet, no apparent cause, finally got it under control with percocets starting at round 6)
Hand / Foot Syndrome - actually, I seemed to mostly miss this one (Yay!), but I moisturized continuously and exfoliated my feet almost daily (I was on 50mg per day of vitamin B6 with the permission of my onc)
Brain Fog - check (it took a lot for me to follow conversations, and I didn't even try to get into books or tv shows that would force me to think - it wasn't going to happen!)

I'm almost 4 weeks out from my last dose, and almost everything either has cleared up or is at least getting better. My onc figured that I'm just one of those on the "nasty" end of the bell curve for reacting to chemo (I even managed to get more pulmonary emboli while taking low-molecular-weight heparin shots during the chemo, and had diverticulitis at the end requiring a couple of weeks of antibiotics).

Talk to your onc about it and have him make sure that there isn't another cause (pulmonary emboli can make you pretty darned tired, too), and get their recommendations for what you can do to deal with the side-effects. If you do happen to be like me on that "nasty" end, then please take heart that it DOES get better as soon as you're done, and it improves actually pretty quickly.

Hope you find some ways to feel better!

Best,
Laurie
dx 09/21/11 CC Stage II T4b N0 Mx
Right hemicolectomy 09/22/11
Xelox 8 cycles begun 11/22/11
Oxali dropped after 2 cycles due to side-effects; Xeloda only
Chemo done 05/07/12
Hysterectomy 07/24/12 benign
NED 'til 07/15/15 - whole pile of lung thangs on the CT
hangin' in for biopsy and treatment plan...

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:48 pm

I actually do have some neuropathy with the Xeloda. Thumbs and fingertips mostly, and not as severe as what I experienced with Folfox.
Generally, I feel like I have the flu all the time. I would expect it's possible that it get worse, but it may not.
Going into my fourth month now on a five day on/two day off cycle (with a five day break at each five week mark- my body has screamed UNCLE at that point), with a constant state of feeling blah and diarrhea management.
Still, I prefer it to the infusion of the debilitating Folfox.
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

elise

Postby elise » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Only other things I'm on are PROCHLORPERAZINE for nausea and celebrex. I've been on celebrex for long enough (years) to know it has nothing to do with that.

Wound up in emerg today with a nasty rash all over both arms and face/ears. Hives on my back and legs too.

You're right that it's not neuropathy, it is hand and foot syndrome. NASTY! It was mostly in my feet and now it's full force in my hands too. I've read and follow all the info on how to deal with it.

I'm not sure that the symptoms I'm having is worth a 2% reduction in reoccurrence down the road. It's so depressing.

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 pm

I thought the pain from the Xeloda was part of the neuropathy from the effects of Oxaliplatin until my onc explained the numbness was from the Oxali and the stabbing pain was from the Xeloda. Yea... :roll:
Anyway, I'm almost three weeks out from taking anything (waiting to go on new regimen of Oxali and Erbitux) and my feet are healing nicely and last night was the first time in over a week that I had the stabbing pain in my feet so it will get better after you're done with the Xeloda.
When I was on the full dose of Xeloda (3000 mg daily), the fatigue was overwhelming and the nausea was too. Only when we backed off of it some (down to 2000 mg daily with B6 supplement) did it get any better.
My onc told me it was okay to take the B6. So many supplements work against the chemo that it's always a good idea to check with them first. I'm continuing the B6 until I run out just so it might help with the residual hand/foot stuff.
Last year before my surgery, I did 6 weeks of Xeloda and then started taking it again in November and went 9 rounds with that (2 weeks on and 1 week off). It seems the week off in between really helped in my toleration of the drug to some extent.
I wish you all the best! Just remember, you're fighting an ugly beast and you can do anything for a little while.
God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Guinevere-
It's my understanding that Oxaliplatin ia only effective against CRC when used in conjunction with 5FU/Xeloda, and is never used without it.
Last fall I was on Erbitux plus Irinotecan (which can be used without 5-FU), so maybe that's what is proposed?

Just my 2-cents.
-Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:59 pm

RixInPhx wrote:Guinevere-
It's my understanding that Oxaliplatin ia only effective against CRC when used in conjunction with 5FU/Xeloda, and is never used without it.
Last fall I was on Erbitux plus Irinotecan (which can be used without 5-FU), so maybe that's what is proposed?

Just my 2-cents.
-Rick

Rick,
Yeah, I'll be starting Eributux and Irinotecan some time this week, I think. I've been on Iri since last fall along with Xeloda but the tumor started growing again so we're trying this combo.
It's believed that the Oxaliplatin part of the Folfox was what caused the neuropathy I've dealt with since I started that regimen. Thank God, it's just about gone and I can feel my toes now! Yea!
Thanks for checking because I don't want anyone to be more confused than they have to be. With this disease, there's plenty of things to be confused about for sure!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”