Faith+Love+Hope= Colorectal Cancer Survivor

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Annie_6

Faith+Love+Hope= Colorectal Cancer Survivor

Postby Annie_6 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi everyone!!

I am new to this forum and I wish I had found this helpful site during my ordeal. On the plus side, I want to share my story so that I can give hope to all those who are undergoing cancer treatments.

In the fall of 2010, I was being treated for anemia. I was taking iron supplements twice a day for 7 months, but no change in my blood count. In March 2011, I had fecal occult blood tests done which showed signs of blood. In April 2011, I was finally able to get an appointment with a gastroenterologist. He did a simple exam and realized there was something wrong. I had a colonoscopy done in late April and it was there that I found out, I had Familial Adenomatous Polyposis and colon cancer. Up to this time, I had considered myself healthy with the exception of my anemia (26yrs old). There is no history of FAP and colon cancer in my family so this added to my shock. In May 2011, I underwent radiation. In Jun 2011, I had a Total proctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy surgery. The surgery went well, but a few days after the surgery, I developed an infection in the rectal area. This was troublesome and painful because a few stitches were undone so that the abscess could clear up. I forfeited my modesty since I couldn't clean the infected area by myself. My older sister became my personal nurse and shadow. In early August 2011, I had my smart port placed on my right chest area. In late August 2011, I started my chemotherapy treatment (every 2wks; Folfox + a few other meds that I cannot remember). After the first session, I realized how drained I felt as a result of the chemo. I vomitted at the least once a week and my feet/hands were very sensitive to the cold. I forgot many things such as appts., pin numbers, phone numbers and so on. My appearance changed, I began to lose my hair, lose weight and my skin was not the same. In November 2011, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto syndrome. I got done with my chemotherapy treatment in March 2012. As of 4/16/12, I am cancer free. I will continue to see my group of doctors every 4 months. Hopefully, In Oct 2012, I will have my yearly endoscopy and my first colonoscopy through the ileostomy.
My faith, my family/friends and my hope for survival helped me to conquer this illness and to learn to appreciate life itself. I hope my story helps in some way. <3

Annie
"Positive thinking isn't about expecting the best to happen everytime, but it's accepting that whatever happens is the best for this moment"

Olivia

Re: Faith+Love+Hope= Colorectal Cancer Survivor

Postby Olivia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for your post Annie_6! It is heartening to know your story and that you re doing well despite all the humps along the way.
Please keep us updated and do not hesitate to check in with questions further along your journey.
Glad you found "the club," but sorry you had to join.
Wishing you all the best .....

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”