Colonoscopy prep: what works for me

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
horizon

Re: Colonoscopy prep: what works for me

Postby horizon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:05 am

RugTheRat wrote:I have had two of these this year and used moviprep each time. It's like 32 ounces like at 6 the night before and the other 32 4 hours before the procedure. The last time I couldn't get it all down, 1st time for that.

I might even put a roll of toliet paper in the freezer to make things better...ha ha!....I hate that PART! ugh.

My 3rd colonoscopy this year is in October.....I'll try to eat less even the day before drinking this since I am already only drinking clear liquids the day before. Never knew brooth could taste so good on that day...ha ha!

Later-
B B

If you're in October you might be able to use this new prep! I learned about it from this forum and desperately want it for my next colonoscopy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sci ... 4542.story

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 312315.htm
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Cowgirl

Postby Cowgirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:07 pm

I can only tell you what didn't work for me. I followed the detailed instructions exactly in dosage, hours, etc. Two days prior I began a low fiber, minimal input diet and even cut down a bit on the volume of what I ate, then 2 Dulcolax, two days before (which had no noticeable affect) then the lovely sludge (which no matter what you put in it was pretty bad) felt nauseous, cramping, shivering, light headed, etc. but it seemed to be working. Had to get up at 2:00 a.m. to take the remaining portion for my morning procedure.

Partially cleaned me out but not entirely. Once I began taking the sludge drink I was unable to drink anything for fear I would throw it all up. I drank normal fluids prior to that, as instructed and drank plenty.

Just returned from my procedure which they only partially completed as my system didn't clear itself out. (liquid brown but no apparent bulk) I have no colon/digestive issues or other health issues. This was just for a screeing colonoscopy. My sense is the Propylene Glycol mixture didn't react well with my system. I may request a different method next time around, which will be in a few weeks as I need to get it completed and done (My friend was found to have cancer during her first, routine colonoscopy so I'm not taking any chances). I am still "cleansing" some 7 hours post procedure so seems the anti-freeze ingredient may not be the best for my system.

A nurse at the surgery center confided that about 50% of the patients don't "clear" and have to redo. This seems an inordinately high number of patients who are unsuccessful. When I called to reschedule the first question out of Nurse Ratchett's mouth was did I follow the instructions and did I drink plenty of fluids. They are pretty eager to blame the patient but I wonder if the method is not quite accurate. Both my husband and friend also had to be redone, even though both followed the instructions to the letter. Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience? :?

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am

Cowgirl wrote:I can only tell you what didn't work for me. I followed the detailed instructions exactly in dosage, hours, etc. Two days prior I began a low fiber, minimal input diet and even cut down a bit on the volume of what I ate, then 2 Dulcolax, two days before (which had no noticeable affect) then the lovely sludge (which no matter what you put in it was pretty bad) felt nauseous, cramping, shivering, light headed, etc. but it seemed to be working. Had to get up at 2:00 a.m. to take the remaining portion for my morning procedure.

Partially cleaned me out but not entirely. Once I began taking the sludge drink I was unable to drink anything for fear I would throw it all up. I drank normal fluids prior to that, as instructed and drank plenty.

Two things:

1) What you're describing sounds like the bad reaction I had to Dulcolax. I don't take it anymore. Here's more info:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21040&p=155900&hilit=dulcolax+horizon#p155900

2) It's really important to continue drinking after you've started drinking the solution. It helps prevent dehydration. The sludge makes me want to vomit also but drinking water or gatorade are fine for me in-between sludge glasses. I remember the instructions for the sludge said that if you're still not clear to drink a good amount of water.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi, I just finished with my first colonoscopy, age 55 male. They found 5 polyps 2-3 were small and 2-3 medium sized. He said they didn't look cancerous yet so depending on the lab results I'll be back in 3-5 years, possibly 10. Thanks to this and other forums I certainly learned a lot and was was a little more at ease and tailored my prep more to my liking. I was ready for the worst but have been pleasantly surprised about how well the prep and the exam went! I also asked if my colon was clean and they said it was. My appointment was 11:00AM Thursday and the prescribed prep was Monday begin a low fiber diet, Tuesday- low fiber diet and 8 glasses of water no solid food after midnight. Wednesday, clear liquids, 8 glasses of water, 2 Dulcolax at Noon and 8.3oz of Miralax mixed with 64oz of Gatorade or PowerAde or clear juices, water and none of these red in color. Didn't say specifically blue purple orange or the like but I avoided any colors like that. Things I read on the net recommended starting a low fiber diet and smaller meals earlier, so here's what I did (DISCLAIMER, what worked for me may not work so well for you). On Saturday I ate normal and had a small steak, salad etc. Sunday had a fried egg sandwich on white for lunch, baked chicken, mashed potatoes with a little butter & sour cream and canned green beans. Monday, fried egg on white again for lunch, Supper was baked flounder with mashed potatoes with butter&sour cream again, no veggie of any kind that day. Tuesday, yet another fried egg on white for lunch, snack of a bowl of yellow cream of tomato soup then for supper all I had was 1 good sized pancake with a little butter and maple syrup. All of these days I tried to drink as much water as possible with some juice, I'm trying to dissolve a large uric acid kidney stone also so have been drinking as much water as possible anyway and also trying to lose some weight so small meals fit the ticket too. Now is the fun day, Wednesday, drink 8 glasses of water through the day and take 2 Dulcolax at Noon. I was pretty hungry but drinking water and juice in the AM and a can of chicken broth at noon certainly took the edge off. The Dulcolax was supposed to work in 6-12 hours according to their site but about 3PM I had to go, maybe would of had to go then any way. I then took a shower and put a very liberal amount of Bag Balm around the area that was to get sore. There are lots of other choices besides Bag Balm but that's what I had and a friend of ours recommended it. I then mixed up the Miralax into the drinks so it would be ready. The clinic instructions said to mix it all with 64oz of the liquid of choice in a large pitcher. Now that sounded awfully monotonous to drink that much of one flavor that is not beer so I divvied up the Miralax between some lime Gatorade in one jar, some cherry PowerAde in another jar and some white grape juice in another. Now at 4PM it's time to take the first 8oz of the concoction then another 8oz every 15minutes until gone. After drinking a glass full I would drink a couple swallows of water to cleanse the palate a bit and also had a couple banana Popsicles in between at times. It was 70 minutes from the first drink for me before it was time to go, not terribly urgent but it was time. So much came out so fast that the toilet flushed by itself! Then it was every 20-30 minutes to sit on the toilet but never had to run to the bathroom. It only took a minute or so to squirt out what was needed then went and sat down in the living-room again. After about 2 hours (7PM) it was another hour before I had to go again then another couple hours and that was in until the AM. I had very little problems getting sore or raw. I read somewhere to use baby wipes, I used one and that hurt the most so quit using those and reapplied Bag Balm then just dabbed with the softest toilet paper I could find. No reason to wipe hard, hardly anything to wipe. Bought some Aloe Kleenex to use but wasn't needed. Now it's the morning of the colonoscopy. The instructions say 4 hours before the procedure to take 10oz of magnesium citrate and 10oz of water and that's all that is allowed until after the exam. Up until you take the citrate you could drink clear liquids and your meds. I'm not on any meds that I couldn't skip a day or wait until after it was done so put off the AM meds. If you need your meds then by all means take them, may want to ask your Dr. just in case there's a reason to take them earlier or? I was worried about needing to go to the bathroom on the way to the clinic after taking the mag citrate and asked the nurse about that. She said for some people you need to go 30 minutes after taking it and others just before they leave home, but if I was worried I could take it sooner. Again I worried too much, took it at about 4 1/2 hours before the exam and about 2 hours it was time for the bathroom and again in another hour or so. Maybe I'm just good at holding it but I never felt like I had to run to the can and even the last time I'm sure I could have held it for the 15minutes to the clinic.
Wife drove me to the clinic and shortly led into a room to check blood pressure, questions&answers, sign the consent? form and then off to the bathroom one more time (just a little came out) then the recovery room to get undressed down to my socks, put on a robe laid down on the little bed and cover up with a sheet. I was then rolled to the exam room talking to the nurse and got the BP&pulse machine and IV put in. She said I was dehydrated and started a saline drip, (suppose I should have had a glass of water when I got up in the night). I asked a couple days ago what I was getting for drugs, Fenanyl & Versed she said. Spent some time surfing those and read some horror stories and some praises. I knew it was a conscious sedation but thought I would be more out of it and not remember. I watched the screen and was aware of everything but was a bit groggy, I felt some pain off and on but not too bad, I'm guessing if it was worse they would have given me more drugs. Can't believe it could have been a large dose because I felt pretty good an hour or two later, especially after having something to eat. The nurse showed me the polyps in the jar and wheeled be back to the room, made sure I was OK then got my wife from the waiting room. Suppose I laid there for 20 minutes at most then stood up with the nurse there to see if I was steady enough, got dressed and left walking. A bit weak and not totally steady but wanted to walk to try and work some of the gas closer to the exit. The gas was probably some of the worse pain for the whole two days and it wasn't all that bad either. I was worried the the laxatives would give me cramps but that wasn't the case either. Got home, ate a 6" Sub, sat on the toilet, passed a bunch of gas and felt like a new man, just a bit tired from only getting about 5 hours sleep, nobody's fault but mine, late to bed and worrying for no reason.
Things I would do different for my prep. The Miralax can be mixed in lots of liquids, I'm sure they recommend GatorAde and the like because it's good for you and I would still have a bunch of it but when my wife has this done in a couple months and my next time we will, Have less less white grape juice (it was kind of heavy and too sweet, apple juice is the same way), mix a little in some chicken broth (not sure how it would taste but would be nice to have something completely different), coffee may work too for others than me (can't stand it), have a sip of broth or something different between glasses to get a different taste in your mouth, others suck on hard candy. Reason I say this is because what I had was too sweet and too similar and it will be quite some time before I have any GatorAde, PowerAde, white grape or apple juice! Not worry so much.
Sorry this got soooooo long. In my searches I had a hard time finding what to expect what happens when you take the Mirolax and never did find anything on Magnesium citrate. Also read that I would be living in the bathroom but it wasn't like that at all for me, just needed to go there quite often. Also If I had found exactly what a person ate in the preceding days I may have just followed it. The food lists I found were pretty good but did contradict sometimes. REMEMBER, this is what worked for ME!! It may be a disaster for you. Some people need to start a low fiber diet sooner or start a clear diet sooner. Just do what your Dr. says. After reading horror stories I just wanted to post a more positive one, wasn't fun fun joy joy but not bad either. I'm probably 50-60 pound overweight but otherwise in pretty good shape. Steve

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Dear Steve,

I'm so glad things went well for you :) Thank you so much for posting all the information - it's awesome information especially for people who never had a colonoscopy yet. (me) Good luck to you!!!!
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Tiwi

Postby Tiwi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 pm

I want to write what didn't work for me. Did the prep, colonoscopy did not get completed.
Failure ti get through. Dr. Suggests a virtual colonoscopy, aka a ct scan! Is this necessary? I am
51 and breast cancer runs in family, thats why I got a colonoscopy. Any ideas, because the insurance
Isn't exactly sure how to bill this. I already paid big money for the colonoscopy.
I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks Tiwi

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 am

When you don’t have a rectum, my colonoscopy prep is barbaric. There is maybe 3 second warning, and if you are not on the bowl, you are in trouble.
I just had one last Friday. Was a good clean scope and obviously pleased with that, but that prep is medieval.
I do the miralax, Gatorade, mag citrate cocktails,
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”