Two session = two hospitalization ????

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gaelen

Re: Two session = two hospitalization ????

Postby Gaelen » Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 pm

newlyweds wrote: The more I read the replies, the more I believe it is the oxi.

Hmm...well, the replies aren't telling me what your husband experienced - you did that. And from what you described, and my own experience with oxaliplatin vs. 5FU reactions, my money is on the 5FU reaction. Oxi reactions are usually immediate - often right in the infusion chair (mine happened within 10 minutes of them hanging the bag - throat swelled up and I could barely squeak out the word "reaction!" to the nurses.) Yes, an oxi reaction can be delayed - but by the time your husband had his reaction, he was a solid 3-4 hours out from the Oxi part of his infusion...although he'd gotten a bolus of 5FU toward the end of his infusion and had been getting 5FU through the pump all along. 5FU reactions tend to rear their heads after the 5FU has built up in your system...just about exactly the time after getting home that you mentioned happened with your husband.

Also, I'm not sure I'd leap immediately to getting a new oncologist because of this as someone suggested (?!?). Frankly - a 5FU reaction is so rare that I wouldn't be surprised that it stumped a doctor. Should your husband have been watched more carefully? Yes. But could his first reaction just have been a fluke, a nervous system reaction to his first infusion? Yep. So I wouldn't crucify the oncologist just yet. :roll:

Have your husband get the DPD test done and get the doc to hold further treatments until he can rule out the sensitivity to 5FU before you start self-diagnosing an oxi reaction. Maybe it is the oxi that's the culprit...but my money's on the 5FU, based on your description of your husband's reactions and the time they happened.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

sheilahincy
Facebook Username: Sheila

Re: Two session = two hospitalization ????

Postby sheilahincy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

My prayers are with you both. Tell him we all believe things will get better. I would do something makes him think you ate thinking positive. I started talking about our 40 wedding anniversary next year. I relize there is always a chance that things will change but it makes him think for a little while that everything is just like normal.

Well you all will be in prayers. Please keep in touch and let us know how both of you are doing. Take care of yourself too. I know how hard it is to stay positive with all this stuff going on.

Sheila
12-20-2011 diag Stg 4 Colon with one spot on both lungs
12-20-2011 Surgery to remove cancer from colon
02-1-2012 Started Chemo witva/Ox/5-Fl
03-26-2012 new Ct liver leasons
05-14-2012 rib leasons found
05-24-2012 folfri/ava

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”