How do I convince the doc to give me a colonoscopy? UPDATE

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mikeinmd

How do I convince the doc to give me a colonoscopy? UPDATE

Postby mikeinmd » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:45 am

Some of you may remember me from this thread: http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324 (Don't worry about going back and reading that thread. I just posted the link for clarity's sake.)

Okay, I've decided to press my gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy after heeding the advice of many on this forum. Six months ago I had rectal bleeding and quickly went to my gastro and he gave me a kit to check for blood in my stool. He said if they come back negative then we'll do a sigmoidoscopy, positive and we'd do a colonoscopy. Well, they came back negative but I never went in for the sigmoidoscopy. Yes, that was stupid. I figured since he told me he was 99% sure it was hemorrhoids that I'd go with the odds. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Anyway, last night I woke up and had some really intense pain in my rectum. I haven't had any bleeding for five months but that pain last night really freaked me out so now I'm definitely going to push for a colonoscopy.

So my question is this: what can I say to help convince my gastroenterologist to give me a colonoscopy instead of a sigmoidoscopy? I already know one thing I'll say: that sigmoids only catch roughly 50 percent of colon cancers.

Should I lie and say I have bleeding again?

I just want to make sure that I do everything possible to make sure my insurance covers this. Should I call my insurance first and ask them questions?
Last edited by mikeinmd on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Mike,

I am so proud of you and your being proactive in the management of your health! You Rock.

About the colonoscopy...I would not advise you to boldly lie (I am a believer that such would have no fair outcome...)

What I would advise you to do is to insist on a colonoscopy. Telling the physician that you have had rectal bleeding is not a lie simply do not place a time reference. It does not matter if you were bleeding rectally today, yesterday or six months ago. You have had rectal bleeding period. I have advised patient to be "creative." My medical team is some of the more creative people I have ever met. If your physician fails to refer you for a scope, find another physician, no questions or explanations. This is your health! As patients (consumers), we can to choose our providers and I recommend that one does it very carefully and mythodically. Mike, be proactive. Ask questions, demand answers.

I hope this helps and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs!

Holly

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Don't leave the Doctors office without having a colonoscopy scheduled! Tell them you just found out a immediate family member Mother Father sister brother etc had polyups removed. Tell them you have pain in your stomach tell them you found blood in your stool. Tell them anything this is your life! Good Luck!

sue

Postby sue » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:03 pm

Mike,
I had to pretty much threaten my doc. They finally scheduled me but for about five weeks later. I actually got on the phone and scheduled my own. I found a teaching hospital that would schedule me earlier without a referral. if your doctor won't do it, keep pressing until you find one who will. If you make yourself enough of a pain in their--- they most likely will finally take you seriously about your pain in the ---. (colon club humor, sorry)

Good for you, taking this on. I wish you the best of luck. Sue

Josephine

How to get your colonoscopy covered?

Postby Josephine » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:17 am

[color=darkblue]The first question to ask, Do you have and HMO or a PPO? well this does not matter too much as long as you have symptons, wether you had bleeding now or 6 months ago that is one diagnosis to use for coverage for the exam. A second diagnosis is the severe rectal pain/abdominal pain. What ever you do don't lie about yur symptons.
The only problem I see is your age , if you are young insurance companies have guidelines for certain test to be covered. I work for a physician and we do flex sigs all the time and they do the job as well. The other suggestion is you may need to find another doctor who will listen you you.
I am for preventiave care, my mother past away at age 59 of Colon Cancer, she was diagnosed at age 54 at stage IV. My screening starts when I turn 40. Best of luck! One other suggestion, don't be a bitch to the office, the nicer you are the quicker they will schedule you and make a miracle happen. :wink:

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:38 am

Josephine,

Welcome to the Colon Club! I would argue that you should not wait until forty to be screened. You have an established family history which means you are at higher risk. I would advise you to get screened sooner than later. I was dx at age 30 with stage IV CRC with no family history. Please be proactive in the management of your health! If you work for a physician who performs flex sigs than you can appreciate the previous recommendation to Mike about why he should for go the flex sig and get a colonoscopy. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Holly

michele

how do I convince the doc to give me a colonoscopy

Postby michele » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:21 am

Mike,

I agree that you need to be bold in asking for the colonoscopy not the sigmoidoscopy. But, I also agree not to lie. But, saying you have had bleeding is not a lie. I had bleeding off and on for some time and they just assumed it was hemorrhoids (as did I). So, just be firm and tell them your symtoms and concerns, family history,etc. If they won't schedule it, go to someone who will.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:01 am

I had (one) yup only (one) gross bleed. Went to my GP and she scheduled me for a barium x ray because it was the fastest way to "get on the colonoscopy wait list". Barium x-ray came back "suspicious" and then I was fast tracked to the Colonoscopy. Stage III x 2 lymph node involvement. :shock:

I thank my lucky stars that I did not ignore the bleed. I was getting ready to go to Florida for the winter and really had to think hard about not being able to go on the trip.

"Good sense" prevailed and I am very happy that I did what I did.

I live in Canada and it is very difficult to get on the Colonoscopy list ---- my kids (aged 30 and 34) are now going to be fast tracked because they have a "close relative" diagnosed with Colonrectal Cancer!!

My advice DO ANTHING, SAY ANYTHING, .........don't wait one minute longer than necessary GET A COLONOSCOPY!!!

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:01 am

I had (one) yup only (one) gross bleed. Went to my GP and she scheduled me for a barium x ray because it was the fastest way to "get on the colonoscopy wait list". Barium x-ray came back "suspicious" and then I was fast tracked to the Colonoscopy. Stage III x 2 lymph node involvement. :shock:

I thank my lucky stars that I did not ignore the bleed. I was getting ready to go to Florida for the winter and really had to think hard about not being able to go on the trip.

"Good sense" prevailed and I am very happy that I did what I did.

I live in Canada and it is very difficult to get on the Colonoscopy list ---- my kids (aged 30 and 34) are now going to be fast tracked because they have a "close relative" diagnosed with Colonrectal Cancer!!

My advice DO ANTHING, SAY ANYTHING, .........don't wait one minute longer than necessary GET A COLONOSCOPY!!!

mikeinmd

Postby mikeinmd » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:47 pm

UPDATE

I wrote my gastroenterologist an email yesterday and today his office responded to schedule a colonoscopy. I go in for it on May 12th. I'm not crazy about waiting a month but I'm happy that at least I have it scheduled. I'm looking forward to finding out what's going on and hopefully putting my worries to rest.

By the way, I decided not to lie in my email. I was just a little "creative" as Holly suggested.

Postby guest » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:36 pm

That is great! So glad you have the colonoscopy scheduled! No matter what the age-if there are problems the doctors need to use the tools available to them to make a correct diagnosis.Hurray for you for being persistent on this! I sure hope everything turns out fine for you,I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts! Thelma

maggie

Postby maggie » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Hey!
Good for you! Glad you are being persistant...and don't worry, a colonoscopy now is so much better than the alternative...not having one and finding out too late!!!
Good luck and keep us posted!
Maggie

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:02 am

Mike,

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!There is nothing wrong with creative. I am pleased to hear that you are scheduled for a colonoscopy. About the month wait, find out where you are getting the procedure. Call there and let them know that should they have a cancelation, to call you and you would be happy to rescheduled for the sooner appointment.

Mike, I am so happy to hear that you are being proactive in the management of your health! You rock!

Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”