If having cancer wasn't bad enough

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cynnycal

If having cancer wasn't bad enough

Postby cynnycal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:45 pm

i have so much pain in my butt...literally, i went to my GI doc and he says i have a fissure. bowel movements? no fun at all....
it was almost excruciating one day. to the point of tears.
my doc gave me some cream (anamantle) thats supposed to numb, and some nitroglycerin mixture to heal. but god it hurts.
i am squirming around, can't figure out how to be comfortable. (lay on one side, lay on back, sit, half sit...ugh)
i think i got it from all the exams, etc. that i've had in the past couple weeks. enema's, scopes, ultrasounds, probes, rectal exams.
god i just can't take it.
is anyone else in pain like that?

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:31 pm

unfortuneately, i am all too familiar with the painful bowel movements. i don't have a fissure, not sure what that is, but i was told that the intestines near my exit hole is inflammed. apparently, nothing can be done about it. anyhow, i was having tear jerking bowel movements, it felt like i was trying to give birth out my ass. it was mainly the first 5 days after chemo. i don't know if you are on chemo or not, but i had to stop the anti nausea pills in order to stop the painful BM's. they lasted about 4 months or so, and just in the past month has the pain totally went away. anyhow, does anyone else have any advice for this???
Jenny Fish

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes, I am also familiar with the painful bowel movements caused by chemotherapy. Now I expect to have that "razor blade" sensation when going.
I have found that if I eat a pear or any other fruit which is water-packed before I go bed with a few glasses of water, everthing comes out easier the following day, despite the sensation I previously described.

Rochelle

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 am

oh i'm just going to die. this is pain i don't wish on my worst enemy.
went to my doc again and he said it seems to have gotten bigger (ooooh, lucky me)
a fissure is basically a tear or cut right there by the anus. so essentially every time you have a bowel movement you're aggravating the hell out of it. so it's hard to 'heal' it.
he thinks i should get botox...whoa. whatever can work i guess. the next step is some sorta surgery.
i take a teaspoon of milk of magnesia at night. and a colace. i need the BM's to be the consistency of like...toothpaste. but it doesn't mean that really makes it not painful. just makes it go a bit faster so i can get on with the excruciating pain later.
this is just wrong. why oh why oh WHY do i have to deal with pain like this in addition to everything else.
aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhhh.

lendeldoty

painful bowel movements

Postby lendeldoty » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:01 pm

I've been reading entries to colon club for the last six months and feel this is the first time I can meaningfully contribute to the coversation.
To all who are actively in chemo, or recovering from abdominal surgery, this trick has worked for me for both situations---stewed prunes. I used to eat them right out of the container with lots of water. On good days, it just sort of helped with everything else I was eating that contained FIBER-- :) . Then one day, the thought occurred maybe stewed prunes (6-10) depending on severity of the constipation, might help. Cover with water and simmer for a 1/2 hour---when they're really plump mix in with vanilla yogurt and Fiber One cereal and go to bed. The next morning everything just sort of slides out! Yeah!
Hope this might help someone out there---Lendel, Stage IV colon cancer survivor
P.S. It really helps each day to get up out of bed and thank God for another day!

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:07 pm

hahah! thanks for the tip,
I actually had a botox injection yesterday for the fissure....
so far so good i guess. and for the past week i've been taking milk of magnesia every night. i hate it, but it really helped regulate things for me.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”