My Last Day and Hope

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

My Last Day and Hope

Postby CMeeks » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:45 am

Dear Everyone,

I'm sitting here. It's narly 8am. I'm about to go get on the train to get unhooked from my LAST chemo treatment. I am so excited I had to share it with all of you on here. It feel so surreal. I have some fear (what now?), but over all I'm just elated.

And I want you all to know how much this board has meant to me through this process. I haven't written a lot lately, but I do read and it does make me feel supported.

Molly, thank you for organizing this board.

Holly, thank you for planting those tulipes, which are coming up just as my days of chemotherapy end, hopefully forever.

On colonclub, I met a great friend, Sue, with whom I've emailed nearly every week. We check in on each other and talk about side effects and all that. She's wonderful!

And I've made lots of other friends too -- Billy and Ann (Ann knows a lot about nutrition guys).

Anyway I just wanted to say hello and tell you all how much I love this website.

Peace and Health,

Chet Meeks
Chet

Billy

Moving Forward

Postby Billy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:58 am

Chet,

How wonderful!!! I wish you the best of luck. I understand the apprehension you must be feeling. There some new anxiety that comes with being a cancer survivor. Even though my last time was short lived, I had to deal with a lot of emotional issues. Just remember that we are all still here for you and expect you to stick around and be a beacon for new members.

Good luck my friend!!

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Ron50

last day

Postby Ron50 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi Chet'
Congratulations on making it thru chemo,as bad as it seemed you might find the next few weeks hardest. You will go from actively fighting cancer to just waiting. It can be a very anxious time so I can only suggest you concentrate on the positives. You will start to feel better ,as the effects of chemo wear off you just get better and better. Food starts to taste good again, just remember moderation, it is very easy to put on a loit of weight after chemo. You have your life back again ,enjoy it,best wishes Ron.

pjmanes

chemo length

Postby pjmanes » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 am

I was diagnosed with Stage IV 2 years ago with 12 infected lymph nodes and 26 tumors in my lungs. I kept reading everyone saying last day of chemo - planting tulips for treatments finish. always there seems to be an end in sight. I am glad to know that most people get to end this terrible regime but it seems to be a permanent way of life for me. I feel fine so I am thinking about just stopping chemo for the summer anyway so that I have some time away from the stress of weekly chemo. However I guess it is keeping me alive so maybe I should keep it up. Has anyone else been on chemo continuously for 2 years or more with no end in sight?
Thanks, Phyl

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:32 am

Phyl,

Two words for you...You rock! Congratulations on your survivorship!

I was dx at 30 with stage IV colon cancer. The metastatisis to my liver was discovered during my resection surgery and too was resected. I underwent two different chemo regimens. I say this only to follow with this: Phyl each of our diagnosis and journeys are unique. This includes our diagnosis and extent of disease. Because my liver was resectable, that is why I had a shorter period of chemotherapy and am currently cancer free. I am grateful every day of my life. I have many friends who are survivors and have been on chemotherapy for much longer period than I was. I ask and pray that you will continue to be proactive in the management of your health. Live strong! I can appreciate your frustration and anxiety of weekly trips to the oncologists. Though I currently go every three months for follow up, the trip is no less stressful and a reminder of my journey and fear of the unknown. As are my tulips. Such is a reminder of my journey and the beauty of life. Phyl, I would recommend that you, too, plant some tulips. The tulips are a blessing. I planted (well my parents did much of the planting because I was so sick). The following spring when they bloomed, I could appreciate that I was simply alive to appreciate them. It was my hope that I would be done with chemo when they bloomed but the truth was that I had started a different regimen shortly before my tulips bloomed and would have months of treatment to go. Phyl, may your tulips represent what ever you want them to represent to you life, love and beauty.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:38 pm

Holly, I did plant tulips that first fall -and other bulbs too - and this is the 2nd spring that I am enjoying them! Thanks for your comments. I'm doing fine and am grateful to be at 2 years of survivorship. Phyllis

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:13 am

Phyllis,

Good for you! There can never be enough Tulips or other bulbs, huh? I am so pleased to hear that you are fine. We are all happy that you are a two year survivor. Keep kicking a little cancer a@#. You can do this!

Chet,

Uh? By the way, how in the heck are you?

Hugs!

Holly

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Hey Holly,

I'm doing great! Sorta. I am so glad to be done w/ chemotherapy. But my hands and feet and tongue are still numb. And I still get pretty tired here and there. But I'm feeling good overall and optimistic about being done. I can only hope that the CT Scan next month and the CEA show nothing. But right now I try not to think about all that stuff and just enjoy a whole month of freedom.

Last weekend I went to Cape Cod to celebrate. It was wonderful and relaxing. And now I'm just trying to focus on being 100% at work again (I was operating at about 75% before). It's fun getting back to work.

So far so good! You guys on here are definitely an inspiration. I know from people like Phylis that even if I do end up having a recurrence, I'll be a fighter.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Chet,

I am so happy to hear that you are well! Give the numbness time...Each person rebounds a little differently. Numbness subsided for me in about 75 days (5 half lives of Oxi). Remember ALL things are possible and way to kick a little cancer a$%!

Hugs!

Holly

p.s. Your bunch of tulips were indeed yellow!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”