Transitioning from Maintenance chemo to observation

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SoConfused

Transitioning from Maintenance chemo to observation

Postby SoConfused » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 am

Hi there - I am currently NED and receiving maintenance chemo for stage IV colon cancer with a single met to the liver.

My question is: are there any members on this forum who had maintenance chemo and eventually transitioned off of treatment altogether after a while ... and are doing close-surveillance/obvservational management? I am interested in your experiences.

Thank you.
Stage IV CC

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Re: Transitioning from Maintenance chemo to observation

Postby Terry » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Can we get a little more information? How long have you been on maintenance and with what drug/s?

I know someone that's been on maintenance for 2 yrs. with Xeloda and Avastin and has thoughts occasionally about going off or having it surgically removed. Nothing has changed at all for her on maintenance and surgically after what I've been through I think she should just stay on maintenance. We're each different and have to make our own decisions.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Who is suggesting discontinuance of maintenance? You, onc, insurance, other?

Personally, if I had even one small tumor remaining, I would at least maintain the Xeloda and Avastin to prevent further growth and spread.
Forever.

HTH, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Terry - more about my situation ... I have been on Xeloda (3000 mg/day - every other week) and Avastin (5mg every other week) since February. The regimen, if I am being honest, is completely doable. I haven't experienced much discomfort with Xeloda and Avastin really doesn't induce any chemo-like side effects. My quality of life is good and I am starting to gain my strength back.

Nobody has suggested that I go off maintenance ... and honestly, if it means that possible rogue cells are kept in check, I'm willing to stay on for as long as - well, forever; however, my question was for those who have had maintenance, has the maintenance regimen stayed effective for long? should the patient at some point consider coming off all treatment in the absence of detectable disease?
Stage IV CC

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm

I have been on maintenance chemo (5fu+Avastin) for almost two years, I have been NED for about a year. Last time I took a long chemo break the little bugger(lymph node) lit up again. Sometimes I feel like crap but I am on an every three week schedule so it is doable. I have taken a couple six week breaks but it is all I plan on doing for now. If the buggers pop up on chemo I will look for plan B.
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm

thanks Pollo for responding to my post ... very glad to hear you're one year NED. I hope that maintenance chemo buys more a lot more NED time as well.

Did your lymph node pop back out after you had taken a complete break from chemo? how soon after the break was the darn C back?
Stage IV CC

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”