Ultra low anterior resection and cycling!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Ultra low anterior resection and cycling!

Postby jane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 am

Brownbagger might be the best to answer this?

I recently started going to a cycle/RPM class at my local gym. I need to wear padded bike pants and use a padded seat but still suffer with tail bone pain for a day or so afterwards. I wondered if this is a result of the ultra low surgery or is it normal for cyclists. I work really hard in the class but do feel disadvantaged by the discomfort. It's not something I want to discuss with the instructor!

Cheers,

Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

raym

Re: Ultra low anterior resection and cycling!

Postby raym » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:17 am

You may want to try a different seat that has less padding and perhaps cut outs to change the pressure points. Seats come in different sizes and a wider one may help. Stop by your local bike shop and they can help with finding a seat that fits well. Though not sure if you can easily swap the seat on the spin bike, you make need to purchase additional parts to create a custom seat that is easily swapped on and off the bike.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 am

I'm with ray on this one. Sounds like a seat issue to me. They don't do anything in an LAR
that would mess with your tailbone, I don't think. Good luck!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am

I agree with Ray and Eric. Some of the spinning bikes have incredibly uncomfortable seats. You may want to ask at the club if they will let you change the seat. I have seen it done at some clubs, and others have not allowed it. Personally, I find that shifting around in the seat and changing positions helps a little. Also, it relieves some pressure if you stand every so often when pedaling. Usually, if one person does it, others who are also uncomfortable, seem to follow. A good instructor won't care if you are sitting or standing. They realize that everyone is different, and need to make adaptations for their body.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 am

What Jeff says about standing and pedaling is a really good suggestion. Just standing by itself is not enough. You need to pedal standing up. That increases the blood flow to your buttal area, making pain a thing of the past. I try to stand up and pedal every 20 minutes or so when riding. Generally, standing up and pedaling while climbing steep hills accomplishes a number of good things at one time--gets you up the hill easier and gets the blood flowing.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Postby jane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied - especially Brownbagger - I didn't realise what a big day he had planned . ! Hope all goes straight forwardly.

Shame they make the seats soo uncomfortable' I know some people won't go because of them!

I'll persevere as it's such a great workout - and not worry about adjusting myself/ standing when I need to!

Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 am

Rpm usually involves standing quite a bit - love those hills. I got a sore butt before surgery if i hadnt done it for a while and get one after. Jts normal, nothing o do with surgery. Although it was funny the time i didnt even realise i was sore and had a rectal exam. I yelped, lol

lakeswim

Postby lakeswim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Jane. It's been many years so not sure you are still on here, but wondering if you ever found a solution. I too experience this tailbone issue and general rectal discomfort "fullness" after cycling and I'm looking for answers. Padded shorts don't seem to cut it for me. I wonder if it's a female thing?
lakeswim

jane wrote:Thank you to everyone who replied - especially Brownbagger - I didn't realise what a big day he had planned . ! Hope all goes straight forwardly.

Shame they make the seats soo uncomfortable' I know some people won't go because of them!

I'll persevere as it's such a great workout - and not worry about adjusting myself/ standing when I need to!

Jane
Female - RC dgns @ 49 y
Adenocarcinoma
10-11 cm from anal verge ("large")
Stage 3a - T4N0M0
FOLFOX May -Sept 18
Capecetabine + Radiation - 28 sessions - Oct - Nov 18
Jan 19 - MRI & flex sig show tumor gone, Chest/ab CT no change
Feb 19 - MRI & flex sig show tumor gone
W&W (must travel)
.....W&W surveillance 2019,2020,2021,2022,2023....
Jan 24 - approaching 5 years this Spring with W&W surveillance to end.
*grateful*

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”