post-resection update and scared of pathology report...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jlmarkowitz

post-resection update and scared of pathology report...

Postby jlmarkowitz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi all,

An update from my last post as I am out of surgery, at home, and received my pathology report today... First of all, surgery was successful in that the entire tumor was removed from my descending colon. The pre-surgery PET/CT scan showed no metastasis anywhere. I came home from the hospital on Saturday and am recovering well, but the pathology report really threw me for an emotional loop today. They said 1 out of 43 lymph nodes were affected and that the affected node had been removed in surgery. So they said I "technically" don't have cancer now, but chemo is a must (beginning 4 wks from now) ...I don't know a lot about cancer, but I know that when it goes to a lymph node it's not good. I have been crying a lot this afternoon and I am terrified that this will come back again, or that I'll spend the rest of my twenties being sick, etc....

The post-surgery plan is exactly as it was before: 6 months of chemo. But for some reason, it feels so much scarier now...

I know all situations are different, but am I overreacting? I'd almost like to hear that I am, because I am just very afraid and not sure what to think now with this little one lymph node making all the difference, it seems....

Tami T

Re: post-resection update and scared of pathology report...

Postby Tami T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

I totally understand how you feel, I was almost at the same place you are last year - my surgery was on March 17th, sigmoid colon. I have 2 lymph nodes affected and had to have 6 months of chemo as well. I was very scared, but also felt confident that it had all been taken out with the surgery and that the chemo was " mop up ". I will not lie to you, I had some issues about 3/4 of the way through the chemo, blood clot, severe dehydration, etc.. and I had to stop oxy at treatment 9, stop all together at 10.

I just got my CT scan done last week and it was great, nothing "lighting" up. Now onto my one year colonoscopy in a couple of weeks.

My advise is this, stay on top of the neuropathy, once you start feeling any sensation in your fingers and/or toes that lingers for more than when you are sensitive to the cold, let your doctor know. Don't be afraid to call them about anything, that is what they are there for. If you need fluids a few days after chemo, get them, try to avoid dehydration at all costs.

Best of luck to you, I know you will do fine, hang in there, 6 months may feel like forever but will go by fast and know that there are lots of people here cheering you on and wishing you well.

Tami

soccermom

Postby soccermom » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Glad to hear your surgery went well. It is scary facing chemo for anyone but it really doesn't seem fair that you are so young. I too was extremely nervous about the chemo but I have had 4 treatments so far and while it is not fun it has not been as bad as I thought it would be. There seem to be a lot of people with lymph node involvement that do well. I know the fear of what if it comes back but I just try to face it one day at a time! Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
Stage 2A colon cancer
T3 N0 M0
0/21 lymph nodes
Jan 2012 to June 2012 Folfox
9 rounds of oxi

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

One out of 43 is AWESOME! Even if it were 0 out of 43, chemo would be strongly suggested. Your chance of recurrence is very, very, very low.

You're not overreacting. Anesthesia side effects can cause a temporary depression in even people who have no tendency for depression. Also, your body is still in 'shock'.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

raym

Postby raym » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

This disease is so unpredictable. Some with no lymph node involvment have a recurrance. Some with numerous lymph nodes do fine. My outlook is move forward with treatment and hope for the best. The chemo is there to clean up any cancer cells that are left over, either from being disturbed during surgery, or just floating around in general. Chemo is not 100% of course, but for many it does the job.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Just think of it as kind of an insurance policy - that helps guarantee no recurrence. You are in your 20s, so chemo will be very do-able. You'll get through it and life will return to normal. Doing this course of chemo statistically improves your chance of no recurrence, so it's the best idea to do it!
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

KellyW
Facebook Username: Kelly Olsen Williams

Postby KellyW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 pm

janklo wrote:Just think of it as kind of an insurance policy - that helps guarantee no recurrence. You are in your 20s, so chemo will be very do-able. You'll get through it and life will return to normal. Doing this course of chemo statistically improves your chance of no recurrence, so it's the best idea to do it!

this is how it was presented to my friend as well- an "insurance policy". She had stage 1 breast cancer- they called it stage 1 but one node showed positive. She had chemo b/c her cancer was estrogen dependent which is really not similar to colon cancer but they did tell her like what the previous poster said, an "insurance policy".
Kelly, Mom of 2 rad little boys (6 and 3), navy wife, jewelry maker, shopping enthusiast!

dx 1/31/12. Adenoma carcinoma with cancer growing down stalk. Colon Resection 2/29/12, no chemo in nodes or colon tissue, no further treatment.

Toby57

Postby Toby57 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 pm

No, you are not overreacting. Most of us if not all had the same reaction to the news with shock ,disbelief, why me , and the fear of the unknown. You have a lot going for you and for starters you are young and that will make you go through chemo a lot smoother than most who have other medical issues. Also, to have 1 out 43 positive nodes is statistically good since most doctors remove at Least 12 but to have that many removed I was told is In our favor. Many that are a lot worse beat it, I think you are in a better position than a lot of us, and your prognosis is very good. Recover from surgery , and with the support of family and friends, you will breeze through chemo and carry on with your life by staying strong. Goodluck.
54/ Father of 4 . Married to a loving wife
Dx cc Oct.2010/ colon resection,40cm of colon removed.
Stage 3B , 4/37 nodes.
T3N2A, kras Wild
Completed 12x Folfox , June 2011.
Clear Scans June & Dec, 2011, CEA normal.
Live , give , and forgive.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”