CT Scan results

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lizzielew

CT Scan results

Postby lizzielew » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi - I am fairly new to this board and have a question regarding CT Scan with contrast. I had a right hemicolectomy in December with no involvement with lymph nodes with a cancerous tumor removed during surgery and no chemo after. I have been experiencing pain, more like discomfort than pain, in the abdomen around the surgical sight (after discharge from hospital, I went back to hospital with an infected incision). I had a scheduled post op appt with my surgeon and discussed it with him and he sent me back to my GI doc thinking it had something to do with my stomach and maybe the GI should do another endoscopy. I went to the GI doc and he said he first wanted to do a CT Scan with contrast. I talked with his office today and this is what I was told: that it looked fine, but that I have an "absyss" on my liver, nothing to worry about. What I would like to know is, can you tell the difference between a cysyt, an absyss, and a tumor on a CT Scan or do you need a PET scan to determine that? I have an appt next week back at the GI doctors and I want to know what I need to ask him or at least feel like I know what I'm talking about. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was dx as stage 2A. Thanks.
Lizzie
Stage 2B Colon Cancer
Colonoscopy 11/11
Right Hemicolectomy 12/19/11
0 Lymph Node Involvement
No Chemo
3 month followups

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: CT Scan results

Postby SkiFletch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

You should ask him exactly the question you just posed us. My non-certified opinion is that yes these things can be differentiated well with CT scans. However that doesn't mean you should not be treating the abcess with some form of antibiotics or insertion of a drain. So ask your Doc what he/she wants to do about the issue as well as his/her certainty about the diagnosis. Good luck and relax. If you do start getting feverish or experience serious pain, call the doc immediately and consider the ER, otherwise just go on about your business. Worrying yourself sick about it will get you nowhere :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I did a search for CT scan mis-diagnosis and a bazillion hits came up (I exaggerate, of course).

Depending on the area being evaluated, misread CT scans have occurred in as many as one-third of all cases. This suggests that one out of every three CT scans may be incorrectly evaluated, resulting in misdiagnosis and complications.

An abscess would need treatment! Also, do you still have your gall bladder?
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

lizzielew

Postby lizzielew » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Yes, I still have my gallbladder. My appendix was taken during my surgery, but not the gallbladder. But, I did have an ultrasound before surgery of the pelvis to look at the gallbladder and it was "unremarkable", I think that was the term. I am concerned about this "abcess" on the liver. And am also concerned that I wasn't given an antibiotic. This whole experience with multiple doctors is very overwhelming to me. I want to be able to trust and believe my doctors. So far, I'm having a hard time doing that. I have an appt with him next week. I guess I better start writing out my list of questions for him. Also, does the doctor usually actually see the CT Scan or do they just rely upon the report given to them? Just wondering.
Lizzie
Stage 2B Colon Cancer
Colonoscopy 11/11
Right Hemicolectomy 12/19/11
0 Lymph Node Involvement
No Chemo
3 month followups

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”